back to article Are you taking the peacock? United Airlines deny flight to 'emotional support' bird

An artist was left spitting feathers after United Airlines told her she couldn't board a plane with her "emotional support" peacock. In a video published by travel site JetSet, the woman is seen wheeling her case across the departures hall in Newark airport, New Jersey, with the large bird perched atop her shoulder, as …

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

The real question

The real question is: How much ad revenue did this "artist" collect?

This has all the hallmarks of a youtuber stunt done to collect revenue.

1. Steve K

Re: The real question

Yes - I am sure that this tale will expand alarmingly to reveal more detail

1. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

The 'revealing part' was in another article in the Independent:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/peacock-emotional-support-animal-dexter-flight-barred-artists-ventiko-newark-los-angeles-united-a8186671.html

Where 'Ventiko' is seen posing nude with said Peacock. So yes, she's using the usual nudity and controversy angle for self promotion.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Where 'Ventiko' is seen posing nude

Ughh... where is the bleach to remove some of the pics from my cerebral cortex.

There are two birds in them - one is pretty, the other one err... not so much. I am leaving the guess on which one is which as an "exercise to the reader".

By the way the Independent was trying to be stroppy about collecting its revenue share (don't we all love these [scam] artists). Looking at how much sh**** was in blocked by noscript + adblock they can f*** off.

The Indy is pretty unusable with adblock, you can't reply to comments with it switched on. If their journalism was decent I'd enable adverts, but their science and tech is shamefully poor, all written by journalism grads who know nothing about anything technical.

1. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge

...their science and tech is shamefully poor, all written by journalism grads who know nothing about anything technical....

It's funny that people who support the political opinions of a newspaper never complain about the 'Opinion' sections - even though the level of competence shown in such discussion is very low amongst ALL the major newspapers - both Left and Right,,,

Steady on, I for one didn't say I had no problem with the opinion pieces. I was merely replying in the context of technical articles.

I have plenty of problems with 'opinion' pieces, although usually with the Grauniad and the Telegraph, because they take themselves far too seriously.

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

but their science and tech is shamefully poor, all written by journalism grads who know nothing about anything technical

Even worse that Rory "All I need to learn about technology I learnt from reading Apple Press Releases" Cellan-Jones?

My missus tells me off for growling at the screen when he's on.

2. David Gosnell

Image in Independent article, linked above

Doesn't that technically count as fellatio?

Re: Image in Independent article, linked above

IIRC an episode of QI correctly, goose neck was once written about as the best thing to wipe one's bum with.

So in short, I have no idea what's going on.

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Yes - I am sure that this tale will expand alarmingly to reveal more detail

The more eyes on the subject, the better!

(PS: having stayed in a holiday cottage with peacocks and peahens all around the place, I can confirm that a) they wake up unfeasably early and b) they make a noise like a chicken being strangled which leads one to wonder if a peacock being throttled after it wakes you up at 5am makes the same noise..)

2. Korev Silver badge
      Coat

How much ad revenue did this "artist" collect?

You mean "feather her nest"?

2. Aladdin Sane

Call me a cynic

But what's the betting that she did this for the free publicity?

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: Call me a cynic

But what's the betting

I think you'd struggle to find a bookie that would give you any odd on that..

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

""emotional support" peacock"? Sorry but that just doesn't fly with me.

1. Christoph

Maybe take an emotional support Skunk with you on the plane?

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Pint

Maybe take an emotional support Skunk with you on the plane

you deserve a beer!

I can think of other 'emotional support' animals that would be equally disruptive...

a) rattlesnake

b) albatross

c) tazmanian devil

d) marlin

Re: Maybe take an emotional support Skunk with you on the plane

I can think of other 'emotional support' animals that would be equally disruptive

You missed a few:

e) Troupe of howler monkeys

f) Siberian Tiger (thorn in the paw is optional)

g) Grizzly bear that's just woken up from hibernation..

1. Updraft102

Re: Maybe take an emotional support Skunk with you on the plane

Honey badger.

It would make a great emotional support companion... just follow its example about things that scare you.

2. Rich 11

Maybe take an emotional support Skunk with you on the plane?

It'd only be allowed aboard if it had come from Lockheed Skunkworks.

4. NoneSuch Silver badge
    WTF?

I'm sure her comfort animal would be welcome on a train. In the baggage compartment.

1. Ugotta B. Kiddingme
      Trollface

Re: NoneSuch

"I'm sure her comfort animal would be welcome on a train. In the baggage compartment."

or the galley...

1. Aladdin Sane

Apparently it tastes like turkey.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It does. Swan tastes of Golden Eagle too...

2. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Apparently it tastes like turkey.

I was under the impression it was more like pheasant, since peafowl are basically larger, noisier, messier and more aggressive pheasants.

5. EveryTime

17 hours gets you halfway across the country?

If you can do that, you aren't taking a leisurely pace. Time to enter the 2904

http://www.the2904.org/

As for the main story, while the airlines probably didn't surreptitiously sponsor this, they certainly are cheering on this story. Free-riding "emotional support animals" cost them time, effort and potential revenue. Last month's dog attack on Delta is giving all of the airlines an opportunity and excuse to tighten the rules.

And really, we all agree that the vast majority of "emotional support animals" are simply pets owned by self-centered people. They aren't in the same category of extensively trained service animals.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Back in the 1970s a youngster said he had driven Jo'burg to Cape Town in 12 hours***. Owing to the Arab petrol restrictions at the time - the maximum speed limit had been reduced to 50mph. He said the various local town traffic police never caught him because they were not expecting someone to fly past their stationary vehicles at that speed.

*** distance about 1200 miles - mostly on a pretty much dead straight road across a flat plateau with sparse populations.

1. emmanuel goldstein

I used to regularly drive Cape Town to Jo'burg and it's more like 850 miles. 12 hours is still very, very quick though!

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"[...] and it's more like 850 miles"

Maybe he took the scenic route :-)

Must admit I didn't check my memory of the quoted distance. I only ever did it by plane.

2. Mark 85

Go back in time the infamous "Cannonball Run"....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannonball_Baker_Sea-To-Shining-Sea_Memorial_Trophy_Dash

3. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Unhappy

"They aren't in the same category of extensively trained service animals."

ack - but try telling THAT to an S.J.W. that *FEELS* that all corporations (especially airlines) are evil entities that deserve to be punished... by THEM... at EVERY opportunity, no matter WHO gets inconvenienced.

@BB

Give it a rest eh? Your class war stchick is getting even more boring than usual.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: BB

No, I don't want him too, although I disagree with BB on some things, YOU are not the arbiter of what's acceptable on here or did BB hurt YOUR "inside sjw"?

After all, you were clearly triggered.

6. Andytug

Poor choice

They are by some way the stupidest bird in the world, they make pheasants look intelligent.

1. kain preacher

Re: Poor choice

They are also mean.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

and very noisy. We spent a fitful night at Portmeirion when they had peacocks wandering about the place. I gather they don't have them now.

1. Mage Silver badge

Like tortured cats. Not pleasant to have on your roof at 2AM.

The pea "hen" lays decent eggs, but is rather protective of them.

Think swans, but really really noisy, egotistical and stupid.

Guinea fowl are dumb too.

Rooks may not be pretty, but very very much smarter.

Rooks may not be pretty, but very very much smarter

Rooks are corvids - which automatically makes them the top strata of bird intelligence.

Tasty too - as my dad used to attest.

1. Updraft102

Rooks are corvids - which automatically makes them the top strata of bird intelligence.

Tasty too - as my dad used to attest.

Taking the "eat crow" thing a bit literally, ya?

2. bombastic bob Silver badge

I used to work near Scripps Ranch in San Diego, where there were a large number of peacocks. You could hear them sometimes in the parking lot, "Ar,AH!, Ar,AH!". I only live a few miles from there, and one day I saw a pea-hen on top of someone's car. The owners were trying to get it to come down. I guess it flew the ~10 miles from there (or maybe it was from the zoo, which is a little closer) and just landed on that car for no good reason, and just sat there. Those birds are HUGE.

2. Dr Dan Holdsworth

I would second this.

I heard a tale of a peacock sold by one farmer to another neighbouring farm. Periodically the peacock would decide to "go home", and would set off across the fields.

It would be found, stuck in the same too-narrow gap in the same hedge every single time. It never learned not to enter tight holes in hedges, and it never remembered that that particular hedge was the problem.

Truly, peacocks are incredibly thick birds!

1. Andytug

We had a large number of greenhouses behind our house, the peacocks from the house up the road would regularly walk along the guttering then fall through the glass and have to be chased out.

Throwing things at them doesn't work, they are too stupid. Any other bird sees the movement of your arm going back and takes flight. A peacock watches the stone go past it and looks at it as if to say "oh look, a stone". They also don't move for cars at all, until you're practically touching its head with the bumper.

Add the noise and why anyone thinks they're wrrth having is beyond me!

3. nsld

Going to have to disagree as I have the 'joy' of both a flock of peafowl and live on a shooting estate with loads of pheasants.

The peafowl are streets ahead of the pheasants in intelligence terms.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

By stupid bird, are you referring to the "artist" or the peafowl???

7. adam payne

A peacock as a comfort animal? sorry but this has publicity stunt written all over it.

8. macjules

People Eating Tasting Comfort Animals?

I frequently enjoy "comfort animals" on board a flight, usually accompanied with a glass or two of wine and seasonal vegetables on the side. Never had peacock as an option though.

1. Eddy Ito
      Thumb Up

Re: People Eating Tasting Comfort Animals?

Ah, coq au vin. An excellent choice.

2. spold Silver badge

Re: People Eating Tasting Comfort Animals?

Here you go https://aussiehunter.org/simple-easy-dinner-recipes/game-bird-recipes/roast-peacock-recipe/

It's an Australian link so make sure you have your Peacock the right way up.

p.s. give it a good stuffing first

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Brian don't...

The bird is the word!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Never do this

Yeah, your emotional comfort rights end up right where my comfort begins.

11. Admiral Grace Hopper

Emotional Support Peacock

Their first two albums were essential, but they went downhill after the ocarina player left in '74.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Emotional Support Peacock

Yes, it was a sad time because the pan pipe replacement just didn't cut the mustard.

I was once at a gig and I saw a pan pipe player cutting the mustard. At least that's what I think he was doing, bent over the cistern.

Coat

at least he wasn't cutting the cheese

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm now worried about my emotional support donkey, if they think for one minute I'm not taking it on the flight they can kiss my ass.

2. Bob Wheeler
      Pint

emotional support donkey

But what about my emotional support warthog?

1. horse of a different color

Re: emotional support donkey

Yeah, and my inflight entertainment baboon?

1. Roland6 Silver badge

As the Captain of the B Ark, I do hope they will still let me take my bath with me...

2. Arthur the cat Silver badge

I want an emotional support tiger to deal with the annoying little brats who sit in the seat behind me and kick my seat back the entire journey.

sit in the seat behind me and kick my seat back the entire journey

Had that all the way on a flight to Dubai (from the UK). Whole family (well - women and children) in the row behind me.

Husband was up in 1st class - apparently his family didn't deserve the same luxuries as him.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"[...] sit in the seat behind me and kick my seat back the entire journey"

My first commercial flight was 12 hours - in the long-gone days when everyone had a window seat on a 747. An emergency mission for the company - so I was travelling on the first eligible day allowed with my smallpox vaccination. Kid in the seat behind kept jabbing my sore arm.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Husband was up in 1st class [...]"

Travelled back from Bristol by train on a very hot summer's Saturday in the 1990s. The express route to London was "reservations only" - so I was on a train that ambled along the scenic route of the South Coast. Felt like a 1950s time warp in old BR rolling stock with no air conditioning - occasionally stopping at picturesque towns.

It was pretty much full of folks in summer holiday gear - except for the woman covered head to toe in a black burka. She and her two children occupied three of the four seats round a table. The fourth seat was empty. Later in the journey I realised that the man sitting a few seats away was apparently her husband.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

An A-10 for emotional support? Sounds good to me.

3. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

Eee awww eee awww

eee awwwtn't have said that

13. spold Silver badge

Some things were just never meant to fly.

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
      Coat

Like my emotional support elephant

Sorry, I'll get me coat

2. Ugotta B. Kiddingme
      Joke

Re: Some things were just never meant to fly.

This gives me an idea. I should try to board a flight with my emotional support turkey. Then, when denied access, I can utter the inimitable words of Mr. Carlson. To wit, "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly..."

* for my British cousins who might not know, "WKRP In Cincinatti" was a late 1970s sitcom about the amusing and bizarre life of a radio station and its staff. For context, here is the full episode

3. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Some things were just never meant to fly

Peacocks can (not well though - about as well as yer average chicken) - I have a photo (taken on a loooong exposure) of them nesting on top of a 30-metre ruined wall. Top get there, they have to do a series of short flights upwards to get from the base of the walls (via lower bits of ruin) to get to the top.

14. Packet

I'm amazed at the audacity and sheer stupidity of some people.

It's a wild fucking animal - and a reasonably big one too.

Putting aside the obvious animal cruelty aspects - if that thing decided to attack other people in mid-air in a confined metal tube, it has the potential to do some serious harm.

Idiots... we're surrounded by idiots...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Idiots... we're surrounded by idiots...

I am also dissatisfied with the general standard of the Emotional Support Commentards around here [1] :-)

[1] But not you, dear Reader - just all the other ESCs.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"[...] it has the potential to do some serious harm."

You missed out their piercing screams.

15. Jonathan 27

I feel like this whole "emotional support animal" thing is a scam that people are using to fly their pets around for cheaper than if they did it properly.

1. Korev Silver badge

Sadly the fallout from this will hurt the people who actually need animals for support. Last time I was back in the UK I noticed a few places had signs on the disabled loos saying that not all disabilities are visible; the fact they're needed suggests that some disabled people have been on the receiving end of some horrible abuse.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

A sadly

missed, very funny but dark show.

Megaphone

"Sadly the fallout from this will hurt the people who actually need animals for support"

sorry, my compassion has been seared away by too many SJW types making B.S. claims (like emotional support peacocks). I say "put the animal in a kennel/crate as checked baggage" and be done with it. Or leave your animal at home. Or in a kennel/zoo/whatever or a friend that you've taken advantage of. whatever. NOT on the damn plane, please! NO exceptions.

/me points out that _CELEBRATING_ the lowest rung of society is bass-ackwards. We should be celebrating SUCCESS, not denegrating it. And we should be BERATING those at the bottom end who insist on inconveniencing the rest of us because "they have issues". JOKE 'em if they can't take a @#$%!!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Seems to me that the

liberals have taken over the asylum. Or forum.

Come have a beer with me.

16. Streaker
    Coat

Bird Brain

Not sure which was which.

Perhaps she was trying to wing it.... ok, I'll get my coat

S

1. Korev Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Bird Brain

Probably the pea(cock) brained one

17. Daedalus

'Owls of dismay

Good job Harry Potter can do his own flying then.

18. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Special Snowlfakes at it again, wanting a "safe space" for themselves, and using their pets to do so?

Pfft, airlines should put their foot down and ban "emotional support animals" altogether. Too high a risk in a confined area moving at speed and at high altitude.

1. Charles 9

Problem is, yhere's an actual federal law in the books concerning them, due to people going into true panics without their comfort pets. Serves as an out for airlines otherwise faced with a dilemma.

Thing is, it doesn't apply here because the law let's airlines set a few basic criteria which in this case weren't met.

1. Eddy Ito

The ADA only applies to service animals not emotional support animals. See Q3 of the FAQ. Simply asking if it is a service animal required because of a disability and then asking what work/task it has been trained to perform will weed out a good number of cheaters as somehow I don't think sitting on your shoulder like an oversize pirate's parrot counts as work. Having said that, there is no need to bring or show certifications for the service animal so businesses have to take your word on it.

1. Charles 9

Not the ADA in this case. The Air Carrier Access Act (1986) requires airlines to accommodate for emotional support animals (NOT covered under the ADA because they don't provide physical services). Thing is, you need a letter from a therapist stating the need for the animals AND you need to let the airline know ahead of time.

Devil

"if it is a service animal required because of a disability"

exactly. I doubt ANY reasonable person objects to trained service animals for people with _REAL_ disabilities.

Facepalm

"due to people going into true panics without their comfort pets"

To such people I say:

a) your psychological issues are not MY fault, nor MY business. If you can't sit in your seat for xx hours without going into a panic, charter your own damn plane or STAY OFF of the ones I fly on.

b) My compassion was seared and burned away LONG ago by all of the bleeding heart and SJW types. I just dno't give a CRAP any more. You want to fly, LEARN NOT TO PANIC.

c) Celebrating and coddling the lowest rungs of society ONLY ENCOURAGES THEM to be EVEN WORSE, instead of DEMANDING that they IMPROVE.

yeah it's frustrating to be 'a regular person'.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"yeah it's frustrating to be 'a regular person'."

Trouble is, failing to accommodate snowflakes can have tragic consequences. They can break down, fly into rages, and go into rampages, taking innocent people with you (including YOU). Remember, most rampagers have or had "issues".

So forget your compassion. Consider your self-preservation instinct.

2. MCMLXV
          Happy

'regular person'

Bob, I don't think anyone here would accuse you of being 'a regular person'.

19. hplasm
    Devil

Oh sorry!

I've inadvertently used Your Emotional Support Animal as my Lumbar Support Animal...

Now, don't get emotional...

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Oh sorry!

At least you didn't use it as your lunch support animal...

20. Rainer

You don't need to fly

There are very few countries that really require you to fly in.

In Europe, the only one that comes into mind is Isreal.

The rest can probably be reached by car or boat. Just takes time.

1. Mr Dogshit

Re: You don't need to fly

Since when is Israel in Europe?

1. Pen-y-gors

They're in Eurovision, that's close enough

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge

They're in Eurovision, that's close enough

Pretty much all of north Africa is. And the associate members include Australia and New Zealand.

2. ButlerInstitute

All you need to be in EBU/Eurovision is to be a public service broadcaster, from the European Broadcasting Area (defined by ITU) or be a member of the Council of Europe.

Associate membership is available worldwide.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A simple comfort animal that is both effective and considerate to others has been around for hundreds of years. It's called a teddy bear.

Unfortunately, because teddy bears are ubiquitous, they don't shriek "Look at me! Look at me!" in the way that an increasing number of Internet-fueled, narcissistic self-promoters crave.

1. Pen-y-gors

Marketing opportunity?

Given the wonderful toy technology now available, I'm sure we could develop a cute teddy-bear that does indeed shriek "Look at me, look at me" whenever squeezed, and probably with Bluetooth as well.

1. RAMChYLD

Re: Marketing opportunity?

Couldn't you just get one of those from Build A Bear Workshop or something? I'm pretty sure you can choose what sound you want to put into one while buying a bear from there.

Devil

Re: Marketing opportunity?

now you made me think of the tail end of Muse's "Uprising" video...

2. Arthur the cat Silver badge

A simple comfort animal that is both effective and considerate to others has been around for hundreds of years. It's called a teddy bear.

Teddy bears are just over a century old.

1. Eddy Ito

Charlie Brown's Linus had a security blanket. I'm sure the airline would be willing to supply one if you asked nicely. Ok, maybe they'll charge you a few bucks.

3. Suricou Raven

narcissistic self-promoters have been around since long before the internet. It just gives them a bigger audience.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Teddy bears:

People aren't allergic to them either.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: People

Trouble is, most of the time, the anxiety comes from a lack of feedback. Only a live animal can react to an owner's ministrations, thus why some people can't cope with security blankets and teddy bears.

22. Haku

That settles it, I'm getting an emotional support elephant.

So wherever I go, nobody can address the elephant in the room without hurting my feelings...

23. MOV r0,r0
    Flame

Be careful with the phrase 'emotional support bird' - I just got a right telling off!

24. hatti

cooked

I suppose United Airlines cooked her goose.

I will get my comfort coat

25. Spasticus Autisticus
    Mushroom

My stock comment now

Why do stories like this have me hear Duelling Banjos in my head?

1. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

Re: My stock comment now

You've witnessed someone with a bit of pluck?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: My stock comment now

"You've witnessed someone with a bit of pluck?"

Useful for removing the feathers.

26. macaroo
    Happy

Dam airline cigar tubes are turning into an animal menageirie.

Devil

"Dam airline cigar tubes are turning into an animal menageirie."

well, a certain segment of globalists want 1st world countries to be reduced to the same level of mediocrity as 3rd world countries, so let's just put a few chicken crates and free-running pigs in the people compartment on every flight...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"[...] and free-running pigs in the people compartment on every flight..."

The TSA do that already.

27. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Vincent Ballard

Re: What about my emotional support chainsaw?

Back in 2005 I spent a few months in South America, and after thinking hard about gifts to take back for my brothers I opted for a machete each. I got back to Blighty on the day of the Tube bombing. A couple of weeks later, while the country was still on high alert, we had a family gathering, and I arranged to meet one of my brothers on an afternoon train from Victoria and travel down together. We were chatting on the train, and he told me that that very morning he had been randomly searched by the police while going into a Tube station, and had received a telling off for carrying a small penknife. But apparently they only operated searches until midday, so I had carried two 18-inch machetes in my rucksack across London without passing through any (visible) checkpoint.

28. Bucky 2
    Mushroom

From her mouth to God's ear

I understand the point she was trying to make.

To be clear, we're not talking about a "service animal." We're talking about a pet. An "emotional support" animal is one where the owner has not even bothered to buy a counterfeit "service animal" vest from E-Bay.

These are the terrified dogs in the supermarket with their tails between their legs. These are the Shih-Tzus in purses in restaurants. They're frigging everywhere. And they don't want to be. Their owners are torturing them in the name of "emotional support."

It's disgusting, and the people doing it shouldn't be allowed to own animals.

1. Mark 85

Re: From her mouth to God's ear

Maybe the name is wrongly applied? I'm an "emotional support human" for our Yorkie.

1. David Roberts

Came along to post the same about our cat.

Emotional suport animal describes my role perfectly.

So could I fly with her as long as I am properly documented by her therapist?

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

How do you get a hi-vis vest on a peackock? Particularly without getting your eyes pecked out?

Asking for a friend...

1. Aladdin Sane

Re: hi-vis vest on a peackock

Very carefully.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"It's disgusting, and the people doing it shouldn't be allowed to own animals."

Well, which would you rather have? A terrified pet or an emotionally unstable human that flies off the handle?

29. Anonymous Coward
    Go

This bodes ill...

For my upcoming attempt to fly from San Francisco to JFK with my self-esteem tiger along for the ride.

(I guess I'll have to sue the airlines for diminishing my self-image.)

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about a emotional support hooker ? I'm trying to convince the wife.

31. Suricou Raven

Peacocks explained.

https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmcFVJjeLyxQfFBuos3ZZeBs5d6jfquDB7rRyZ52uWxRUD/7/06/peacock.jpg

Yep, that's pretty much all there is to them. They don't do emotional bonding. You might get loyalty from one if you get it to recognise you as a food source.

32. Jove Bronze badge

ElReg Editor

Was n't there a rumour that a former Editor of the Register had a Comfort Vulture?

33. Milton

My preferred emotional support animal

(I know I cannot be the first to say this)

My preferred emotional support animal, when getting on a plane, is a really experienced, well trained, well paid, securely employed and happy, sober pilot.

Having Percy the Piglet Pal in the carry-on just doesn't inspire the same level of confidence.

34. ssharwood

Rather cruel to the peacock IMHO. Bad enough for a human to fly United.

35. x 7

Peacocks taste nice roasted

36. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wonder

if they'd let me on with my "emotional support anthrax spores".

37. MudFever

Animal for emotional support? Don't they mean *this* animal ... http://muppets.disney.com/animal ?

38. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Eeenie Meenie Minnie Moe...

"...customers are allowed to bring emotional-support animals onboard, but must 'provide documentation from a medical professional and at least 48 hours advance notice'."

Shall I bring my Emotional-Support Rhinoceros or my Emotional-Support Hippopotamus ?

1. Charles 9

Re: Eeenie Meenie Minnie Moe...

Do you have a proper letter from your licensed therapist specifying the need specifically for those animals?

39. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

Odd.

If anything should be allowed to fly at all, one would have though it would be a bird.

40. Winkypop Silver badge
    Linux

Gavin the Cassowary

Will be very disappointed!

Cassowary

41. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As a bird

It should have plenty of frequent flyer points.

42. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon