back to article India denies breach of its billion-strong 'Aadhaar' ID system

The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has refuted claims the country's Aadhaar identification system was hacked as “clearly a case of misreporting being incorrect and misleading”, but has also filed a police complaint against the journalist who reported a breach. Last week, Indian Tribune journalist Rachna …

1. Ole Juul

What was the name of the show again?

Yes, lets start an argument about whether breaching is hacking or not.

2. streaky

Please..

do the needful.

God I hope that is google translate at it's best and not how the complaint is actually worded - though I suspect it is.

3. Dan 55 Silver badge

Unbelievable

500 rupees gets you a portal with live database queries accessed with a dedicated user ID created just for you.

And according to the police it's the journalist's fault.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Unbelievable

500 rupees gets you a portal with live database queries accessed with a dedicated user ID created just for you.

There is a reason that Transparency International has India way down at #79 (out of 176) in their list of "corruption perceptions" (where #1 is least corrupt).

4. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

As always...

Blame the messenger...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: As always...

"Blame the messenger..."

...who probably failed to make a 'donation' to the police investigating the case.

5. umacf24
    Boffin

Refuted

I don't think the authority has refuted the Tribune's story They have denied it, splitting absurd hairs about the meaning of "hacking".

6. Anonymous Coward
  7. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Gimp

Just think. The UK could have had the "benefits" of such a system years ago.

How foolish they were to turn down the advantages of the cradle-to-grave surveillance system that was the National Identity Card Scheme and it's infamous "National Identity Register"

1. Afernie

Re: Just think. The UK could have had the "benefits" of such a system years ago.

"How foolish they were to turn down the advantages of the cradle-to-grave surveillance system that was the National Identity Card Scheme and it's infamous "National Identity Register""

Turned it down, yes. Or at least temporarily dodged the bullet until the idea is resurrected and whispered in the instinctively authoritarian ear of whichever IT illiterate twit is Home Secretary at the time.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Scam alert

Hello Mr Patel, I'm just calling from MS and I see you have a problem with your identity. Just give me your bank details and I will fix it for you.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon