back to article Red Hat tries CoreOS on for size – and buys

Enterprise Linux biz Red Hat on Tuesday said it has reached an agreement to acquire CoreOS, a maker of open source container software, for $250 million. CoreOS, a 130-person San Francisco company founded in 2013 by CEO Alex Polvi and CTO Brandon Philips, makes Tectonic (an enterprise-oriented Kubernetes platform), Quay (an …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Great /sarcasm

CoreOS was in so many ways the better thought out proposition. Which happens to be why I stopped tracking Docker and still kept an eye on CoreOS. I dearly hope Poettering is kept well away from etcd.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge
      Unhappy

Re: Great /sarcasm

It's Red Hat. They'll give the whole thing to Pottering, and he'll build it into systemd. It will end up riddled with bugs and with security as an afterthought's afterthought. When the first logoed vulnerability emerges, he'll blame end users. Nobody will be able to fix anything because all the logs will be binary, and corrupted by the attacks.

Red Hat will snicker and go "who else are you going to buy from". Three more RHEL derivatives will emerge the next day. Oracle will pretend it didn't hear anything about any of this.

So, you know, a standard Tuesday in IT.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You do light up my life so ... well. Time to go take a double dose of all my antidepressants.

On the plus side, rejigging the lab is going well.

decker_mage

2. Alistair

@ Trev;

Upvote done. Still need to make it out your way to buy you a beer or three, while we bitch about Lenni. Perhaps when it's thawed out a bit in june.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Come in may. Openstack Vancouver. It's a great reason to hit the continent, and also it's Vancouver, not Edmonton. That's always better.

2. Tim99 Silver badge
    Pint

Trevor

I can only upvote you once. Have one of these too >>=====>

3. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Redhat, Google?

Google, Redhat?

I can't make up my mind which has gone faster and further towards the dark side.

1. Korev Silver badge
      Linux

Re: Redhat, Google?

At least as it's opensource, people can spin off the projects if they feel the urge.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Redhat, Google? @Korev

It is open source, but I'm sure this project is so much beyond "Hello, World!" that the urge would need to felt across several big companies to fund the fork and its further development and upkeep.

1. Korev Silver badge
          Thumb Up

Re: Redhat, Google? @Korev

Good point

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

CoreOS is SystemD already

CoreOS is basically a Gentoo Derivative but with the package manager(emerge) removed.

SystemD preinstalled + Docker.

And "ignition" - some JSON configuration file which fills out SystemD unit files - so there is no escape, no C compiler, and everything runs in a container - or is statically linked, or is just a pain to install.

They go to some lengths to disguise the Gentoo heritage, but it's getting some traction with DC/OS (separate software bundle from Mesophere) being the quick start tooling for Kubernetes/Mesos clusters on AWS, and DC/OS choosing to make that bundle use CoreOS as a base rather than say CentOS or Debian.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like