back to article Dark matter on the desktop: Dark Energy Survey publishes data

If you've got a penchant for lots of data, astrophysics, and mystery, the Dark Energy Survey (DES) has announced its first public data release. The DES announced that the trove offers its first three years of data, complete with “information on about 400 million astronomical objects, including distant galaxies billions of …

1. Crisp

That DES footprint

Looks rather like a tank...

1. cray74

Re: That DES footprint

"Dark energy tank." You could milk that for a couple of military scifi short stories or some SBIR Phase I funding from the Pentagon.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Go

So soemtheings pulling all that matter, but we're still not sure what.

Interesting times.

1. DropBear
      Joke

Re: So soemtheings pulling all that matter, but we're still not sure what.

They're clearly all connected by slinkies in the fifth dimension...

3. JoeBakhos

Dark Matter and Dark Energy do not exist

I think that at a certain galactic distance, gravity reverses and the galaxies begin pushing against each other. This would do away with cosmological expansion, dark matter, and dark energy. This is a claim that can be easily tested:

A revised gravity equation looks like this (I have made an adjustment compared to my last version):

F = (1.047 X 10^-17) m1m2 [-cos(Θ)] / r^2 where tan Θ = r / (1.419 X 10^22)

By playing with the constants, this equation can be fitted and tested against the data of galactic motion. It means that at a certain distance, gravity will reverse and the galaxies will be pushing against each other. This pressure against each other does away with the need for dark matter or dark energy in cosmology.

So the equation can be tested against current data to see if it fits. This equation also predicts that galaxies near the edge of the universe will be deformed -- concave with the concavity pointing towards the center of the universe.

This equation also predicts the existence of isolated galaxies that are far away from other galaxies, that would behave normally without the need to posit dark matter. An example of this type of galaxy is NGC1052–DF2 . Talked about in this article:

https://www.nature.com/articles/nature25767

Test this equation to see if slight adjustment of the constants will account for galactic motion or not. If it does, then proceed to the rest of the theory.

If it cannot, then the theory can be dismissed. Either way, I would like to know -- but I would not be convinced with a simple "absurd!" or dismissal unless it has been tested out.

If it is true that the motion of galaxies can be modeled in this way, I would ask that you take a look at the explanation in this theory:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MyTheoryIs/comments/87pcgq/what_dark_matter_is/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon