back to article Biggest Washington DC lobbyist is now a tech giant (yes, it's Google)

For the first time, an internet company has become the largest lobbyist in Washington DC. With the release of fourth quarter lobbying figures – a legal requirement – it has been revealed that Google (well, Alphabet) spent no less than $18m in 2017 to lobby lawmakers in the US capital: a 17 per cent increase on the previous …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder how much of that was lobbying for the recent tax bill?

All the corporations mentioned had ginormous piles of cash held overseas. Now they can bring it home at a lower rate, not pay US taxes on foreign earnings in the future, AND as a bonus pay lower taxes in the US.

I wouldn't be surprised if 2017 marks a high water mark for corporate lobbying.

1. Mark 85

Re: I wonder how much of that was lobbying for the recent tax bill?

Well... yes. You expected something different with the "money party" being in control?

Disclaimer: No matter which party is in power, someone gets screwed. How much and how often is open to debate.

2. GrumpyKiwi

What??!? As increased regulations make it more important to game the system, companies spend more to game the system?!??! This must be the most surprising development since the sun came up in the east this morning. I for one am shocked, shocked I tells you that corruption would go hand in hand with power.

3. FlamingDeath Silver badge

Lobbying is the proof

That democracy is an illusion

May I *ahem*... coin a new term, denominocracy

1. Wade Burchette

Re: Lobbying is the proof

It has been said we have the best government money can buy. Hillary Clinton spent $1,200,000,000 on the last election and the Donald half that. Where did that money come from? Whoever gave it to them, I can promise you it wasn't because they liked them because I have a hard time finding two more unlikable people than Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton. It was for political favors. Get ready for "Google presents 'The State of the Union' with President Trump". "This Democratic party response to President Trump is brought to you by AT&T". "My fellow Americans. After the recent California earthquake it is important that we rebuild our country together. And while you are rebuilding, don't forget your Gatorade, it is a thirst quencher."

4. lglethal Silver badge
    Stop

Please stop...

Please stop calling the USA a Democracy. It hasnt been one of those for an exceptionally long time. Please now use the officially correct term of a corpocracy. A land for the corporations, owned by the corporations.

5. Daggerchild Silver badge

Heat vs light

Fine, but, while fixated on the lion, please don't neglect all the snakes.

No matter what people think, Google are a bit crap at this game. Even during the pally Obama term Google Fiber was legislatively crushed by the cablecomms, who now have net neutrality dead, and thus can get protection money for Google's traffic, in the same way Microsoft do from Android.

As was stated, the chart only works if you count *direct* funding. You may want to inspect the stables of the well established players, the depth of their roots, and their bang per buck, too.

6. Baldrickk
    Joke

Reads the title.

Google are only just now considered a tech giant?

1. Chemical Bob

Re: Reads the title.

More like tech lardass

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales later joined in, also slamming Facebook for its role in pushing fake news. Although quite why Wales was at a conference virtually dedicated to the world's elite businessmen and politicians is another matter.

I'm much more interested in knowing where Jimmy Wales gets the stones to upbraid anyone for publishing falsehoods. For fscks sake, how many times have lazy journalists copied and pasted factually inaccurate information from Wikipedia into their articles, and in so doing have promulgated incorrect info to their readers?

I'm not suggesting that Wales should be held personally responsible for this, but the hypocrisy is staggering.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like