back to article French gov files €10m complaint: Claims Amazon abused dominance

The French government is seeking to fine Amazon €10m (£8.8m) for using its market dominance to unfairly treat vendors. A complaint was filed today with the Paris Commerce Court, the French paper Le Parisien has reported. It quoted an unnamed official who said that filing the complaint was a "strong and unprecedented action". …

1. macjules

..filing the complaint was a "strong and unprecedented action"

Not so unprecedented when one considers that Bruno Le Maire has been planning this ever since Tallinn in September, followed up by his meeting with Denis Kolberg in Berlin on Sept 24th. Also this wouldn't by chance be a deflection by La Maire with regards to French protectionist blocking on Fincantieri SpA’s bid for French shipyard STX last month, would it? By the way, that clearly breaches a very large number of EU regulations.

I think that we should be told.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: ..filing the complaint was a "strong and unprecedented action"

that clearly breaches a very large number of EU regulations

So what? The French have always regarded EU rules as something that only applies to other countries.

On the one hand, their parochiality is demonstrated by a €10m fine - what is that to Amazon? On the other, this action isn't about Amazon's treatment of suppliers, it will be some frog machinations to protect an established big business interest, such as Carrefour.

1. Wilseus

"The French have always regarded EU rules as something that only applies to other countries"

I've often heard this, but is it really true? And if it is, why the hell didn't our government do the same occasionally? It might have changed the referendum result or even avoided it altogether (although as a eurosceptic, and notwithstanding my reluctant remain vote, I'm not going to be particularly sorry to see the back of it.)

1. Hans 1

I've often heard this, but is it really true?

Of course it has no basis I can think of. Yes, you have issues, sometimes, where they take years to implement directives they do not fancy much ... at some point, the fines imposed by Brussels rectify things pretty quickly, once it gets that far ... and I can only think of 5 instances, from the top of my head, over the past decades.

Basically, once more, baseless British eurosceptic propaganda ... always easy to blame the others ... and anti-French sentiment is quite rife as of late, so it seems ? Jealous, maybe, of the privileged relationship France has with Germany ? No, maybe because the French are very happy to fleece our economy on the way out! So sorry to see us leave [not], note, I am staying in the EU, I am, do what you will!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It seems...

that certain companies will do just about anything including illegal actions to get to their plan for world domination.

In amazon's case, they want to be the ONLY retailer left standing. Their predatory pricing is driving other stores to the wall. In a few years, it will be just WallMart and Amazon slugging it out for supremacy and domination. Not that they have moved into TV, move over Sky and Netflix, you ain't seen nothing yet. Spotify, Apple Music will soon feel their onslaught.

Avoiding paying Taxes, paying people below the legal minimum, illegal contracts with suppliers, etc etc etc.

is all part of their grand plan or that's how it seems from here.

There is little we can do to avoid their march on the retail world.

Amazon will become the 'company store' of the mid 21st century.

1. //DLBL SYSRES

Re: It seems...

Speaking from personal experience, their treatment of companies using their services is dire. It’s expensive and painful but great for the consumer. The on costs and commissions charged are extortionate.

We have introduced product that wasn’t on their site that once it proved to be be a good seller, Amazon started selling the same thing, bypassing us. Unethical gits.

1. fishman

Re: It seems...

"We have introduced product that wasn’t on their site that once it proved to be be a good seller, Amazon started selling the same thing, bypassing us. Unethical gits."

I don't quite understand. You introduced a product - did you make it, or were you reselling it? And did Amazon start selling a knock off, or did they get it from the same supplier that you did? And was it Amazon, or a seller under the Amazon Marketplace?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"or the fact that the responsibility for shipping guarantees lies with the vendors themselves, leaving vendors to pay for damaged or missing packages"

If the vendors ship directly, how is that not their responsibility?!

4. ratfox
    Meh

€10M is unlikely to impress Amazon. Should be a a couple of hours of revenue...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think they should also look at the way Amazon contract treat eBook sellers

... requiring them to give away their books for Free at the Whim of an Amazon special promotion.

... and if they don't agree to these terms then they can't sell through Amazon.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like