back to article Weed wish you a merry Christmas: Pot-toting OAPs tell cops 30kg stash is for pressies

The friends and family of an elderly couple from Nebraska may have lost out on their share of almost 30kg of pot this festive season after cops spotted their stash. Police in the US state reportedly sniffed out the loot when they pulled over the pair's pickup truck for driving over the centre line and failing to indicate. …

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Should we presume that their version of Santa Claus has dreadlocks... ?

1. Semtex451
      1. Pompous Git Silver badge

No?

But watch out for itchy areas

When you meet them Masturbarias

Captain Goodvibes

2. M-AD

Yaa Mon!

2. Ian Michael Gumby
    Coat

They won't see any jail time.

Due to their advanced age, they will be convicted, fined, and put on probation.

(Want to bet that they have a card for medical MJ? )

These two are definitely first gen hippies. (Do the math)

Mine's the Scotties vest lined with vacuumed packed baggies... ;-)

1. kain preacher

Re: They won't see any jail time.

That much is federal time. Mandatory sentencing . Possession with intent to distribute . 1-20 at the state level drug trafficking 0-20 . At the federal level Drug trafficking can get you life . Possession with intent to distribute at the federal level is a minimum of 5 years.

2. The Count
      Thumb Down

Have you ever been to Nebraska? Not only is any amount of weed illegal, the general population are some serious hillbillies. Let alone the cops.

1. IceC0ld

Have you ever been to Nebraska? Not only is any amount of weed illegal, the general population are some serious hillbillies. Let alone the cops.

------------------------

the only character I'm aware of from Nebraska is Penny, Penny, Penny ..............

as for their age, it doesn't mean they get to walk, they may do a basic term, but Nebraska doesn't sound like it's on the torist path TBF :o)

3. Little Mouse

The most potent drugs I ever got from my grandparents were mint imperials. <sigh>

1. a pressbutton

Mint imperials

... foundation stones of the Empire!

(along with booze)

1. MachDiamond Silver badge

Re: Mint imperials

I'd prefer the mint imperials.

2. Bill M

Glaucoma & cannabis

The grandparents of someone I used to know grew cannabis to alleviate the glaucoma that affected their vision and hence their golf.

The grandfather once confided that he was not sure if it actually helped his vision, but after a few tokes he no longer worried about how rubbish his golf was and he certainly enjoyed it more, although now has to carry round a stash of sweeties and crisps dues to the munchies that usually started on the seventh fairway.

3. PNGuinn
      Holmes

The most potent drugs I ever got from my grandparents were mint imperials. <sigh>

Not Werther's originals?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: The most potent drugs I ever got from my grandparents were mint imperials. <sigh>

"Not Werther's originals"?

AKA paedo pellets.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ridiculous excuse as everyone knows Santa won't give you drugs, I should know I've asked for them enough times and been really good all year.

1. Bill M

More than just mince pies

Once left Santa a couple of spliffs by his mince pies.

In the morning I saw the spliffs and mince pies were gone, but then noticed half the Christmas cake missing as well.

1. The Count
        Happy

Re: More than just mince pies

How do you think he got so fat in the first place?

2. Anonymous C0ward
      Pint

I once read that the image of flying reindeer came from Sami tribes high on shrooms.

1. handleoclast

Xmas symbolism

@Anonymous C0ward

Not just flying reindeer. A whole shitload of Xmas symbolism comes from Amanita muscaria ingestion by Lapplanders. See here.

Enjoy your glass of hallucinogenic reindeer piss.

Don't let Harvey Weinstein decorate your tree with "tinsel substitute."

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"I once read that the image of flying reindeer came from Sami tribes high on shrooms."

Shrooms?

1. The Count
          Happy

Shrooms = Mushrooms = Psilocybin. Great fun to be had by all. Just stay out of New Jersey when doing it.

1. jerryboam

UK Query

Why?

