1. TeeCee Gold badge

Hardware fault?

A mate's got one of them Mac things (Quad core i7 - 26" Cinema). It was fine for a couple of months and then developed a repeated fault where the screen will go completely blank and stay blank until it is rebooted.

Apple had the thing for four weeks(!) and returned it with no fault found. It took all of 10 minutes for it to do it again when he started using it.

He's obviously a tad peeved, having spent a small fortune on a computer that doesn't work from a manufacturer who doesn't give a toss. Googling the problem shows umpty-something similar issues for Macbooks, but nothing for the vanilla article.

Anyone got any ideas, before some "genius" wakes up with a horse's head in his bed?

2. pctechxp

I could make a gag about PC versus Mac but i won't

What version of the Mac OS is the machine running? (Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion)?

1. TeeCee Gold badge

Lion apparently.

3. TeeCee Gold badge
    WTF?

Update.

Apparently now solved.

One of his offspring has a Harry Potter game. An update to this got pushed out the other day and the Mac hasn't gone titstup since.

While I'm all in favour of having cause and effect, I'm still scratching my head trying to work out why an iffy game that isn't running at the time can cause a machine to shit itself on a regular basis. Presumably something in there has its claws in the GPU subsystem in a way it really shouldn't.

1. Grayrunner
      Thumb Up

Re: Update.

Thus Apple repair/tech support was right? There was no problem with the PC. Shout it from the roof tops!

4. James Donovan

For me apple is best. I myself am using macbook pro and have an iphone 4s and been using it for past 2 years and didn't get any issues with it, small issues like software are resolved pretty quickly with there service.

5. badra100

It is fault of hardware. You should to contact with an expert.

6. mimilovell

always contact apple first. Although im hating apple at the moment, as their iphone quality is getting worse and wose.

7. andre 2

Re. Macs

This has been caused before by "flaky n**d*a" chip syndrome, actually the problem is the interconnects not the chip itself.

It can also happen due to a bad LCD controller, I've had this happen to two 22" Macs before and it always started with intermittent glitches and lines followed by total catastrophic failure.

A slightly more common cause is bad RAM, as most of these use off the shelf SODIMMs this is really easy to check if you have an old laptop kicking around with a suitable slot.

I have also noticed that in some cases a bad LCD can be fixed by replacing the open fuse, although the cause is still there ie bad chip it will usually work long enough for the replacement to show up.

Apple are usually fairly reasonable if you explain the problem :-)

1. DiverDan

Re: Re. Macs

Andre 2,

Them were the days, have a read of this thread, well some of it.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/25834722?ac_cid=tw123456#25834722

And checkout the petition with over 4,000 owners not feeling the Apple love.

https://www.change.org/en-AU/petitions/timothy-d-cook-replace-or-fix-all-early-2011-macbook-pro-with-graphics-failure

8. DidierAubin87

Yes, it is a fault. You should go to a store and ask some advances :)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon