back to article 'Subdued' year for poor old Capita means more 'restructuring' needed

Outsourcing giant Capita is broadening its "restructuring" programme (AKA offshoring and automating more jobs), while reporting that 2017 has been a "subdued" year for the biz in a trading update today. This time last year, Capita told staff before Christmas it planned to axe 2,250 roles, including sending more jobs to India …

1. Hans 1

I think they need to get rid of 4 to 5 layers of management, the blokes are incompetent anyway .... with the saved cash, hire some top notch field staff ... you cannot win the Champions League with a team of n00bs managed by a bunch of numpties who themselves are managed by an even more incompetent bunch of numpties and so on ...

1. AMBxx Silver badge
      Thumb Up

If Man City sacked their entire first team and replaced it with a team from the local primary school, their profits would shoot up.

For a bit.....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

What about Man United? that's a team of expensive players managed by a donkey.

1. DavCrav

"What about Man United? that's a team of expensive players managed by a donkey."

You misspelled 'twat'.

1. AMBxx Silver badge
            Unhappy

I'm an Everton fan, so no idea why I'm getting involved in a discussion about football.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

> managed by a bunch of numpties who themselves are managed by an even more incompetent bunch of numpties and so on ...

So what you're saying is not so much turtles all the way down, more turnips all the way up?

3. PeterM42
      Trollface

Classic definition of management in far too many companies today

"...managed by a bunch of numpties who themselves are managed by an even more incompetent bunch of numpties and so on ..."

BRILLIANT! - And SOOOO true.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

Predictable

Capita : Racing to the bottom at near relativistic speed. Give my regards to the Earth's core.....

3. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Cost cutting has improved the performance of its IT Services

In financial terms, maybe. In terms of Crapita's IT services delivering software that works as it's supposed to without being several times over budget, I'm doubtful.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Re: Cost cutting has improved the performance of its IT Services

Damn it! You got there before me...

4. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Facepalm

It's what we expect...

... from a bloated nationalised industry living off state hand-outs.

Oh, wait...

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Re: It's what we expect...

Most of that is right. Only the "nationalised" bit is out of place.

5. FozzyBear
    Terminator

Automate jobs

My suggestion would be automate the work (damn it was hard typing that 4 letter word) of the senior managers. There does not seem to be much to the job other than checking if you are getting your bonus. If not cut staff until you get a bonus, repeat daily. In fact with just a few lines of code, you could replace senior managers from C(r)apita, IBM, HPE. Save those companies millions.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Re: Automate jobs

Some years ago we had a management consultant paid to work with us. Nice chap, interesting chats. But can't say he added anything useful. One of his contentions was that you didn't need to know anything about the work of the organisation to be a manager. Which ties in with my comment about Crapita, in effect that the role of top management has become to make front line staff accountable for anything that goes wrong. Which then protects the board so that they can stand in front of shareholders/regulators/Parliament/etc. and say that the problems weren't their fault and that now they've been resolved by ditching the staff ( which includes useful line managers who do know the job but were not allowed by the big bosses to prevent the faults ) "responsible".

It's not a new thing. It seems to have started a generation ago when my dad was one of those frontline managers, in the rag trade. Top bosses would make an unsustainable decision, then when it went pear shaped would shaft a sequence of line managers. Until there was no one left to fire, and the company folded.

1. cantankerous swineherd

Re: Automate jobs

the kids with MBAs have confused management with administration. one is routine grunt work, the other requires skill, knowledge and judgement.

6. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

administration <> management.

Quite true.

Administration.

Ensuring today's tasks are carried out efficiently with maybe incremental improvements.

Management.

Deciding what tomorrows tasks will be and building the systems to carry them out, possibly eliminating today's tasks altogether.

I'm sure there are many adequate administrators, but few effective managers.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Re: administration <> management.

I've had top brass who say that you can't be leader unless you are an administrator. Not good for those of us who get bored with admin but can get the job done and the work developed etc

7. unwarranted triumphalism

They still haven't sent round one of their bomber-jacketed thugs to ask why I don't watch TV, despite sending several threatograms. Maybe there are none of them left.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like