back to article Merry Christmas, UK prosecutors: Here's a special gift... a slap from the privacy watchdog

The UK Ministry of Justice has been slammed for poor handling of requests for personal records made under data protection laws – and told to fix the 700-plus backlog by October. In an enforcement notice [PDF] issued yesterday, Blighty's data protection watchdog, the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), said the justice …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Would personal penalties help?

1. Pen-y-gors

I think they probably would.

A holiday in Strangeways is lovely at this time of year.

Or possibly something involving a lamp-post and a length of 1/2 inch hemp rope - they say the prospect concentrates a man's mind wonderfully.

2. Camilla Smythe

Haa Haa Haa

Fortunately once we get out of the EU and replace the Judiciary with Ayatollah May the ICO and other such EU imposed frippery can go get binned. We voted out. Suck it up folks.

1. macjules

Re: Haa Haa Haa

Yeah, who needs a judiciary when you have Twitter and Nigel Farage as the arbiter of good taste.

2. mark 120

Ahahahaha.

No. GDPR comes in by May, reducing the response time to 30 days. Gov has already said we will align with GDPR, even if it means bringing in an equivalent bill. So if anything, the DoJ will be even more fucked by October unless it's got it's processes sorted oout.

1. Camilla Smythe

No. GDPR comes in by May...

Gov has already said we will align with GDPR...

Working Time Directive?

Enjoy your Hormone Injected Genetically Modified Chlorinated Chicken Burger.

Haa Haa Haa

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@ Camilla Smythe: What is it about making your own decisions that you find so frightening?

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
            Unhappy

"What is it about making your own decisions that you find so frightening?"

Because in fact they won't be British decisions any more?

"Regulatory alignment" (to keep the IR happy) and "No legal special case treatment for NI*" (to keep Mrs May's new BFF happy**) the UK will remain running on EU laws for years to come.

Except that now it won't be able to say a word about what those laws are. It will be a case of "Growups talking, so STFU or leave the room.*"

The prediction by Ken Livingston that "Brexit will take longer than you expect and you won't get what you want" is still looks like the most accurate summary of the situation.

*If in fact the UK is allowed in the room to begin with.

** Although a few more £Bn donations would no doubt not go amiss.

1. Maverick

Re: "What is it about making your own decisions that you find so frightening?"

"The prediction by Ken Livingston that "Brexit will take longer than you expect and you won't get what you want" is still looks like the most accurate summary of the situation."

that is one minor step above mention Hitler in a debate, well done!

1. Spacedinvader
                Facepalm

Re: "What is it about making your own decisions that you find so frightening?"

aaaaaaaaaand there's Godwin

2. Hans 1
            Happy

@Credas

Assuming saving NHS was just a lure, the other reason put forward, ethnic cleansing of the British isles, probably means that you will be backing a hard Brexit. You cannot, as Mr Barnier said have passporting rights WITHOUT the other freedoms ... this means that, either the UK does a soft Brexit and thus renounces the ethnic cleansing, and loses ALL DECISION MAKING concerning directives this time REALLY IMPOSED UPON YOU or the UK loses 40% of GDP, at the very least, as I already wrote multiple times pre-referendum ... I as a Brit don't care what you choose, either way, you are worse off ...

And I am so very delighted by this, because, you see, I have always loved watching patriots (whatever the nation, yes, even "mine") get some good spanking they so very much deserve!

Tschüss!

PS: I am also delighted by the prospect of absence of British MEP's, they were only holding us Europeans back anyway.

1. Commswonk

PS: I am also delighted by the prospect of absence of British MEP's, they were only holding us Europeans back anyway.

Would that be by the UK being the second largest contributor to EU funds? No wonder the EU negotiators are giving us a hard time...

I'm sure you'll manage a "great leap forward" once less money turns up every year.

1. Lars Silver badge
                Pint

"the UK being the second largest contributor to EU funds".

No the UK is not the second largest contributor nor the second largest economy.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/france-britain-uk-world-s-fifth-largest-economy-brexit-eu-referendum-a7123761.html

Doesn't matter and I cannot see any win/win result out of this, nor was there any Brexit plan in the first place.

So we have to wait and see. Unions seldom like to lose members, I believe that goes for the UK too.

One possible loser will be Poland as they are about to lose the EU contribution if the Polish government doesn't come to their senses, the number one country when it comes to EU funding.

Jule Öl and Happy Christmas.

2. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

#fail. You have fallen for brexit lies and half truths again.

https://inews.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/2JunEUcontribsFINALweb-1-1260x836.jpg

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Oh Hans...

Do you really think people voted Brexit for ethnic cleansing? Those people are a minority. What some people and I'm going to include all those "ethnics" you speak of including EU people with the right to live and stay in the UK voted for was stopping free movement of people to protect jobs and wages. It's all about the money.

The current government charade is so they can perform a hard brexit to get rid of all those rules and laws that protect the people and not business. If that wasn't the plan then the negotiations would be very simple, we follow your rules, you get our trade which is very much in their interest.

They'll be no spanking, the EU will struggle like hell once the UK leaves and so will we. There is no happy outcome I'm afraid and all the posturing in the press by the EU is going to make them look like idiots at the end of all this the same as our government are idiots.

Please enjoy your moment in the sun because come the end of it we'll all be sat in the rain without an umbrella wearing nothing but our underpants.

3. Camilla Smythe

@Hans

So tell me this? Once we get back control of our coastal waters where are you Europeons going to get your Cockles and Mussels from? Don't forget your Jellied Eels as well. According to our DExEU department's Sectoral Reports a lot of this fishing type thing goes on on the coasts. Bet you did not think of that one. Plus we get to burn your water quality standards and get back to swimming in sewage and used condoms. Not so clever now, are you?

1. Aitor 1

The problem with fishing is that most fishermen are out of jobs because a few companies own all the fishing rights.

Even with a hard brexit this would not be solved. Yes, we would recover part of the rights, maybe 40%, but the one to win tbe bids for them would be the big companies.

And as we believe in free market they would mainly target the export market, and use the cheapest extracting method: big ships with few fishermen and most of them foreign.

4. Lars Silver badge
              Happy

@ Hans 1

Referring to British MEP's I would claim you are rather unfair as Farage wasn't the only one and I am sure there was quality MEP's too.

But you know how it is, if in an elevator with say twenty people one is farting, everybody becomes a suspect and nobody is pleased.

Written with some experience on a Linux laptop.

1. gnasher729 Silver badge

I saw a bunch of UKIP MEPs celebrating when Theresa May handed the Brexit plan to the EU, and to look at them, you'd swear they are a bunch of inbreds. It seems Farage collected a bunch who all liked uglier than himself.

5. fruitoftheloon
              Happy

@Hans 1:Re: Haa Haa Haa

Hans,

I am not being sarcy here btw, would you be so kind as to detail specific reasons as to why 40% of our GDP is about to go walkabout?

And when, inquiring minds would like to know!

Regards,

Jay

3. PeterGriffin

Leaving the EU doesn't suddenly mean we can start making our own decisions. The ability to do so already existed. What the government lacked was the creative thinking when implementing them and it still does.

What annoys the hell out of me is the notion that we NEED unbridled sovereignty. What's wrong with a common framework? Of course they involve compromise but so does any relationship. The only people who separate because they don't always get their way aren't nice people and that is what the UK is becoming. A petulant, self-centred man-child who wont let anyone else play with their toys. The notion that our sovereignty will be held is laughable as our laws will be molded to suit whichever nation state or trading block the government wants to appease.

You can take back full sovereignty. But, for what? Thatcher bet the farm on the financial markets and the UK's manufacturing companies have died or moved to China. Once Brexit occurs and UK business can't directly trade in European markets that chunk of business will be gone too. If we can't align with European food safety laws that business will become restricted. So where is this Green Grass we're heading to?

1. Roger Mew

As the poo goes down the toilet and then gets spread on the fields the green grass will come from that. So people, do realise that you are going to flung onto the fields as fertiliser just as dung is. have no fear, gove and boris will be OK they will see the green shoots and be able to see and admire it, you dear reader have just been swallowed up! Unless of course Brexit is stopped. Companies no longer in UK Horlicks, MG, Thermos, Osram, Lucas car parts, some sweet companies, soon to follow car manufacturers Others have been swallowed by foreign companies and no longer exist in the UK and some soon to be going. Some major car parts makers are no longer in the UK so these that were English are now imports. So now you know, the turds go down the toilet (read the UK) get put into cesse pits (read UK people), fester for a while and then get puts onto fields to make fertiliser and then the grass grows. You will not see it!

4. RegGuy1 Silver badge

@Credas: But we HAVE been making our own decisions. Its called the EU. They don't do it to us -- we do it to each other. We -- WE -- get to say what the decisions are. Or do you mean QMV? If so, what QMVs?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Ok what happens if we have a hard brexit? Do we believe that we will follow all the EU directives then? That would explain the governments bungling and the press position of us bending over and taking one for team from the EU without lube I might add.

1. Camilla Smythe

Ok what happens if we have a hard brexit? Do we believe that we will follow all the EU directives then?

Stop asking questions. David 'Cheshire Cat' Davis has got it all buttoned up.

I have done my homework.

The dog ate my homework.

My dog died of starvation some months ago.

My Hero.

It's all getting sold off to the lowest bidder with the cash moved offshore and you get to eat gravel if you can find any and have a relevant permit.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Ok what happens if we have a hard brexit?"

The voters who thought taking control was a good idea will find that (a) in the modern world nobody has as much control as they thought they'd have because external factors such as world markets determine so much and (b) such control as they have is over a cratering economy.

When there's nobody about who'll admit to having voted Leave there'll be a clamour to get back in at any terms possible, one of which will be saying goodbye to the pound.

Taking back control, indeed!

3. Aitor 1

Toothless.

The main problem I see being a foreigner in the UK is that authorities canbreak tbe law with legal impunity. Nothing bad happens to tbem unless they create political problems.

In Spain and most countries (not including USA and Canada) it is a crime to make illegal decisions while knonwing they are illegal if you are an official. Granted that they are not prosecuted as much as they should and that it is not that difficult to avoid being prosecuted (being incompetent is not illegal).

I love the uk and I would like these people ignoring the law to be things of the past.

My 2 cents would be that records are improperly stored and the workers have too much work.. and because cuts have been made they just cant cope.

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Thumb Up

And in breaking News

Courtesy of the Streisand effect the backlog of personal data requests just tripled.

4. smudge
    Joke

What an odd picture...

... to illustrate the article.

"Christ! Someone's nicked my watch!"

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Joke

Re: What an odd picture...

missing watch...

probably snagged it on her dress

5. kain preacher

Simple solution. Just stamp them all as classified and reject all quest .

6. spold Silver badge

GDPR comments...

Bill 66 - Data Protection Act 2017 which will bring the UK Data Protection Act 1998 in line with GDPR is already drafted and going through the process. GDPR will happen irrespective of Brexit, this is essential to maintain the UK's Adequacy status and permit businesses to continue transfer of data across borders.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Unhappy

"GDPR will happen irrespective of Brexit, this is essential to maintain the UK's Adequacy

What an interesting use of words.

"Adequacy."

As in "Just about makes a passing grade, if they try."

Three cheers for Blighty. Hip, hip....

1. spold Silver badge

Re: "GDPR will happen irrespective of Brexit, this is essential to maintain the UK's Adequacy

>What an interesting use of words.

No it's a specific term used and and defined in both current laws and guidance and in the GDPR. Essentially it protects privacy by saying Data Controllers can only transfer your personal information to other countries that offer the same level of protections (or have a mechanism that guarantees the same). Stops your sensitive personal information going off to China my old fruit!

1. BebopWeBop
          Pirate

Re: "GDPR will happen irrespective of Brexit, this is essential to maintain the UK's Adequacy

Or the US (at least there is a hypothesis that suggests so)

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Adequacy."

A bit like what the medical profession consider is an "obese" person and what the general public think an "obese" person is. Usually very different definitions.

1. Teiwaz

A bit like what the medical profession consider is an "obese" person and what the general public think an "obese" person is. Usually very different definitions.

The Medical profession seem to keep widening, I think it's now whether you've had a large lunch within the last day or so....

7. Commswonk

Suggestion

From the Article: The MoJ did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Sometime around 2021, perhaps; the year that is, not the time.

Please don't leave anyone in the office over the holiday in anticipation of a comment.

8. jmch Silver badge

Nice touch from MoJ here...

"the historical backlog in responding to special access requests from offenders is addressed"

In implying that any person requesting this information is, by their definition, an "offender".

Nice try, but you are the offenders in this case!

1. teebie

Re: Nice touch from MoJ here...

They've been listening to the nudge department.

"No no, don't *say* that anyone who makes a data request is scum. Imply it, and anyone who is inclined to agree with us will make the leap on their own"

9. Barrie Shepherd

Why is it so hard

I want to know what information the MOJ holds on me so why is it so hard, they just go to a terminal. type in my name and whatever appears on the screen then print/down load and send to me. Should take no more than 10 minutes of an operators time.

Presumably a policeman sat in a car with a secure data terminal can do this and get answers within minutes why does it take the MOJ years to achieve for individuals?

I suspect its because they have to do a lot of redacting, because they don't want us to know the expanse of the information they hold on every individual.

1. MachDiamond Silver badge

Re: Why is it so hard

"I suspect its because they have to do a lot of redacting, because they don't want us to know the expanse of the information they hold on every individual."

I have a friend that is a police officer in a big city and he told me about a training sessions he went through for a new data tracking system the city installed. They were allowed to look themselves up and he found a couple of hundred entries where his car's number plate had been automatically scanned. The data could be put on a map with estimates made of his speed between points. The system guessed correctly where he worked and where he lived. It also figured out where he had his dry cleaning done. All of this took minutes. Be afraid.

Some of the issues with releasing the data might be behind the scenes court decisions about what does and doesn't have to be disclosed.

10. Arthur Kater :-D ☺

Totaly off-topic: Horrible new The Register interface

Why has The Register adopted this horrible new list-style interface?

1. jmch Silver badge

Re: Totaly off-topic: Horrible new The Register interface

" list-style interface"

I think it's the mobile site showing up on desktop. Wasn't sure if it was only me... apparently not

Yes it's awful, get it fixed El Reg!

11. MachDiamond Silver badge

Open a commercial account

….. at any of the big data firms, FB, Spokeo, etc and you can have personal data on just about anybody you wish within seconds. The depressing thing is that it's not very expensive unless you want a complete dossier on Daniel Craig. The file on an average punter is £'s or pence depending on the plan you sign up for. So what's the hold up?

12. michael cadoux

Robust

It's that managementspeak word! Often misapplied after some snafu, when the organisation claims to have "robust systems in place" - well they obviously weren't robust enough, mate. Also, it's not enough to draw up policies and then (like pointy-hair to Dilbert) say "well I've done my bit, why can't you?"

"Robust" shouldn't be treated like a magical incantation, it must be do-able by the poor sods on the ground, in this case without the time required compromising judicial work.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like