back to article 'Suspicious' BGP event routed big traffic sites through Russia

A Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) routing incident saw a bunch of high-profile Internet destinations mis-routed through Russia on Tuesday, US time. In what BGPMon called a “suspicious” event, “Starting at 04:43 (UTC) 80 prefixes normally announced by organisations such Google, Apple, Facebook, Microsoft, Twitch, NTT …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BGPMon doesn't name its suspicions, but recommends that major ISPs filter their customers to avoid such events.

Bingo. The list is "whom you should not buy from" - people who do not know what they are doing.

It was sort-a excusable to not compute filters out of routing registry info and apply them 15 years ago because of router config space limitations. However, in this day and age?

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

It's been a while since I was on the sharp-end of BGP, but there are/were some issues with that. It wasn't so much a router limitation given the route filters would be generated off the router. Not sure if Cisco/Juniper include tools to try and do that automagically now though. But the biggest challenge is assuming there's a reliable route object registered to build filters from. In RIPE-land, or anyone but ARIN, that was vaguely doable. In ARIN-space, often route objects didn't exist, especially for retail users. They often had no idea what a route object was, or how to go about creating one.

But for route filtering to work, it really needs to be applied at the upstream, so-

aut-num: AS39523

as-name: DV-LINK-AS

org: ORG-VII2-RIPE

sponsoring-org: ORG-ATS13-RIPE

Megafon

import: from AS31133 accept ANY

export: to AS31133 announce AS39523

Vimpelcom

import: from AS3216 accept ANY

export: to AS3216 announce AS39523

So Megafon's one of DV-LINK's upstreams/transit provider, and has a corresponding entry in it's AS object rather than a more specific to only accept DV-LINK's assigned address space. That's the first line of defence against advertising bogus routes from your downstreams. The report doesn't mention the specific routes that were advertised, but if those don't have route objects defined, auto-rule building wouldn't work.

DV-LINK looks like a Russian ISP though, so this may just have been some fat-fingering rather than anything malicious.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe someone was after Trumps twitter password?

1. Steve Todd

What on Earth for?

He’s doing enough damage to the US all by himself.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: What on Earth for?

maybe they are trying to do damage limitation?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> He’s doing enough damage to the US all by himself.

That's unfair. I think he's doing a great job.

So great I want to buy him a nice Christmas present and send it to the Whitehouse.

A jumper would be nice.

In fact, I think we should all buy Donald a nice jumper.

(One that wouldn't mess his hair up when he took it off.)

#TurtlenecksForTrump

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Nah, send him gloves - size XS.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Trumps password

Don't be silly, any idiot must realise his password is GoldLovingPillock surely?

1. macjules

Re: Trumps password

Username: me@donaldjtrump.com

Password: covfefe

3. Flywheel

I think it's "MAGA" (without the quotes)

4. G.Y.

Mr. P has already got it

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Coat

Warning.

Dobby at work.

4. frank ly

Long term view

Is there any kind of historical 'misrouting analysis' which gives a list of these types of events and the locations that data was misrouted through? It would be interesting to see the misrouting events organised by country of 'wrongful route'. e.g. How many misroutings went through the USA or UK?

1. heyrick Silver badge

How many misroutings went through the USA or UK?

Maybe tin foil hat time, but a connection from France to the UK went pretty damn slowly on the day of 9/11, while France to Germany was fine. Unfortunately it was a kiosk box so I couldn't run a traceroute to see if the traffic was going via Langley...

1. createahandletheysay

Re: How many misroutings went through the USA or UK?

We did, and yes they were.

1. Blotto Silver badge

You actually saw Langley ip’s in your traceroute?

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

That would be too easy ... if Langley was doing it professionally you'd never know it, come to think of it you'd probably see a Russian IP address instead of Langley's...

2. createahandletheysay

My bad, GCHQ not langley.

2. Muscleguy

More likely GCHQ from what we know about their taps on the cables.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Terminator

> I couldn't run a traceroute to see if the traffic was going via Langley

As if you'd have any way of noticing that traffic was being intercepted.

Traceroute? Seriously?

Traceroute would sorta work for fat-finger issues. So tracing to one of the IP addresses that was wrongly advertised might show it resolving some unexpected hops along the way to it's new blackhole. Because traffic ends up routed to something that can't respond.

Unless of course you're paranoid, in which case traffic was briefly directed to faked websites, and evilness occurred. Because Russia, obviously. It's much like the good'ol Internet hijack when Florida stole EVERYTHING!. Possibly due to some previously unknown NSA site there. Ah, AS7007, I still remember you..

Or it was just another in a long list of routing errors that propogated due to BGP making that easy. As for sources of Internet mysteries, try Team Cymru (who aren't in Wales), CAIDA, or even NANOG-

https://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/

1. Anonymous Coward
            Terminator

> Because traffic ends up routed to something that can't respond.

Traffic interception doesn't require re-routing. Maybe it did in the 90's - and even that is doubtful too - but not today. That's the whole point of traffic interception.

Even today, traceroute will show hops that won't respond. That's normal, and it doesn't mean these hops are NSA's or GCHQ's. Quite the opposite: if they show up in traceroute, then they are definitely not NSA or GCHQ. Which makes using traceroute for detecting packet interception completely useless.

If a traceroute shows a hop, then by definition it's responded. If you're tracing to www.nsa.gov and it shows hops via .ru, then something's.. not quite right. Which is also the problem with this story, ie if it were some state-level interference, it wouldn't have been so obvious. Which is where the story drifts into conspiracy theory land. Plus anyone who's ever applied for a telecomms licence in Russia would know the conditions applied. I suspect this was the usual BGP error, with a slim chance of it being malicious. By 'cant respond', I meant a web/login server created to spoof the official versions and try to capture logins.. Assuming traffic ever managed to get beyond the edge router.

Problem with the modern Internet is more topology information gets hidden behind MPLS, which doesn't respond to ICMP. But you may be able to infer some topology changes just by looking at the latency. Which is why it's common to use it to poll for reachability or link/routing problems.

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

I assume he means a 'missing' hop, when there is a gap in the TTLs of the results you receive. The routers that don't respond then generally is displayed in the traceroute, as a 'hop', using just 3 stars - one for each icmp timeout.

5. eldakka
    Coat

Google, Facebook and Microsoft routed through PutinGrad, for no good reason.
    I doubt Russia would agree with that sentiment ;)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

three minutes to fill all their hard disks . . ,

then another backup!

7. NonSSL-Login
    Black Helicopters

Three minutes...

It would be so awesome if it comes out that a Russian spy reported that President Trump was on the way to the toilet with his phone, so Russia hijacked those routes for the next 3 minutes in the hope of catching something. Please let it be true!

1. elDog

The audio of a a bunch of wet farts?

Maybe there's code in those turdy blaps but I'll leave it up to the fine folks in 5-eyes/Israel to dig around for it.

2. PNGuinn
      Coat

Re: Three minutes...

I thought they needed a special tank behind a special john in a special facility to capture that sort of thing.

Oh, and hopefully rubber gloves to do the actual packet capture.

>> thanks, it's the perfumed one on the end with the used rubber gloves sticking out of the pockets.

8. MrBanana

So what did they get?

For the period of the misrouting "event", I assume they were able to do a mahoosive wireshark type capture of all network packets that got routed through their networks. That's a lot of data to sift through, what could they find? The good stuff will be encrypted, no?

9. Dazed and Confused
    Joke

This just seems to show

That Russia is years behind China. This very organ reported years back about the Chinese using BGP to re-route lots of traffic so they could take a good look at it.

Come on Russia, pay attention.

10. Nick Kew

Cockup or conspiracy?

Move along. Nothing to see.

Though if it were a conspiracy, the followup question has to be, what was it a cover for? What happened while the likes of El Reg were distracted by gawping at traffic through Russia?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like