back to article Azure Event Grid goes live, gives world cloudy publish-subscribe model

Microsoft's Azure Event Grid, a service launched as preview last August, has attracted enough fans for Redmond to push it into general availability. The model for Event Grid will look familiar to old-timers: it's a publish-subscribe model for the cloud. The Event Grid service is the chunk that sits between event publishers ( …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looks more like BizTalk Server brought kicking and screaming into this century. Interesting, even if I'm not doing anything Microsoft ever again.

2. Tom Samplonius

CORBA was just an RPC mechanism with an object oriented veneer. CORBA was created when object oriented was a must have buzzword. CORBA had nothing specifically to do with publish-subscribe. I've worked on a CORBA project a few years ago, and I don't think CORBA could do true public-subscribe. Long polling, yes.

3. monty75

"Think of it as CORBA brought screaming into the 21st century and you'll begin to understand"

That kind of depends on me having understood it the first time round

4. Glad Im Done with IT

This sounds more like Tibco Rendevous, MQTT et al. Have had lots of experience with this style of pub sub in the past, and the many problems that can occur, I would give anything from MS a miss on this, their last attempt into this area was MSMQ a performant dog!

As to the points everyone forgets about with this stuff.

How does the central broker handle lost clients subbed to guaranteed delivery, I have seen many servers fill disks with queued message from a network outage somewhere else in the world. As throughput gets higher whats the effect of pings times on any nagling used at network layer. Can you or someone else manage to introduce loops in the dist system of remote gateway brokers used.

The list goes on and on and on. Is MS capable of delivering something as stable as the venerable Tibco? I seriously doubt it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Thanks. I couldn't recall Tibco to save my life earlier. And it's venerable for a reason, it works. Which Microsoft has never done here.

5. Deltics
    Boffin

Understanding ?

"Think of it as CORBA brought screaming into the 21st century and you'll begin to understand"

What you'll understand will be completely wrong, but you can say you understand and - as a bonus - be able to "demonstrate" that understanding with the use of a legacy buzzword that today's script-kiddies won't have a clue about so can rest assured that they in turn won't understand that you don't understand.

CORBA - An architecture for distributed objects collaborating across different platforms.

Event Grid - A cloud publish/subscribe event bus for a range of Azure fabric notifications as well as custom events.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like