back to article Game of Thrones author's space horror Nightflyers hitting telly

HBO's epic Game of Thrones cycle may be coming to a close, but fans of the books the show is based on can take heart that author George R R Martin (GRRM) is sending another of his works to the tellybox. Variety reports that Nightflyers, GRRM's 1985 short story, has been picked up by the cable channel Syfy, which, in the UK at …

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
    Trollface

Prediction for this comment thread . . .

. . . endless whingeing about GoT, little positivity or actual discussion of Nightflyers.

1. Daedalus
      Devil

Re: Prediction for this comment thread . . .

Well, I'm doing my bit....

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        IT Angle

Isn't GRRM the last active user of Wordstar?

2. Stevie

Wasn't Nightflyers already a movie?

I could swear I saw it once ...

To be honest I'd rather someone made a movie from the GRRM short about the human crew who go chasing about creation using an alien star drive called a "Jump Gun". Can't remember the title but it has a great plot with terrifying implications. I believe the story is in the Sandkings collection.

About the only Vampire story I'd get out of bed for today would be GRRM's Fevre Dream. That would be a nice costume spectacle too.

1. Queeg

@ Stevie

Yup

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093626/

1. DropBear

At first I thought this was about that _other_ "Night Flyer" horror, by Stephen King...

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken
          Coat

Whoa, this will be hard to top! I mean, the 1980ies hairstyles alone...

(Mine's the one with the copy of Halliwell's Filmgoer's and Video Viewer's Companion in the pocket.)

2. John Gamble
        Alien

Yes. In my town it came out the same week as Princess Bride. Princess Bride ran for a while, Nightflyers was one week and gone.

I wonder if the channel is adapting that story only. GRRM has a lot of stories in that setting (called Thousand Worlds -- hmm, "Sandkings" is part of it, that would make an interesting episode), and I'd like to see a wider adaption.

3. AndersBreiner

It's called The Stone City.

Audio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMmrKeFTHzY

Preston Jacobs analysis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28zpZPTOv7o

What do you mean by 'terrifying implications'?

3. macjules

At least you won’t get “WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO FINISH THE STORY?”

2. Daedalus

Meh

The only reason GOT got so much notoriety is that HBO is in a position to repeat episodes ad nauseam, just as they used to repeat Z-list movies back when that was their major output, and indeed as other "premium" channels continue to do. Looked at without context, episodes (like the books themselves) are major snoozes. On any other kind of TV outlet the series would have been one and done. The novels seem to appeal to those who confuse weight with worth. Roger Zelazny could get more in one page of narrative than GRRM puts into a chapter.

1. User McUser
      WTF?

Re: Meh

Looked at without context, episodes (like the books themselves) are major snoozes.

It's OK if you don't like the books and/or the TV show; not everyone has to like everything.

But "Looked at without context" - what does that even mean?

1. Daedalus

> "Looked at without context" - what does that even mean?

Well, there's this bunch of people going here, talking there, and occasionally seeing/doing something exciting. I suppose if you've followed the story lines you actually care what's going on, although the need to see the minutiae of riding north escapes me. It's a bit like soap opera: occasionally you come across one that is just so well done that you want to invest in it no matter where you come into the plot, but the average one relies on you knowing and caring about some of the characters, or (more typically) on presenting you with one so outrageous you can't look away.

Kudos to HBO and Liam Cunningham for putting a Geordie character in (assuming anyone at HBO even knows what a Geordie is). Even if Mr. C is Irish.

1. User McUser

Well, there's this bunch of people going here, talking there, and occasionally seeing/doing something exciting. I suppose if you've followed the story lines you actually care what's going on, although the need to see the minutiae of riding north escapes me.

I'm sorry but that's just silly - you can't start reading a book at the 6th chapter and then stop at the 7th chapter and then not like the book because you didn't know who any of the characters were and didn't understand what they were talking about. The same goes for a TV serial drama.

You can say it's boring or not a genre you typically like or that the characters are uninspired or you can just not like it for non-specific reasons but this "without context" critique is just the weirdest thing I've ever heard.

2. Not also known as SC

The novels seem to appeal to those who confuse weight with worth.

Have to partially disagree. The original three books were excellent. I saw the first episode of GoT on TV, enjoyed it, bought the book and found it far more satisfying the TV adaptation which, IMO, made unforgivable changes to some of the characters. Over the coming weeks I caught up with the series and felt the quality had dropped significantly by the fourth book followed by the release of the fifth book. GRRM had split the story into two parallel time lines in the fourth and fifth books based on geographical location and although I didn't personally have to wait six years to find out what was happening to my favourite characters other readers had to wait almost eleven years. It's now been another seven since the last instalment which ended on a cliff hanger.

So yes, the later books are appalling snooze fests but to give GRRM his due the first three were excellent and I think GoT was commissioned based upon these three. Because Nightfliers was written when GRRM was at his peak it stands every chance of being a good story and most definitely worth giving the first episode (at least) a viewing.

1. Blank Reg

@Not also known as SC

I read the books before the show and agree the first books were better.

I think part of the problem was that GRRM painted himself into a corner. He had so many characters and plotlines going that after the first few books he figured the only way out was to kill off a character every other chapter. Otherwise, it would have ballooned out to an even bigger mess that it is.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I enjoyed the shows and the books. But thanks for the Roger Zelazny mention - I'll check him out for my reading list.

1. Jeremy Allison

Roger Zelazny's "Lord of Light" is my favourite Science Fiction/Fantasy novel. Don't read the blurb on the back (that will ruin it :-), just dive in and enjoy !

1. Daedalus

"Lord of Light" has been optioned for films and TV several times, but I don't see anything happening in these PC times. Look what happened to "Gods of Egypt". "Nine Princes in Amber" is supposed to be on the brink of production, mainly due to the success of GoT and the "need" for a new major fantasy series. I'll believe it when I see it.

2. johndrake7

Followed closely by Creatures of Light and Darkness. How much more intense is it even possible to be than Typhon and the Skagganauk Abyss? Damn fine stuff.

4. Tom 7

Amongst my peer group only one friend admits to having seen GOT. Amongst my children's friends none have seen it.

There are advantages to not living in a city I guess.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I like GoT for all the smug twats it pulls out of the woodwork who can't wait to proudly tell you that they don't watch rubbish like that! Oh dear no!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

they don't watch rubbish like that!

I used to ask myself "What kind of moron watches this shite?" Until I realized I was watching it. My New Years resolution is to try and cut down on the self-awareness.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Tom 7

Lack of electricity will put a dampener on the number of viewers to be fair.

5. johndrake7

Technically the mix of upvotes and downvotes here is confusing but accurate. GRR himself would likely acknowledge more briliance and talent in 1965/66 Dilvish through 1978 Amber (Corwin series) works of Zelazny than the rest of the top 5, hell, top 10 in the genres he covered put together, not excluding GRR himself in his prime. Sadly, post-Amber/Corwin, his output paled in comparison, not just to himself but to any number of others.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've been on the Midnight Meat Train many a time after a few pints.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

fans of the books the show is based on can take heart that author George R R Martin (GRRM) is sending another of his works to the tellybox.

It would be more heartwarming if he'd just finish the GoT books, which are now lagging well behind the TV shows.

1. 2Nick3

"It would be more heartwarming if he'd just finish the GoT books, which are now lagging well behind the TV shows."

At this point I'm hoping he has some kind of contingency plan in place, a la Robert Jordan with The Wheel of Time, should the common fate of his GoT characters befall him before he finishes the books.

5. jockbroon

What do you mean, "Buffy and other trash"? Implying that Buffy isn't one of the best shows to ever grace our screens.

6. Not also known as SC

The Orville

Quite a statement – it has to be better than Seth MacFarlane's The Orville and Black Mirror's dorky Star-Trek-in-a-computer homage, right?

Never seen Black Mirror but The Orville is just dreadful. I've given up on it after just three episodes (in the UK). Can someone in the USA who has seen more episodes tell me if I should make the effort to watch more or have I made the right decision?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The Orville

I liked it, it's a bit of a misnomer. You're expecting Seth laughs which you do get but then it has a serious Star Trek type side.

1. Not also known as SC
        Pint

@AC

I'll give it another few episodes then. I can see the sci-fi side (which works well) but the 'comedy' aspect - divorced couple arguing loudly while the crew listens, or some reality TV programme to represent 'human' culture in an alien zoo - just falls flat for me. Maybe I'm expecting more traditional Seth?

1. Daedalus

"The Orville" would have been better with her as the skipper and him as the unreliable subordinate. Adrienne Palicki kicks butt, as they say here. She's wasted as Seth's sidekick.

1. Phil W

"She's wasted as Seth's sidekick"

Having watched all the episodes so far I'm not seeing her as a sidekick anymore, just because he's the captain doesn't mean he's the key to the show. It's even been clearly introduced that he wouldn't be captain if it wasn't for her.

I'm genuinely surprised by how good the plot and character development is, it's not a patch on Discovery of course but it's not trying to be the same kind of show.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Heh, the officers may be "in command", but the NCOs run the unit.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

, it's not a patch on Discovery of course

It's been decreed that we'll refer to that show as "ST: STD"

1. Phil W

I believe it's officially Discotrek. Let's go Discotrek.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Adrienne Palicki kicks butt, as they say here.

Yep. Watch the Wonder Woman pilot (2011).

Also, wondering if the costume designer for The Orville has ever worked with women before.

2. HereIAmJH

The problem with The Orville is they can't decide what direction they want to go. Sci-Fi takes a little immersion in the story, and just as they get a good story going they drop into campy sitcom. Like a practical joke of cutting off someone's leg. I suspect that is how it was pitched, to grab the sci-fi audience along with Seth's following. But it seems to fail both genres. Pick a direction and dial the other one back a little. If it wasn't available through streaming I'd have already given up on it.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

It depends on who's directing, if it's Jonathan Frakes or Brannon Braga you get something which might not be too dissimilar to a TNG episode, otherwise you could end up with something more like a sitcom.

But the jokes seem to have been toned down as the series progressed. Stick with it.

7. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

Sounds interesting

although if only available through Netflix I might not be able to see it. Will definitely give it a view if I can.

As for SyFy, not everything on there is "assorted trash." 'The Expanse' is incredible, as was their first big space epic 'Farscape.' It's the other 99% of content that give SyFy a bad name...

1. Excellentsword

Re: Sounds interesting

Writer here (badge doesn't work). The Expanse is amazing, granted, but I watched it on Netflix. Farscape was good too, but I watched it on BBC 2 as a young'un. I associate Syfy with Xena: Warrior Princess-tier stuff, but know that I write these things with tongue planted firmly in cheek.

1. VinceH

One recent gem from SyFy was Dark Matter - which I've only just watched - but the feckers have cancelled it.

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: Dark Matter cancelled

Cancelling something is how they advertise the good stuff to non-mainstream audiences. I only found out about Wonderfalls (Pushing Daisies with fewer zombies and more weird) because I searched for things that got cancelled early.

1. VinceH
            Pint

Yes - on a usenet group I inhabit*, we made that observation a long time ago - and whenever something good appeared, we'd therefore anticipate early cancellation.

There are, of course, exceptions that somehow last the distance, but science fiction TV history is littered with good stuff (or stuff that showed a lot of potential) that didn't last.

I hereby raise a glass to some of that stuff.

* I nearly said "used to inhabit" - but I am still subscribed. It's just there are almost never any posts these days.

1. 's water music
              Windows

Re: early cancellation - selection bias

Yes - on a usenet group I inhabit*, we made that observation a long time ago - and whenever something good appeared, we'd therefore anticipate early cancellation.

They say only the good die young but perhaps what they really mean is if you don't die young you risk growing up into, say, Bono or somesuch horror

What I grew up into-->

2. DF118

science fiction TV history is littered with good stuff (or stuff that showed a lot of potential) that didn't last

Amen to that. 'The 4400' and 'Being Human' are the two that spring immediately to mind whose cancellation saddened me. It's almost not worth mentioning Firefly which is practically a byword for the whole phenomenon.

2. Daedalus

You should get the box set of "Wonderfalls". The last episode is intense in ways that you can't possibly expect. It was never shown on TV.

1. John Gamble

Exactly four episodes were shown (on an irregular schedule, of course), then the series was cancelled. I used to show the four episodes to my friends via that modern device called the VCR player.

When the boxed set of Wonderfalls came out I was amazed, and bought it immediately.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Syfy's moves are what gives it the bad rep

The weekly Syfy produced movie like Sharknado are what do. And as far as Sharknado, at least it and none of the actors in it take it seriously, making it far better than most of their movies with plots like "a comet knocked the earth's core out of alignment which will cause all life to end in a week, but this group of four intrepid people who include the one person on earth who foresaw it have a plan to re-align it and save everyone".

Sharknado is camp, or at least an attempt at camp, while most of those movies are attempts at actual movies which is frightening. MST3K wouldn't have to look at the back catalog of 50s B movies to return, they could just do an episode every Sunday making fun of whatever Syfy showed the previous night.

The series Syfy develops usually aren't that bad. I only watch a handful of them of course, some fit my taste and some don't, and some are produced on a shoestring budget, but none of them are remotely as terrible as the average made-for-Syfy movie.

3. AndrueC Silver badge
            Thumb Up

Cancelling something is how they advertise the good stuff to non-mainstream audiences.

Can I drop in a mention of Better off Ted and Dead Like Me at this point?

Both sorely missed - and US comedy that I like is rare as hens teeth :-/

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Sharknado keeps getting the money because it keeps getting a big audience. Its not high art, its escapism to watch in a group and laugh at how ridiculous it is.

4. GBE

I only found out about Wonderfalls (Pushing Daisies with fewer zombies and more weird) because I searched for things that got cancelled early.

Wonderfalls is one of my all-time favorites!

I happened to stumble across one of the episodes when it was being broadcast, and made a point to be home the next week. I think was cancelled a weeks later -- so I bought the DVD set.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

My son was ill today so I had to have time off work. I put the Syfy channel on for background noise and had the pleasure of

Lavalantula

2 Lava 2 Lantula!

and

Dracano

I don't know what's worse. These films or the fact that I watched, and actually enjoyed them!

1. Stevie

I don't know what's worse. These films or the fact that I watched, and actually enjoyed them!

This should be kept in mind for those who believe Americans actually think Sharknado deserved a sequel, or that making one wasn't taking the piss.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"This should be kept in mind for those who believe Americans actually think Sharknado deserved a sequel, or that making one wasn't taking the piss."

Making one sequel for shits'n'giggles... in the immortal words of Jake Blues: okay, I can see that.

But right now we're at Sharknado 5: Global Warming, and counting.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

I can't understand how Sharknado gets the money while Dark Matter gets cancelled. Dark Matter was hardly high-concept SciFi but it managed to strike the right balance between cheesy space and ideas like the clone transporter and it was fun to watch.

Sharknado is just bollocks.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Knocking Xena and Buffy in one article?

Tongue in cheek or not, that's fighting talk!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Recently Childhood's end and Ascension are two that I really enjoyed, imho SyFy have done a lot of good stuff but on the other hand a lot of shit.

1. John Mangan

Ascension? Nooooo!!!!!!!!

1. AndrueC Silver badge
          Happy

I actually liked Ascension. It was a cool idea to start off with. The idea that there could be hundreds of people in a spaceship right now who are the descendants of people who left Earth in the 1960s. Then they ruined it by revealing the truth about the 'space ship'.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Thumb Down

I was interested

But to watch it I will have to pay money to Murdoch. Sorry, that ain't gonna happen.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I was interested

It's Disney these days.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Alien

That's even worse.

Any, if you want space gothic....

Alastair Reynolds adaptations when?

1. DF118

Alastair Reynolds adaptations when?

This x9000, plus Iain M Banks and Peter F Hamilton.

Was at a reading with Banks and Hamilton around the time The Hydrogen Sonata and Great North Road had just been released. During the Q&A, Banks in particular was very hopeful about adaptation doors having been opened by GoT.

I would absolutely *love* to see a talented production team take on the challenge of portraying Hamilton's Prime aliens from Pandora's Star.

10. Stevie

Bah!

"The best science-fiction horror since Alien."

Which makes it automatically the best science-fiction horror since "Coeurl".

What?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meh

I'm probably a lone dissenting voice here, but if it's as "good" as Game of Thrones I'll give it a miss. Tried to watch GoT a couple of times and it seemed to be nothing but shallow juvenile characters dressed up in medieval gear beating the shit out of each other.

1. Stevie

..." it seemed to be nothing but shallow juvenile characters dressed up in medieval gear beating the shit out of each other."

No, I won't have that!

There's lots of bonking and nude nakedness too! Entirely justified by the script!

1. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

"There's lots of bonking and nude nakedness too! Entirely justified by the script!"

Sure you weren't watching my LARP club too?

2. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

"seemed to be nothing but shallow juvenile characters dressed up in medieval gear beating the shit out of each other."

Sure you weren't watching my LARP club?

12. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge
    Pirate

A Parallel AI Program for High Roller Nightflyers

The Evidence for the Prosecution ..... https://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2018/01/05/dell_data_protection_suite_patched/#c_3387226 ‽ .:-)

GRRM's Victor to amfM's Valiant ? :-) ....... https://www.pinterest.co.uk/agpswcp/victor-valiant-comic-covers/

Capiche, El Regers?

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: A Parallel AI Program for High Roller Nightflyers

And, although similar in a parallel program, completely different because one is a fantastic fiction for entertainment whereas the other is absolutely fabulous fact with future virtual reality presentations available for global broad band casting and world wide web viewing.

And both coming to theatres near you but with only the one of them one free of charge for your seats to the Spectaculars/Greater IntelAIgent Games Plays.

I Trust in Global Operating Devices that makes thing a great deal clearer whilst also introducing you to NEUKlearer HyperRadioProACTive IT Systems of Future Operation.

And Remarkably Effective Stealth with Rapid Deep Passage and Far Secured Travel into Universal Command and Immaculate Control Structures are Perfectly Guaranteed by Simple Disbelief servering Dogged Doubt.

13. Stevie

Bah!

Things I'd like to see picked up as Mini-Series:

Dragonflight Anne McCaffery

Nova Samuel R Delany

Time for the Stars Robert A Heinlein

Jack of Shadows Roger Zelazny

Forever War Joe Haldeman

Mars Ben Bova

Ringworld Larry Niven

Babel-17 Samuel R Delany

Lord of Light Roger Zelazny (Greatest movie-style ending ever)

Rendezvous with Rama Arthur C Clarke. (There be sequels.)

Nine Princes in Amber Roger Zelazny (and the four "Corwin" sequels)

Heliconia Spring, Summer, Winter Brian Aldiss

Star Smashers of the Galaxy Rangers Harry Harrison (too clever to ever be done, really)

West of Eden Harry Harrison (two sequels)

The Martian Chronicles Ray Bradbury (A decent faithful remake please)

1. VinceH

Re: Bah!

"Rendezvous with Rama Arthur C Clarke. (There be sequels.)"

A thousand times yes!

Also: Lucifer's Hammer (Niven & Pournelle) - it's a big old book IIRC, so would probably work as a mini series.

Another I'd like to throw into the list of possibilities is a trilogy, of which I've only read books 1 and 3: The Trigon Disunity (Michael P Kube McDowell).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Thanks for a few tips and picks.

3. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

A World Out of Time by Larry Niven

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not SF, but I'd love to see the Aubrey and Maturin novels made in to a series, one season per novel.

Literally a job for life for the lucky actors.

5. Tromos

Mostly agree with that list. Would like to append:

The Lankhmar novels of Fritz Leiber

The Dumarest Saga by E.C.Tubb

Battle Circle trilogy by Piers Anthony

Cities in Flight quadrilogy by James Blish

Plenty of scope in the first three of the above for the fighting and bonking that attracts many to GoT, backed up by some good SF.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

The Lankhmar novels of Fritz Leiber

Oh please, no. They were tedious enough to try and read (and as a 12-year old in the '70s I read pretty much anything I could get my hands on, thanks to a very understanding librarian in our local library..) so I don't imagine that they would translate well to film.

Cities in Flight quadrilogy by James Blish

That, however, could be really, really good - especially as we now have the CGI capabilities needed to do it justice.

1. Stevie

Re: Cities in Flight

In '84 I came to the USA and rented a furnished apartment. One of the books in the bookcase was an omnibus collection of Cities in Flight etc. I'd read them before, but welcomed the chance for a re-read.

On returning to the UK for Xmas, the first commercial I saw on the telly was the one for British Airways (I think) in which Manhattan and its bedrock fly across the screen with roaring "engine noises".

No-one said "Cities in Flight", "Spindizzy" or "James Blish", but it was of obvious provenance to those who read the stories.

Made my year.

6. HereIAmJH

I'd love to see Larry Niven get the Philip K Dick treatment. He has certainly produced enough solid material. Ringworld would make a good series. And it's not like he hasn't written for TV before.

7. Sandtitz Silver badge
      Thumb Up

"Forever War Joe Haldeman"

I think that has been in some sort of preproduction hell for years with Ridley Scott attached at some point.

Need not bother with the Forever sequels though...

I've read many books with thinking how great a movie would be but some have just so complex concepts for the common movie going people to swallow that the films would need too much explained and that would just ruin the film. Vernor Vinge's Realtime or Zone book series were brilliant stuff but I can't see how they could be filmed - the former has timespan of millions of years and the latter has alien point of views which was fun to read but probably just too...alien for the masses.

8. johndrake7

Curious as to what your take on Delany's "Time Considered as a Helix of Semi-Precious Stones" and "The Star Pit" would be in this context?

9. tiggity Silver badge

Have to throw some of the Moorcock Elric stories if they want GOT style series.

The Deep Purple track "StormBringer" as a ready made them tune

And the bonus of NO happy ending

10. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Dragonflight Anne McCaffery

They would just turn it into some low-budget carp for the "ooohhh.. dragons" teen crowd and miss the whole point. (Yes - that series was one of my favourites (along with the Darkover books) when I was much, much younger than I am now..)

Forever War Joe Haldeman They would just do the same thing as they did with Starship Troopers - turn a book that portrays the waste and futility of war into a gorefest with lots of gratuitous explosions.

Heliconia Spring, Summer, Winter Brian Aldiss One of the more unreadable of Brians series :-(

As you can see, I'm full of the positive joys of the New Year today. Either that or I'm fully aware of how badly the 'Entertainment' industry will screw up some really, really good books.

(And if I thought they would do a good job (hah!), I'd nominate the Honor Harrington series by David Weber. Not bad considering he steals plotlines wholesale from the French Revolution and Napoleonic Wars.. Likewise, the Miles Vorkosigan books by M Bujold - really, really good sci-fi and extremely well-written. Which doubtless would be screwed up by being made as "GoT in Spaaaace")

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bumper Sticker

This might only have context in the US, but I liked the bumper sticker: Guns don't kill people, GRR Martin kills people.

1. Ugotta B. Kiddingme
  15. Blotto Silver badge

I'm enjoying The Orville

I'm actually really enjoying The Orville, its very much like a modern version of the original Star Trek, turning many of todays views on its head and viewed through a futuristic eye.

The captain & first officer plot is an interesting distraction that will develop as the show matures, as do the other characters. I think we know more about more characters in Orville than we ever did in Star Trek of any generation.

1. Blotto Silver badge

Re: I'm enjoying The Orville

Orville will be getting more scifi less family guy jokes

https://www.avclub.com/seth-macfarlane-says-the-orvilles-second-season-will-be-1821792442

Riker directed an episode too

https://trekmovie.com/2018/01/04/jonathan-frakes-contrasts-directing-the-orville-and-star-trek-discovery/

16. Anonymous Coward
    Go

"picked up by the cable channel Syfy"

Considering it is the SyFy channel, which 80s popstar is going to be casted in this series? Boy George could play an alien without requiring much makeup (just throwing that out there)! And what part does Tara Reid get?

17. Snowy Silver badge
    Facepalm

Hmmm

A film from a short story can work, but a series from it is a bit of a stretch?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hmmm

After the success of GoT, George R. R. Martin could probably get his tax returns filmed, so be thankful this isn't his tax returns!

18. Rustbucket

GRRM SF Horror

One of the best written and scariest things he's written was a novelette called Sandkings, originally published in Omni magazine. It won Hugo, Nebula and Locus awards at the time.

It was adapted into a one hour, single episode "for TV" show but that was done on the cheap and severely cut down.

It would be an excellent candidate for expansion into a movie, albeit with some small script adjustment for the unending bleakness, lack of any likeable characters and "everybody dies" ending.

1. tiggity Silver badge

Re: GRRM SF Horror

Nothing wrong with bleak and unhappy endings, way too many unfeasibly cheery film endings for my taste

19. DeVino
    Facepalm

From the makers of...

There a freaking gazillion good sci-fi stories out there.

Why do "The Shining" in Space?

20. This post has been deleted by its author

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I, greatly, enjoyed

The Myth Adventures series by Robert Asprin

http://mythadventures.net/myth-adventures-chronology/

Thieves' World anthology

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thieves%27_World

I would have read whichever of those was in print before about 1990 and greatly enjoyed them. I think either series could make an interesting TV series, but like any other set of books that one's enjoyed it'd be important that it wasn't done on the cheap and ruined just by that. Although, with proper script writing a series can start out with minimal expenditure as I think Red Dwarf did. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dwarf

22. Matthew Taylor

Iain M Banks

This sounds interesting - I love aliens / scifi, especially when it's laced with spooky mysterious happenings. I hope they can stand to reveal things slowly (Alien / Babylon 5 / Signs) rather than sparf everything out up front in the trailer.

What I'd love to know is, when will some of Iain M Banks' wonderful books make it onto our screens. I bet Netflix could do a great 8 / 10 part serial of Player of Games, for example.

23. AndersBreiner

Audiobook/dissection

There's an audiobook here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTG6AGHMxnQ

And Preston Jacobs talks about the themes here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsgqEDqm8uI

So there's about 4.5 hours of material.

It's not like GOT which is enough for multiple series.

24. I'm Brian and so's my wife
    Thumb Up

"[blah, blah] Gretchen Mol" - sold!

25. Christian Berger

I'm confused

I mean I distinctly remember from a BBC documentary that Game of Thrones was written by Shakespeare and that he's already dead. So how can he write new things?

Also what has this to do with HBO, doesn't John Snow work for Channel 4? (actually probably ITN)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm confused

Shakespeare is dead? Citation please.

Re: I'm confused

Shakespeare is dead? Citation please.

He can't be. Why, I saw him on TV recently in a biopic entitled "Upstart Crow"..

26. John Smith 19 Gold badge

Personally I'd quite like to see the "Tuf Voyaging" collection on screen

Quite amusing, and definitely capable of being extended in a variety of directions.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Personally I'd quite like to see the "Tuf Voyaging" collection on screen

I was going to say the same. I've been reading GRRM for a while (I read the original short story of "Sandkings" when it was published in Omni, a few centuries ago), but Tuf Voyaging remains my favorite of his. It's a solid fix-up and the first story in particular is very cinematic.

And because it's a fix-up, it would be easy for new viewers to start watching at any point.

27. Aladdin Sane

"mind behind the greatest TV show ever"

Richard Curtis and Ben Elton?

28. 0laf

I think everyone has their fav series they'd like to see done.

Clark's Rama series has been in development hell for about 40yr. I think I read last that Morgan Freeman of all people holds the rights at the moment.

I'd always wanted Richard Margan's Takashi Kovacks trilogy to get made and I found out in this very forum that Netflix is doing it. Now I'm scared about what an arse they could make of it.

I'd also like to see some of Neal Asher's Polity stuff done. It's quite visual anyway.

I'd always wanted Richard Margan's Takashi Kovacks trilogy to get made and I found

Likewise with Bernard Cornwell. I much enjoyed his "Last Kingdom" series and was quite nervous about the BBC production. Fortunately, while it does lack a little on the dialogue front, it does a very, very good job of showing both the series of books and the time period that it's set in.

Even if they do insist on all the Viking characters wearing too much eye makeup..

29. MrBanana

The Blade Itself

If you want a GOT type mix of fighting, magic, fighting, family and political intrigue, and fighting then try Joe Abercrombie's First Law series. (Did I mention the fighting?)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon