Music and relationships

This topic was created by Bill Ray .

1. Bill Ray

Music and relationships

If you're sharing your life with other humans, how do you organise your music?

Does it all go into one server with a shuffle button, or do you maintain separate collections? At what point in the relationship does one combine music collections with a partner?

If the relationship fails do people really sit down and decide who gets which MP3 file, and if it works do the kids (if kids there are) get to put their music into the same pot (do I really have to add "Music Rox" to my playback list)?

1. Goldmember

Re: Music and relationships

At the minute, I keep my other half's music collection separate to my own. Mainly because I don't like 95% of it (a lot of modern pop and some <shudder> 'R n B'), but also because it's easier for her to find her own stuff, rather than trawl through my own vast collection of MP3s. I've invested in a NAS drive and will be hooking it up to the PS3 when it arrives though, so that may change a few things, and may encourage her to broaden her tsates a bit, once I put everything on there.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Kids sharing same spotify account is not recipe for happiness.

3. Michael Shelby

No matter what you do, make backups. Trust me.

4. Tony Smith, Ed, Reg Hardware

Separate collections. It's not that we don't have much in common, but the missus can't organise files to save her life. As for discs, she's the sort who leaves the price labels on, bless her.

5. dogged

Same collections - she has probably better taste than me - but different playlists.

1. Pooka

Same collection... well - kinda complicated.

It tends to start out as separate collections, but over time my incredible urge to organise my music kicks in and they all kinda get swept up into one whole new complicated archival system that makes perfect sense to me, but a real pain in the ass for anyone else to try and navigate through,

In practise, I think she'll keep her spotify, and I'll keep all my stuff well away from it all.

2. Caleb Cox (Written by Reg staff)

Best to just find a girlfriend who likes the same kind of music I reckon. My previous woman was hugely into her 80's new romantic cringe, and while I first thought she's entitled to like whatever she wants, it soon became too much to bear. Talk about a stuck record. Literally, sometimes.

At least when you share the same music interests, no matter who chooses the choons, you'll both like them.

Then again, Spotify and P2P downloads seem to have ruined my music listening anyway. I used to gather huge collections of CDs in oversized wallets, but now if I want to listen to a song I just hit up Youtube and when it stops I generally sit in silence or get distracted elsewhere. Such a shame.

The digital age has its benefits, but has definitely caused me to stop listening to as much music, even with smaller portable devices. I miss my CD walkman. :(

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don’t fight over your old CDs... When love ends, walk away with nothing but your dignity

That's the headline of a sentimental account by a woman who got to keep everything when her husband walked out.

But the central point - don't fight over things - it ain't worth it - is something more of us could and should bear in mind.

4. jasperellis

It irritates me when the people around me never let me listen to what I want, but other than that, I don't think there's a huge impact on relationships.

5. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

If you could woo her with your mix tape everything will be fine.

6. robbie208

Keep it separate, save skipping through all the songs you don't actually like...

7. ed_p

Had a friend that recently broke up with his partner. He seemed to be particularly annoyed that she ended up with his iTunes library more than anything.

8. David_Michaels

Wow, interesting question.

Well me and my partner have separate playlists, to be specific playlists depending on our moods also (party,relax,long drives)

9. adamlevine

Talking up his own feelings through music.

Dexterity, these words are not easy to say on music

10. DidierAubin87

Believe me, Music and relationship are the related things. If your beloved also has the same thought and feeling in music with you, you and her/him will become closer to each other. Two of you will see the harmony in the soul

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon