back to article Yahooooo! says! its! email! is! scrahoooo-ed!

Yahoo! Mail – yes, amazingly it is still a thing – is today taking a break from business as usual norms with the service down for almost the past seven hours. Since circa 9am, the email service has received hundreds of complaints an hour on downdetector.co.uk, with users moaning about persistant "error 15" messages, and others …

1. Big-G

Seems to be back now

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. wolfetone Silver badge
    Pint

Lovely to see some creativity with headlines relating to Yahoo! in 2018!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

Working

Been working all day for me via the app. The Web version has been crap for years since it was "upgraded"

Everyone has a junk account for their spam accounts don't they?

4. inmypjs Silver badge

Surprised...

anyone is left to notice.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Windows

Re: Surprised...

I told my sister to leave this particular Titanic, but she wouldn't listen.

2. heyrick Silver badge

I use Yahoo! - saves giving addresses I care about to sites I'm not sure if I can trust. Plus, the disposable account thingy means it is pretty simple to create an address <prefix>-<sitename>@yahoo.co.uk which makes it kind of obvious if the site passes on my information. The origin is right there in the address...

1. Tom Chiverton 1

GMail supports plus addressing too.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> "...saves giving addresses I care about to sites I'm not sure if I can trust."

This seems to be Yahoo Mail's primary usage these days, at least among the tech savvy.

5. Locky

The Register has contacted Yahoo! for comment

You did it my e-mail, right?

6. Dr Who

The question is, does this raise the spectre of a total meltdown?

1. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Maybe their techies installed patches against spectre and meltdown, but buggered up something in the process...

7. Spudley

The Register has contacted Yahoo! for comment

Did you send your contact request via email, by any chance?

1. Steve Aubrey
      Coat

"The Register has contacted Yahoo! for comment"

That's just cruel. Funny, yes, but still cruel.

8. }{amis}{
    Coat

odd

I use yahoo as my junk mail sync and ive been in and out of it all day with no issues beyond yahoos usual naff interface.

Possibly only 1 of the regional centres is down??

9. BobChip
    FAIL

BT srew up, I think

Yahoo mail server is working fine, through Yahoo Mail login. BT is not accessing it through the BT login process. Looks to me like BT have screwed up - again. I hate Yahoo and am becoming increasingly pissed off with bt. Push is getting close to shove (off).

1. heyrick Silver badge

Re: BT srew up, I think

Not BT, I don't think. My phone experienced trouble syncing to Yahoo! this afternoon. My ISP... Orange France.

10. Velv

A service outage at El Reg?

An article about a Service being down without the journalist using TITSUP

1. Spacedinvader

Re: A service outage at El Reg?

I'm assuming they're still hungover. Not italicised ! either...

11. Spacedinvader
    Meh

Headline writers being lazy again :|

On the bright side, at least if you have a Yahoo account, you can't get hacked at the moment.

12. MrWibble
    Windows

Another "unimportant people get angry on twitter about inconsequential stuff" story.

Please stop reporting people whinging as news - I don't care if some random, somewhere, tweeted yahoo to shout at them. It's almost as bad as me spending effort to type this.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Does that count as whinging?

2. terrythetech
      FAIL

May I nominate you for unimportant person of the year award!

3. spacecadet66

Don't put yourself to the trouble on our account.

13. DagD

Coincidently...

World spam seems to be down 10%. Interesting...

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Coincidently...

"World spam seems to be down 10%. Interesting."

Now we need gmail and outlook to be down to take out the other 90%.

14. psychonaut

yahoo - spam box - down? well, whatever....

btyahoo - hahahaha! no, ah haahahahaha! jesus really, for your primary, maybe even business email? oh jesus christ. maybe you even had it printed on your business card or, side of your van? oh ffs

bt's implemntation of o365 - pop access, not even imap, or god forbid exchange...try migrating someone to anything where they need to keep the folders they have made on webmail...

forward emails from old btyahoo account to new - forbidden, by design...bastards...

absolute, total cockery

15. SVV

Awww, c'mon folks

It's old and rickety now andi if it needs a lie down and a nap every now and then or occassionaly forgets to lock the front door, we shoudn't poke fun at it. Especially as it's in its' senior years and will shorty be heading off to the big backup tape archive in the sky after a life working hard to deliver spam for every opportunistic scumbag on the planet.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yahoo was already dead long ago

Got screwed over by two consecutive clueless harridan CEOs.

Carol Bartz killed Geocities.

Marissa Mayer redesigned the Yahoo logo with a hipster touch and hit Yahoo Mail with the ugly stick and the ad hammer.

Both did nothing else that was beneficial to the company.

17. Aseries

I have used YAHOO email since at least 1998. I have changed my address at least twice. Since Gmail came on the scene I only use my YAHOO as a dummy for transitory contacts that don't actually matter. I would NEVER actually use it to communicate. My HOTMAIL is similar. I only use it for a Microsoft ID. I have a COMCAST email only because I have to. I don't get why people bother with YAHOO. If I sound like a snob, I apologize.

1. The Mole

Mostly as I have had it for the same amount of time as you (that's now the majority of my life), it does the job (most of the time), is free and I can't be bothered to change given the number of logins that I'd have to update.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Many of us signed up for Yahoo Mail since the dialup days

Same as Hotmail (which became a turd after countless 'innovations' by Microsoft).

One of my friends has a Rocketmail account... before it was acquired by Yahoo in 1997.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RocketMail

Yahoo Japan is quite autonomous, and its webmail service is more similar to the 'classic' Yahoo mail. If you know Japanese, you can sign up for an account and see for yourself. Even the Yahoo Japan home page portal resembles classic Yahoo.

Good things happen when you're insulated from the madness afflicting the corporate headquarters.

18. ForthIsNotDead

It was just a temporary outage...

...the cleaner un-plugged the Pentium II under the stairs in order to hoover the office.

It's plugged in again now. As you were.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like