back to article Facebook, Twitter supremos ditch Disney as biz steps on their turf

The Walt Disney Company's increasing interest in moving its shows online has forced two Silicon Valley supremos to leave the board. Twitter chief exec Jack Dorsey and Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg are not seeking re-election to the company's board of directors due to a growing conflict of interest, Reuters reports. As …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Lines are being drawn

Industry titans are squaring up for battle. Who will win the media this time ?

As usual, not the consumer.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Lines are being drawn

Yes, it's fragmenting more and more to the extent that you need multiple subscriptions to multiple suppliers just to get what you previously got, usually at a higher overall cost.

Mind you, having seen some US and Canadian network TV over streaming services, not only are the ad breaks frequent and long, but they even paste 1/3rd height banner ads along the bottom of the show after the ad break. It's am ever escalating arms race between the viewers and the advertisers. Modern PVRs (as opposed to VCRs) have made ad skipping easier and more convenient for all users so the advertisers respond by placing ads on screen during the show, sometime to the extent that it hides the action. It's no wonder people are switching to streaming services or downloading from various less than legal sources.

3. alain williams Silver badge

Should be broken up

It should not have been allowed to eat Fox last year. The mega corps increasingly make it hard for competitors; I have heard of cinemas being told that if they show indy films that they won't get block busters.

1. 's water music

Re: Should be broken up

I have heard of cinemas being told that if they show indy films that they won't get block busters.

Win-win for customers?

2. Mark 85
      Devil

Re: Should be broken up

It should not have been allowed to eat Fox last year.

Disney ate Fox? So two Mickey Mouse outfits in one company now?

Seriously, I didn't think they took Fox due to some conflict or legal issue.

4. Pedigree-Pete
    Facepalm

Gender pay gap anyone....

"Sandberg received a total financial compensation of $374,106 in fiscal 2017, while Dorsey pulled in £305,274." PP

1. Sandtitz Silver badge
      Holmes

Re: Gender pay gap anyone....

...or Ms. Sandberg attended more board meetings than Mr. Dorsey. Sandberg has also been on the board longer than Dorsey. The board compensation rules for new members may have also changed before Dorsey was appointed. IDK and frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

Whatever the reason I'm sure both are compensated more than enough and the whole board and CEO should be fired just for the latest Star Wars disaster movie.

5. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

if they wanted to pay me $374,106 to not use my cable tv network - id be fine with it.

In fact if theyre not gonna use it , it dosent matter if ive got it . hmm . might apply

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I would forbid to hold roles in more than one company.

These boards are full of conflicts of interests whatever side you look them at. You get a too restricted elite actually running too many companies. Competition needs boards focused only on the company.

7. Teiwaz

"Given our evolving business

Corporate 'Jabba the Hutts' like Disney don't evolve, they metastasize.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like