back to article Long Island Iced Tea Corp renamed itself to Long Blockchain – and its shares went bananas

This special edition of El Reg's Logowatch isn't strictly about logos, rather it's a rebrand, but since today is Friday and this news is – and this is a technical term here – batshit mad, we couldn't pass it up. Non-alcoholic beverage slinger Long Island Iced Tea Corp, which is publicly traded and wasn't performing …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The bubble & stupidity started long before Blockchain

"Aw, Snap. I bought the wrong shares! Shares in a little known US start-up have almost doubled in value, seemingly because traders thought they were buying into the firm behind Snapchat."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38915352

2. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Maybe El Reg should jump on this valuation

The Blockchain Virtual Reality Data Visualization Register? I'm just throwing that out there.

(Will the editors of this fine publication let me know if they are going to take my advice? I'd like to buy up a few shares before the re-branding goes public.)

1. trevorde Silver badge

Re: Maybe El Reg should jump on this valuation

The Blockchain Virtual Reality Data Visualization AI Enhanced Machine Learning Cloud Register

Have I missed anything out?

1. Semtex451

Only Climate Change and Stephen Fry.

2. Francis Boyle Silver badge

I'm thinking you missed DevOps but maybe that's too last year.

3. midcapwarrior

You forgot open source and or linux

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yes, you have missed out Storage and Flash!!!

The Vultures will be dissapointed, that's all El Reg a writes about these days, and still no-one talks about it..

3. Herby

Names change opinions of lots of people.

Just remember that MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) was once called NMR (nuclear magnetic resonance). The name was changed because of the bad vibes that anything with the name "nuclear" in it.

So now you know the rest of the story.

Yes, there was a company that changed its name from "Apple Computer" to "Apple, Inc.". If it changed to "Apple Blockchain" I might be a multimillionaire.

1. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

Re: Names change opinions of lots of people.

"Nomenclaturism" - which is an example of itself.

Feynman hinted at this with his childhood "inertia" story (link below).

Sometimes people will ask, "What are you doing?" But they'll often be satisfied with an answer to the question, "Does what you doing have a name, and thus indicate that it is somehow acceptable?"

For example, "What the hell are you doing?" The answer given, "We're 'Drifting' our cars around the roundabout." "Ah, 'Drifting'. Well then, I guess that's okay then... Carry on."

Nomenclaturism.

Feynman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjm8JeDKvdc

4. ratfox

TIL that ice tea companies can be listed on NASDAQ. Being a tech company is not a requirement, it's just common.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Obligatory Dilbert.

6. jake Silver badge

From softdrinks to high tech? Why not?

It worked for Mark Williams Company.

For a while, anyway.

1. Daedalus

Re: From softdrinks to high tech? Why not?

How about Lyons' Corner House? Jump started the UK computer business, they did.

7. TrumpSlurp the Troll
    WTF?

Non alchoholic?

Only drank LIIT once in the US and after thinking that it had an interesting flavour the rest of the evening is a blur.

The real stuff is dangerous!

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: Non alchoholic?

Real Long Island Iced Tea is an alcoholic drink, may be their sales would improve if they made the real stuff.

1. Stevie

Recipe:

Over Ice Pour

1 measure Vodka

1 measure Gin

1 measure White Rum

1 measure Tequilla

1 measure Triple Sec

Splash of cola for color

Couple of tablespoons of lemon juice or sour mix (doesn't really matter, ignore purists who say it does)

Top up with seltzer if cola too sweet for you

Slice of lemon

Drink quickly because it tastes like pop rather than hard licker.

Make second drink. Drink somewhat slower while making third drink.

Drink third drink. Fall down stairs. Go to sleep in stairwell.

1. handleoclast

Wow. That's complicated.

I simplified the recipe a little.

First, I kept the vodka in the freezer so I didn't have to add ice (which dilutes things and ruins the taste).

Second, I reduced the number of ingredients by not bothering with gin, rum, tequila, and triple sec.

Third, I avoided dilution by not bothering with cola or lemon juice.

Fourth, I did away with the fruit (I avoid anything the medical profession claims is healthy).

Which left me with cold vodka.

I retained the instructions to fall down stairs and sleep in the stairwell. After greatly simplifying the process the end result was the same.

1. Jonathan Schwatrz

Re: handleocast Re: Non alchoholic?

".....After greatly simplifying the process the end result was the same." My many years in the IT industry lead me to suspect you are a proud MBA "achiever".

2. Piro Silver badge

I don't usually expect my drinks to lick me, but OK

1. jake Silver badge

I'd suggest you're not drinking enough, Piro, but I really don't give a lick.

