back to article PC sales get that post-Brexit vote sinking feeling

PC makers - ones that use middlemen to reach customers - are selling fewer boxes in the UK but generating more cash from them because of post-Brexit vote price rises and demand shifting to higher-end gear. Shipments into distributors in Britain fell 12 per cent year on year in Q4 to a little more than one million units: …

1. AMBxx Silver badge
    FAIL

Weaker Euro against US Dollar?

They sure? - only 2 currencies were weaker than the US Dollar in 2017 and they weren't Sterling or Euro.

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
      Stop

re: Does it matter ?

Since when has the ability to raise prices needed a genuine excuse ?

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

And what is the $/£ exchange rate now?

Around $1.39/£1.00 which is not that far removed from what it was pre June 2016.

Where are the reductions in price of IT kit?

{cue tumbleweeds blowing up the M1}

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Teiwaz
    Coat

an aside

Notebook shipments into the channel fell 13.6 per cent to 825k

The channel reference makes me think 'obviously, what fish are left can hardly been great consumers of tech goods, unless it's the Sea Devils again'

I know what it's actually supposed to mean, it's like a conversation on ham and chips I once had with a Spaniard, I found my mind constantly derailed by images of strawberry preserves over fried potato.

1. Alister

Re: an aside

Yep, me too, I read "shipments into the channel" and had an immediate mental image of a string of container ships...

Oh, and LOL at jamón, as well.

4. Updraft102

That post-Brexit vote sinking feeling?

Given the outcome, I think it's safe to say that a good part of your readership didn't experience such a thing.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Liars

Profits rose because prices were jacked up well more than any rise in manufacturing costs. Blaming it on politics is just marketing bullshit, otherwise known as a lie, plain and simple.

1. Teiwaz

Re: Liars

Politicians were either making up numbers or sexing up any given number exponentially in order to convince the public to buy into their view.

Quite sensibly commercial entities looked at the result and thought the public would buy anything at any price....

6. andy 103
    Stop

A bit like in 2008 when there was a recession, so loads of employers said "ooh there's a recession, we can't give you a pay rise".

Convenient excuse more like.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. ColonelClaw

Slightly off-topic, but sort-of related:

The RAM for a machine I built last September, and just built again this January cost £200 more for the exact same specification and quantity (went from £500 -> £700). Strangely, though, RAM never seems to be out of stock with any of our suppliers.

Are RAM prices a complete scam? A year ago the same RAM would have been just over £300. Something aint right.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Are RAM prices a complete scam

Yes, all the Japanese, American, Korean Chinese and Taiwanese fabs get together at a secret meeting at Davos and agree to rig prices. It's a rare example of perfect international cooperation.

https://pcpartpicker.com/trends/price/memory/

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sloppy Analysis

Tough to draw the conclusion that is all due to the Brexit, because that is not the only factor in play.

The prices also went up for the rest of the EU as a whole (8.7% compared to 12%).

How about the EU numbers per country?

Since the EU number given is an average, I'm sure we'll see higher and lower numbers there - probably comparable to that given for the UK.

10. unwarranted triumphalism

It's OK, I'm sure the Remainers have an explanation for why they;re destroying the economy.

11. DCFusor

Crazy as yanks

With blaming political causes for every damn thing, as if either side of any question had the answer, and all questions have 2 and only 2 sides and your political divide is a perfect mapping onto the two.

Vain about human nature and politics, much? When was that ever actually true?

We need to turn off this horrible shoe-shop ray and get to solving our problems instead of whining that if only the "other" team had "won" we wouldn't have them. When in all of history has that worked, anyway?

You are as fully divided and conquered as any yank.

WTF went wrong with this planet? Go Elon, I'd like a ride off this stilly rock.

12. Jove Bronze badge

Rising costs in memory have probably been a more significant factor

13. streaky

It's a shame that..

so much of this stuff is made in the UK. Obviously people not buying PC gear made here will ruin us.

Oh wait.

14. Imiksimi

Brexit

PC sales are down.... Maybe that's because average consumer haven't really needed to buy new machines in years , you don't need an i3 for word let alone an i7.

Gamers are well aware this is a stupid time to be buying parts. Mining ect.

Plus everything is going smart you can check your emails on your TV these days. Unless you have some actual work Todo you don't really need a PC anymore

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Intel should be spinning Spectre fear to it's advantage

"Your CPU is sh*t! Buy our new, improved, secure CPU sh*t!"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like