back to article Monday: Intel defector touts Arm server chip. Wednesday: Intel shows off new server chips

Intel will today add the D-2100 x86-64 system-on-chip to its lineup of Xeon D x86-64 processors, billing it as its "fastest low-power edge processor." The Xeon D CPU family is aimed at powering web servers, high-speed cellular broadband towers, regional and branch office systems, warm file storage in the cloud, data center …

1. CAPS LOCK

Another day - another ARM server chip startup. Meanwhile at Intel...

... economists are working out how much to cut the price of Xeons to so you go out of business. See El Reg passim for details...

1. P0l0nium

Re: Another day - another ARM server chip startup. Meanwhile at Intel...

Brian : Hey Diane, while you're on sabbatical why don't you sign up with Carlyle group and loose them $Billion.

Diane : Great plan!! That will ensure Qualcomm's Centriq faces even MORE competition and gets shut down earlier and both going bust together will discourage any other ARM server entrants,

Brian : High Five !! - You can be Intel's HR director when the dust settles/

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do these still have the spectre and meltdown chip flaws? I'm guessing by the omission that they do.

1. Sil

Yes they do, and will need system software updates, a regrettable omission from The Register.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Meltdown and Spectre

All modern Intel x86-64 chips are affected until further notice - this is a Skylake part so it's vulnerable. I've made that clear in the piece.

C.

2. Cynic_999

"

a regrettable omission from The Register.

"

Unless the article was been updated between the time you read it and I read it, It was most definitely not omitted. Perhaps you did not read to the end?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Pass, I honestly didn't see that before so it's either me missing it or it was added. if it's me then I claim "honest mistake governor"

3. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

ABI finaly available

Anything But Intel may finally be not just preferable but possible.

4. TrevorH

Or perhaps the news release has to do with the leaks... https://www.anandtech.com/show/12387/skylaked-creeps-out-on-intels-price-list

5. Bronek Kozicki
    Joke

Yes, but does it ...

... run Meltdown exploits ?

1. Hans 1
      Windows

Re: Yes, but does it ...

Short answer: Yes

Bonus, it runs Meltdown exploits as well ... ;-)

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
        Meh

... so platform-wide compatibility at no extra charge.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

.. run Meltdown exploits ?

Yes but faster, at lower power and with reduced cost of ownership

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Surely you mean reduced cost of p0wnership.

6. Hans 1
    Coat

Intel, cirkey, you are funny

Wednesday: Intel shows off new server chips

With or without meltdown/spectre vulnerability ? Since they have to re-design their very basic CPU layouts I doubt their CPU's have been fixed so soon ... my builds takes 2.5 times as long as before the MS-supplied Spectre/Meltdown fixes, so I am just saying ....YMMV, mine sucks golf balls through garden hoses ... as my German mates say: "Einfach Griff ranschweißen und wegschmeißen!"

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Intel, cirkey, you are funny

Well, yes, but have you seen where these chips are supposed to be working?

I suspect Intel is going to have its work cut out for it trying to persuade Huawei et al. to cram Xeon's in cell masts. And that was before Trumpland told Huawei to go fuck itself…

7. ForthIsNotDead
    Stop

Yes... But does it actually work?

As in, Spectre/Meltdown?

No?

Well fuck off, then, Intel.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge
      Stop

Re: Yes... But does it actually work?

Okay... which CPUs are not affected by either Spectre of Meltdown?

1. Bronek Kozicki

Re: Yes... But does it actually work?

AMD CPUs are not affected by Meltdown, only by Spectre. The workaround to the former is really expensive in terms of CPU overhead on Intel (and exactly 0 cost on AMD), especially if your workloads involve lots of IO, which is why I plan my next upgrade to AMD Epyc (from Xeon Ivy Bridge). The workarounds to Spectre are still appearing, but so far all are pretty cheap.

8. Daniel von Asmuth

what the dell is a low-fastidiousness poweredge processor?

Support for half a terabyte of memory looks underwhelming.... Is 110 Watts supposed to be low-power?

Is Intel QuickAssist the fastest helpdesk in the industry?

9. JJKing
    Unhappy

Bloody Intel and MS turds.

This reminds me of the Floating Point issue that Intel said would only occur ever 27 years so nothing to worry about. Pack of arseholes. If someone wants to start a Class Action against them for incompetence and hiding the flaw, COUNT ME IN!

Bloody Microsoft patched windows 10 and they can't be uninstalled. After that happened, though it may be coincidental, I periodically loose web browser connection. Can ping an IP and URL but no browser will resolve to either. Have to reboot to get it back working.

10. Dan 55 Silver badge

Xeon D-2100 a coincidence, Chipzilla assures us

Dinosaur de-facto monopolies always have something ready to announce should the minnow-sized competition dare to launch a new product which competes with their line up.

Otherwise it'll never see the light of day. I mean, why would it if they're the monopoly?

11. Stuart21551

inventors

do not trust intel

12. JakeMS
    Thumb Up

Friday..

AMD announces new server CPU?

Might as well have all three announce a new CPU!

13. Nimby
    Mushroom

32 PCIe Lanes

It almost doesn't even matter how many cores or what speed they are. For what these CPUs are intended to do, having only 32 PCIe lanes* (in theory, in practice this number will be reduced by use of builtin components) is the real joke. Intel really badly needs to work on correcting this bottleneck. It's bad enough in a regular PC, but in a server or workstation? Who cares how many threads your software can theoretically run when your CPU is always stuck waiting for the data to come in! Intel needs to stop fixing the wrong bottleneck.

14. Nimby
    Facepalm

Melt your Spectre down.

As for Meltdown and Spectre, here's a point of elucidation for those who apparently need it: It is not just Intel. Meltdown and Spectre are both speculative branch prediction / out-of-order execution (OoOE) attacks. Meltdown targeted Intel's implementation specifically. Spectre is a broader attack using multiple techniques / variants for a more generic approach. And there's nothing preventing the addition of even more Spectre variants in the future. OoOE has been a buzzword since the early 90s, making these attacks possible on chips over 20 years old! (Assuming you can find one still running anyway.) These vulns affect pretty much every company that has ever made a CPU, ever. Yes, Intel. Also AMD, ARM-A, even PowerPC. (And potentially other less-known oldie-but-goodies like DEC Alpha, SPARC64, etc.) To perpetuate the myth that this is an Intel-only vuln, or that Intel is somehow the only company to ever implement OoOE in a CPU is just wildly misinformed. Nor was it a bad concept to fill unused execution units with future possibilities to make execution faster and more efficient. It just needs further refinement to mitigate attacks.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like