back to article Facebook gives its 007s license to kill M, its not particularly intelligent AI

Facebook is axing M, the wobbly digital personal assistant tacked onto its Messenger chat app. A spokesperson for the social network told The Register on Monday: “Today we shared with the people who have access to our M closed beta project, first announced in August 2015, that January 19th is the last day the service will be …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Private company, private reasons

It is perfectly reasonable for Facebook to want to keep mum about what it learned and why it is shutting M down. I do think that Facebook did indeed learn quite a lot from the experience and will leverage that in some way in the future.

Probably for yet another privacy-invading functionality that will unfortunately work a lot better than if they hadn't had this trial run.

But Facebook is under no obligation to answer all the questions and go public on anything. For a company dedicated to dragging everyone's life out into the open, Facebook sure knows the importance of keeping its own secrets.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Private company, private reasons

"And as such will have an obligation to its shareholders to disclose exactly how much money was burned though and how many resources were utilised (burned out?) in this experiment."

Err no.

If companies had to be that granular, they would never function.

It would come under a general R&D budget.

2. Malcolm 1

I always wondered...

... what that random blue icon unhelpfully suggesting animated gifs was ... and now I know. Seems that particular "feature" may survive - shame.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

AI-Hype / Bot-Failure or something else...

Knowing Facebook, Zuk had some other agenda behind the scenes. A new slurp experiment based on the queries the bot was presented with, or the way the queries were phrased or typed in, or something as yet unknown. If we've learned anything from surveillance capitalism, nothing is as it seems!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like