I'd ask how a French girl holds her liquer[0], but that may be both off topic and politically incorrect these days ... and this is not to be confused with Pot Likker, which is a whole nuther kettle o' greens entirely.

[0] Answers on a post card only, please.

8. Gene Cash Silver badge

I do have to confess that Long Island iced tea is my favorite beverage. It's hard to make a good one though.

1. Reue

Use lime instead of lemon. Tastes much better!

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. lglethal Silver badge
    WTF?

A non-alcoholic Long Island Ice Tea?

Isnt that an Oxymoron?

Also wouldnt that just be a coke with lemon?

11. Aaiieeee
    Stop

Oh dear

My office is rife with trading crypto, everyone is egging everyone else on and you can see the fear of missing out in peoples faces as they get talked into it. The best bit is they don't realise they are not buying actual currency but rather opening long positions with outrageous fees on a gambling platforms that looks like a trading application.

Somebody is going to start leveraging their stake and its going to get messy with it all goes wrong

12. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Introducing: The JeffyCoin™

Hey. I’ve just invented a new type of digital “coin” – the JeffyCoin™.

Instead of all this complicated crypto Blockchain gobbledegook, JeffyCoin™ just uses simple one-digit decimal integers, where each integer digit is assigned an initial value of $1.27million.

As the inventor, I'm retaining the four JeffyCoins™ designated “0”, “3”, “5”, and “7”. So I’m now a multi-millionaire (Yay!). But two of my JeffyCoins™ (“3” and “5”) are for sale. Offers?

Others with the requisite mathematical skills can attempt to work out the other digits, and once they determine any of them, then they may claim ownership of them. It’s like “Mining-Lite”. …go!

PS: Someone is spreading nasty rumours that I'm already intending to switch from decimal digits to hexadecimal digits, thereby adding additional JeffyCoins™ that might be designated 'A' to 'F', thus devaluating the entire JeffyCoin™ currency. This is categorically untrue. I will do no such thing, ...at least until well into the first week of 2018.

1. redpawn

Re: Introducing: The JeffyCoin™

Can I pay my taxes with fractional JeffyCoin™?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

After 72hrs on my 'Quantum Mining Computer Simulator' (Written in Python 3 running on my Pi 3 Model B) I have worked out 4 of the other digits. :)

I hereby claim the JeffyCoins designated 1, 2, 4 & 6.

I am too a multi-millionaire (Double Yay!)

Only one of my JeffyCoins is for sale as I don't want to flood the market :)

I did not realise that Blockchain was hiding something so simple and profitable ........ who knew !!!

We do need a 'JeffyCoin Bureau' (JCB) to administer the trading of this new Digital Currency but I hear that there is a small company that uses the JCB name ....... I wonder how many JeffyCoins I need to buy them out !!!???.

Might need to buy a few more Pi 3 Model B's to generate a few more JeffyCoins ..... should be worth it though !!!

1. JeffyPoooh
        Pint

AC suggested, "...need a 'JeffyCoin™ Bureau' (JCB) to administer.."

No. We use an online register instead.

In fact, [...wait for it...]

The Register is the register.

1. jake Silver badge

Probably a much better idea ... I suspect that JCB Co., Ltd. would complain about all y'all horning in on their territory.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Well, you live & learn !!!

I was thinking about the JCB of 'Large Yellow Earth moving fame' !!!

[<Cough> NO ... NOT that type of 'Earth moving' ...... Just to avoid any confusion :) ]

See https://www.jcb.com

A few more JeffyCoins™ are needed to cover both ..... not a problem :)

2. JeffyPoooh
        Pint

2018 JeffyCoin™ updates.

It's been suggested to search for the missing single-digit integers starting from the bottom. Those that have been searching downwards from Very Large Numbers™ (Graham, Ackermann, TREE(17), etc.) might wish to reboot and start again from the other end.

Also, as of 00:01 UTC on Friday, we will be switching from decimal to hexadecimal. Theory indicates that there may be approximately five or six additional JeffyCoins™ introduced, possibly seven.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

$15,000 ??

You post this story after one of the biggest crashes in bitcoin history, and manage to significantly overvalue it..

14. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

I've just rebranded myself too...

And I'm waiting for the money to flow...

15. Jonathan Schwatrz
    Facepalm

If only it weren't so tragic.

I had a number of discussions around virtual currencies this week with what can only be termed politely "the optimistic uninformed", all of whom insisted BTC/Etherium/Verge could be trusted to pay out "because of the blockchain". None of these virtual currency SMEs actually had a clue what a blockchain is or how it works. Fools and their money.

16. Daedalus

Kim's game

Will New Zealand now have to extradite Kim Blockchain?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like