back to article Seagate's CES splash, ClusterStor-like dash and Ripple crypto-cash

The number-two disk drive supplier is starting 2018 at a gallop with a dense, ClusterStor-like array, a raft of consumer drives at CES and upgraded estimates for its first-quarter results. Seagate's 5U84 drive enclosure and operating system provide up to 1PB of capacity in a 5U chassis (8PB/rack) with 84 x 3.5-inch bays, …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

DotHill Based Solution

Cray ClusterStor and this solution us the same base 5U84 enclosure, but the controller is SW is based on tech from DotHill, not ClusterStor.

1. Down not across

Re: DotHill Based Solution

I'm surprised they're still in business given their early arrays and firmware. I guess they must've eventually gotten their act together then.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"we might see the 5U84 appearing in a Cray ClusterStor-branded system."

Er... it already does, and always has.

This is really nothing new, and if I were a certain President I’d be calling it fake news. Seagate had to do something to add some intelligence back into the 5U84 JBOD, because all the clever IP went to Cray when Seagate transferred the ClusterStor line and all its associated IP. As a previous commenter stated, it looks like Seagate has shoehorned in some Dothill software to try and add value.

Half of Seagate’s press release this week could have been written 6 years ago when the 5U84 (called 2584 then) was first released by Xyratex.

And this product announcement isn’t aimed at HPC, its aimed at large scale cloud providers, where Seagate can ship truckloads of “self healing” 5U84’s, instead of the dozen or so you’d sell into an HPC site on a good day.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like