1. Keir Snelling
    FAIL

Iron Man 3.

I watched this last night.

Didn't disappoint, with one exception.

When, oh when, will Hollywood learn to do computers properly?

Tony Stark breaks in to an outside broadcast van to attempt to use their computers to hack AIM's computers and find out what was the truth behind the Extremis program.

First off he checks the available bandwidth, and appears to use something like speedtest.net - Very good Hollywood, credible at this point.

Then he gains more bandwidth by having the tech fiddle with a satellite dish. Not sure about this, but I can suspend credibility for a while.

Then, and not for the first time in a film, we see IP addresses on screen. When will Hollywood ever learn that 936.345.643.21 is not technically possible?

Can they not for once just employee a technical advisor with even rudimentary networking knowledge? Please?

1. Corinne

Re: Iron Man 3.

Though I agree with you about Hollywood NOT doing computers very well, could it be that they are displaying a number that isn't technically possible on purpose - rather like if someone says a telephone number on screen it always starts with "555" and there are no numbers that start that way (in the US at least)?

The purpose of this kind of thing is to prevent some poor innocent person being harassed by an idiot who phones the number etc....

1. Anonymous Coward 15

Like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/867-5309/Jenny

2. do everything you are passionate about passionatly

yes heaven forbid someone complains because their ip or phone number has been shown

you have made a good point here

2. share2jason

like this movie very much!

2. Keir Snelling
    Facepalm

Also,,,

While I'm on the subject, why would said outside broadcast van need a whole rackfull of Sun/Oracle Sparc kit in a Sun/Oracle logo'd cabinet?

Product placement much?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Also,,,

As an employee of said company it was embarrassing to say the least and the other bit of product placement... "We searched the XXXXX cloud and found THIS" to which I was expecting an embarrassed silence and everyone twiddling their thumbs...

Anon for obvious...

3. Keir Snelling
    Meh

I don't believe they do it deliberately - If they were concerned about drawing attention to a real IP address, why not use private address ranges, or even better, use the IP address of www.marvel.com and drive traffic to the film's official website?

1. Daniel B.
      Boffin

They do it deliberately.

The tradition goes all the way back to The Net, where the third octet for the Praetorian's IP was wrong. Interestingly, a lot of what Angela Benett does is actual UNIX stuff, only shown more graphically (you can see output from whois, ps and other commands there.) They just added drama to what amounts to a traceroute+who+whois search. Given how much they actually researched on IT stuff, it is obvious it was deliberately made to not match a real IP.

One movie that did use a valid IP address but that can't be truly mapped in the public internet was Matrix Reloaded, with an IP in the 10/8 "private class A" block. But then that movie actually used a real exploit for that particular scene!

Other examples using obviously broken IPs would be Criminal Minds, CSI:NY among others...

4. DidierAubin87
    Happy

I have watched also. Because Iron Man is one of my most favorite superheroes, he is still cool and amazing with me. Acting skills are great as I expected. Waiting for the next episodes ;)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon