back to article Facebook open-sources object detection work: Watch out, Google CAPTCHA

Facebook has brought us one step closer to a Skynet future made a commitment to computer vision boffinry by open-sourcing its codebase for object detection, Detectron. Written in Python and powered by the Caffe2 deep learning framework, the codebase – which implements object-sniffing algos such as Mask R-CNN and RetinaNet – is …

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Stop

Google / Amazon search results

are the proving ground for "AI". Until they can return what I asked for (which is not "mix up the words I used to ask the question, and return whatever shit stands out") then they are useless and (more worryingly) incredibly prone to pwning.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Terminator

Re: Google / Amazon search results

JimmyPage,

Ah, but how do you know that Google's AI hasn't determined exactly what you want - and just chooses not to give it to you? If there can be artificial intelligence, I'm sure that artificial sense of mischief and artificial bloody-mindedness won't be long in following.

1. Tigra 07
        Terminator

"I'm Sorry Dave Jimmy but i can't let you do that."

2. Kevin Johnston

Careful there....once artificial bloody-mindedness happens who will need engineers?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Google / Amazon search results are not AI they are just lazy algorithms, try buying s phone case and it'll email you and recommend the phone. Hate to break it them but if I'm buying a case it's pretty much 99% true that I already have the phone.

1. Tigra 07

Re: AC

I owned 2 cases for my new phone before i got it. I planned ahead.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I bet you knew where you were going to get it from though and at what price.

1. Tigra 07
            Thumb Down

Yep. Went to an O2 shop for a Nano Sim 2 years back and the pushy staffer kept trying to sell me a tablet. I already own a Nexus 9 and told her this, only to be met with "Nexus 9? Let's see what price." Here, we have those at [[Insert price here]]."

I then had to tell her twice that i wasn't in the market to buy a tablet i already own at a higher price than i'd already paid for it direct from Google. Pushy salespeople are one thing but spare me from the thick ones.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

are there any other type?

2. Johndoe132

Yes, and it drives me mad when they keep pushing things which you already bought that are fairly obviously one-time purchases. Like Amazon popping up suggestions for various models of hot water expansion vessels because I bought a replacement for my home system a year or so ago. Get the message - I'm not a plumber and am very unlikely to be buying again you stupid algo!

/rant

3. 's water music
        Joke

Hate to break it them but if I'm buying a case it's pretty much 99% true that I already have the phone.

Yebbut the marginal cost to me, as an advertiser, of your time spent dismissing the ad is zero and the 1% conversion rate makes it pay

3. BoldMan

As that noted guru of all knowledge St Mick of Jagger said, You can't always get what you want, but you can get what you need...

2. fidodogbreath

Blurry spatulas?

A gorilla mask will make you invisible to Google.

3. Chris G

2 pints of creme de menthe

That should fool them, after drinking that much creme de menthe my image is always blurry in the mirror so they will never reconise me.

As an alternative for the RoTM I am building a room with a large copper coil around it attached to a dustbin sized capacitor not quite the Matrix but it should EMP the hell out of them when they come to get me.

4. cosymart
    FAIL

Crap AI

I buy say a lawnmower and for the next 6 months all the ads are trying to sell me a lawn mower, that's not AI it's bloody stupidity!

1. Andy Non Silver badge

Re: Crap AI

Similar issue on Amazon with their "Buy it again" suggestions. Just because I've bought something doesn't mean I want to buy the same thing again straight away, hopefully not for a few years anyway.

1. onefang

"Just because I've bought something doesn't mean I want to buy the same thing again straight away, hopefully not for a few years anyway."

Ah, but built in obsolescence is accelerating. Soon the thing you ordered will be broken by the time it gets delivered to you, so best to order a new one straight away.

2. Tigra 07
        Facepalm

Amazon only reccommends bathtubs, hosepipes and toasters for me since xmas...Either they think i'm suicidal or their algorithm is fucked

5. onefang

This must be the new Facebook object detection code that managed to successfully recognise my right foot in a photo I uploaded.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like