back to article NSW TAFE's IT FAIL was so bad, 100 staff were hired to clean up

New South Wales TAFE's failed IT project will be a millstone around the organisation's neck for years, the state's Auditor-General warned yesterday. Terminated last year, the Learning and Management and Business Reform (LMBR) project has nonetheless managed to reach out of the grave and grab the dollars. The Auditor-General's …

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

No wonder then...

... why the NSW government refuses to pay royalties to writers and artists whose work they use.

2. Denarius
    FAIL

peculiar

they keep cutting courses or outsourcing them to reduce costs the government but have money for another big bang stuffup. Needless to say the student cost rocket as with all outsourcing.

3. FozzyBear
    Pirate

I look forward to reading about the massive failure of the Oracle Replacement System

4. Diogenes

The schools version 'works' ...

... with much gnashing of teeth by the staff using it.

Then again I also worked on a 3 way departmental contract, ie the department was the 'customer', but the old Board of Secondary School Studies was the 'client' - never again. My PM had a heart attack during development, as did the Department's PM, I was 2IC - it was not fun & I learned never ever to do a project like that again.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

".. and in nine years, was only able to bring it to pilot by 2015."

The problem (at least in part) was that they crashed on ahead and brought it to production after a very short pilot prior to that. Data conversion from the old system failed dismally and that should have been a red flag but instead they simply rescheduled the cutover to the following weekend.

Feedback from staff (that it was a an absolute crock) was totally ignored, both in the trial and after the cutover.

One can only imagine that some people at the top were determined to complete the project at whatever cost then move on to better jobs elsewhere without having to deal with the consequences. A very familiar scenario to anyone that's been in IT for any time.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like