5. disgruntled yank

Mighty generous

The use of marijuana is now legal in the District of Columbia. At a paraphernalia store on Columbia Road NW, the electronic sign says says "NO FREE GRASS", followed by "PLEASE DON'T ASK". But ask any politician outside the Atlantic drainage, and some within it: people in the heartland are the salt of the earth, those along the east coast are soulless parasites.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This could be friends and enemies

For the friends: obvious

For the enemies: an anonymous tip to the police on Christmas Day (but make sure you left no fingerprints on the package)

6. DNTP

Alternatives to weed that would have been legal

-27 kg of traditional tobacco products that lobbyists insist are safe

-27 kg (~34 L) of pure ethanol (equivalent about 65L of drinkable whiskey) that is definitely less harmful, less addictive, and less impairing than weed

-27 kg (~2200 rounds) of Patriotic American Terrorist Killer MAGA Special Edition AR-15 rifle ammunition

-27 kg of paperwork (~6000 jobs) embracing glorious free market capitalism by sending jobs offshore

1. handleoclast

Re: Alternatives to weed that would have been legal

@DNTP

I think you needed a /s there. Four out of five (now six) people didn't spot your sarcasm.

2. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

They were busted for transporting an absurd quantity of a taxable and controlled product. Alcohol, tobacco, or ammo would have been at least as bad.

A woman was caught in the same area today with over 209 kg of pot. Don't you hate it give everyone the same gift as another family member?

3. EarthDog

Actually 1 and 2 are probably going over the limit of moving over state lines for personal use. Tax violations and all that.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's Grandma Clampett's rheumatism medicine

They airbrushed out the spliff as this was conservative 1960's America, so granny Clampett is missing the other part of her medicine. Highly toxic lab solvents are OK though.

8. Christoph
    Joke

They should have lit the stash when they saw they were being followed, so the cops would have been driving through the smoke cloud.

1. EarthDog

That's what the Freak Brothers would've done. Set up a smoke screen.

1. 's water music

That's what the Freak Brothers would've done

You are no doubt correct but shirley the PP was thinking of Cheech & Chong's Up in Smoke

9. Mark 85

Some States lock you up and toss away the key. Others, would check that you have your license to distribute (retail, wholesale, or grower) and have a nice day.

Disclaimer: I live in a "have a nice day" and "carry on" state.

10. Elmer Phud

Basic mistake

When carrying drive carefully -- but not too carefully.

11. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Big Brother

Pure coincidence?

"when they pulled over the pair's pickup truck for driving over the centre line and failing to indicate" - now how many time do you see the cops do this and not find drugs?

My guess is that they had emailed, texted or made a phone call to say that Santa was on his way.

1. 404

Re: Pure coincidence?

No. Colorado is right there and Nebraska knows it.

Disclaimer: Live in a 'Hey boy, what ya got there' and 'Put your hands on the wheel' state.

12. MachDiamond Silver badge

The smell

The report stated that the officers could smell the pot as they approached the car. Good grief, I wonder what other people thought as the truck was pulled up at a gas station. Somebody could have become interested and followed them to an area where it could have been taken off of them.

The incident just confirms that most people are incredibly stupid. While pot might be legal in a few states (not in California until 1/1), other states are still rather up tight about it. In Oklahoma they might have been looking at the death penalty for that much. Crossing state lines with taxed/regulated items poses other problems, but most people outside of trucking wouldn't realize that.

13. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Facepalm

Taxi!

Meanwhile over in Copenhagen, Drug dealer arrested after mistaking police car for taxi

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42471543

1. EarthDog

Re: Taxi!

And in other news, The Rocky Mountain Way.

https://www.denverpost.com/2017/12/19/couple-swap-4-pounds-marijuana-craigslist-sheriffs-suv/

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

$336,000?

Given that Nebraska is a neighbor of Colorado, and given that 2017 has seen particularly low prices, I can't believe that the market price in Nebraska is over $350/oz

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon