back to article ITU aims to to keep the radio on with new satellite regulation fees

The International Telecommunications Union (ITU) will next week discuss changes to satellite constellation regulation and fees, an effort needed to keep space useful for communications The ITU currently charges flat fees when called upon to consider how to accommodate a satellite's communications needs, a scheme developed a …

1. Mark 85

so that the only interference they encounter is bureaucratic and friendly.

Bureaucratic and friendly... there's two words I never thought I'd see used together.

2. A Non e-mouse Silver badge
    WTF?

1,000 Satellites?!?

Flat fee for a set maximum number [...] of 1,000 satellites

WTF? Why on Earth (Or in Space!) would you need 1,000 satellites in one orbit?

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: 1,000 Satellites?!?

Satellite internet. Elon Musk is not the only one with such a plan. Low orbit minimises latency, large quantity provides bandwidth.

1. Oengus

and coverage. Individual low orbit satellites can only cover a small portion of the earth's surface. A swarm of '000s can cover the entire planet.

2. Mage Silver badge

Mass market mobile or internet. It's still not as much capacity as a fibre bunch cable serving one street.

The limit is launch costs. If they were low enough then you might see a 10,000 sat constellation. Geo satellites are 4 x 22K mile round trip. Closer satellites (low latency) whizz past quickly so you need 1000s just for the traffic of one multi-beam Ka band geo-sat.

1. Martin Gregorie
        Joke

Has anybody calculated the LEO satellite population needed to guarantee a 1% chance of collision with a new launch?

1. nagyeger

The probability that one 'rapid disassembly' will have a reasonable chance of causing another has been calculated numerous times. I seem to remember that if you pick the right orbit then a bit of precession, etc. will effectively obliterate anything in a similar orbit. But it's a long time since I was last at a space debris conference, so I don't remember the details.

2. joed

And the lower the orbit, the shorter the lifespan. Even then, operators resort to microcells to provided acceptable level of service in subscriber dense areas - there's no way these low orbit satellites could support this type of service. And limiting interference will be a challenge. I'd also be curious of power requirements for the uplink from cell phone.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like