back to article Ofcom cracks on with spectrum auction rules, despite Three's legal challenge

UK comms regulator Ofcom is cracking ahead with plans for the forthcoming spectrum auction – despite further delays posed by Three's Court of Appeal challenge. The regulator had planned to hold the auction for the 2.3 and 3.4 GHz bands in autumn 2017, but it has been delayed by litigation brought by Three UK and BT/EE – the …

1. A K Stiles

"Whatever you want"

So if it's Status Quo after the ruling in February, does that mean that BT/EE will have to relinquish some of their current spectrum anyway, or at least just not buy as big a chunk of the new stuff to bring their 42% down to the 37% cap?

1. Dave Pickles

Re: "Whatever you want"

What You're Proposing is that BT should Roll Over Lay Down and let it's allocation go Down Down and melt away like Ice In The Sun, rather than try to Break The Rules. That may just be Dreamin'.

2. John Robson Silver badge

Consumers can benefit...

Really?

When we have universal 2G coverage, and close to universal 4G coverage then we can consider moving to 5G.

Pretty much the only people who will benefit at this stage are the government coffers...

Yes, a few people in select locations in cities will be able to download their latest film desires in a few seconds less, but why aren't you doing that on WiFi anyway???

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

1st... nope.,.. 2nd... almost ... 3rd world .. yes!

Countries like Vietnam and Nigeria are rolling out faster mobile networks than the UK because we love to talk and argue so much about this nonsense.

The government, Ofcom and BT are like the witches of Macbeth in this. Between the 3 of them they are keeping the UK in the tech dark ages.

@John Robson .... my mobile data speed in Vietnam was 75m/bits, my home fiber was 24.... using Wifi is from the 90s and your reasoning shows they have managed to convince you it is acceptable!

Torrent a movie while you are the bar... watch when you get home.

1. Cpt Blue Bear

Re: 1st... nope.,.. 2nd... almost ... 3rd world .. yes!

"Countries like Vietnam and Nigeria are rolling out faster mobile networks than the UK because we love to talk and argue so much about this nonsense."

No.

Countries like Vietnam and Nigeria are rolling out faster networks because they don't already have incumbents with massive investments in existing infrastructure.

2. John Robson Silver badge

Re: 1st... nope.,.. 2nd... almost ... 3rd world .. yes!

> my mobile data speed in Vietnam was 75m/bits, my home fiber was 24.... using Wifi is from the 90s and your reasoning shows they have managed to convince you it is acceptable!

Oh, yes - that's where I'm going wrong - I'm still in the 90's ...

There are good physics reasons that fixed line services should be higher capacity and speed than mobile services.

My home connection is about 75MB/s, I have no idea what my mobile data speed is, because I don't use it for large volume downloads - but it's quite fast enough for mapping and browsing.

If I want to watch a film then I will either stream it when I get home, or if you insist on torrenting it (which really does seem daft on a mobile device) then I'll trigger my home device to do that...

I don't want a movie on my phone/tablet in general. If I do then it's more than likely a planned trip, so I'll have preloaded it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like