back to article OK, OK, MIRA-I DID IT: Botnet-building compsci kid comes clean

A former New Jersey college student has copped to helping create and run the massive Mirai DDoS botnet. Paras Jha, 21, pleaded guilty this month in an Alaska district court to two counts [PDF, PDF] of conspiracy to commit "fraud and related activity in connection with computers." In plea deals with US prosecutors, unsealed …

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Mushroom

Not even Putler?

So russian text strings in the Mirai code were nothing. “The Jester” (either another of those insufferable self-promoting "hats", of which color I dunno, or else a CIA op) had become all moist about that.

But Brian Krebs did good: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/01/who-is-anna-senpai-the-mirai-worm-author/

"Creating a company", eh? "Studying computer science", really? The correct action against such people is to send Serbian Muscle have a look-see and send the skilled haxxors nicely folded and ironed back to their mom's basement.

The worst thing is these guys will probably get hired after Club Fed because they are an "IT genius" in some PHB's deluded braincell.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

'So russian text strings in the code were nothing'

Probably why we shouldn't rush to follow FBI / US interests who quickly blame N Korea or others for the Sony / Equifux hacks etc.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: 'So russian text strings in the code were nothing'

Probably why we shouldn't rush to follow FBI / US interests who quickly blame N Korea or others for the Sony / Equifux hacks etc.

Truth and facts should never get in the way of a good pieces of propaganda.

2. Valeyard

Re: Not even Putler?

The worst thing is these guys will probably get hired after Club Fed because they are an "IT genius" in some PHB's deluded braincell.

the american security clearance review/appeal documents for real individuals are publicly available, and from those I can safely assume that these guys will never in their lives get a job in IT security for any US gov agency. They don't care how good you are; if you're not completely 100% trustworthy you're out the door, especially in these post-snowden days

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Quite a lot of agency work involves no morals, breaking the law ....

Which is worse DDOS & click fraud or running huge paedo imagery websites for ages after uncovering them (with some feeble honeytrap arguments to justify it)

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
          Meh

"Which is worse DDOS & click fraud or running huge paedo imagery websites for ages after uncovering them"

yeah, the grey areas of law enforcement. I'd like to look the other way, if the 'honeytrap' actually works. Otherwise maybe the high-up that authorized it needs a permanent vacation...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I can safely assume that these guys will never in their lives get a job in IT security for any US gov agency. They don't care how good you are; if you're not completely 100% trustworthy you're out the door

Meanwhile, I hear that US gov agency isn't 100% trustworthy. /Irony

3. imanidiot Silver badge

The best these guys can hope for after coming out of jail is a job flipping burgers or collecting trash. Most PHB's don't even get to see the application of people that have to tick the "have you ever been convicted for a felony offence?" box. They get filtered out and "floor archived" by HR departments.

4. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Glad to see someone mentioned Krebs' piece. That was a good bit of investigation on his part, and I'd been waiting to see whether it would be confirmed.

2. Clive Galway

Wired article

There is a very interesting article about this on the Wired Site, suggesting that initially Mirai was a tool for DDoSing MineCraft servers.

1. Tim Seventh

Re: Wired article

It feels like cloudflare might hire them at one point. Their interest in computers, internet, DDoS, and DDoS migration feels like the type that will be useful to cloudflare.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like