back to article Juno's July fly-by gave NASA a close-up of the Great Red Spot

It's at least 150 years old, one-and-a-half Earths wide, reaches 300 km (around 200 miles) into Jupiter's atmosphere – and now, thanks to data from the Juno probe, NASA's offering the chance to take a virtual dive into the famous Great Red Spot. When it made its first pass over the vast super-storm in July 2017, one of the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

“energetic hydrogen, oxygen and sulfur ions moving at almost light speed”

A value in electronvolts would have been nice.

1. Sane

Agreed. And way of converting that value to Vulture-ese would have been even nicer.

Mine's the one with the adult badger scales in the pocket.

2. harmjschoonhoven

JUNO,

thanks for the images. BTW there is no muzak in space, even boffins should know that.

1. Pen-y-gors

Re: JUNO,

It's there, you just can't hear it. It's called 'the music of the spheres'.

2. Muscleguy

Surely once you are in the atmosphere of Jupiter then sound can be transmitted and heard?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. gypsythief
      Headmaster

Re: there is no muzak in space

Muzak!! Muzak!?!?!

That was Vangelis, you heathen!

Report at once to your nearest Electric Sheep re-education centre!

4. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"In space, no one can hear you cha-cha-cha!"

3. Asylum Sam

But ...

Did they spot any Dwellers?

1. Muscleguy

Re: But ...

If you recall the Dwellers consider Jupiter to be a desert planet not worth inhabiting.

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

500 K at 350km below the surface

Seems curious that such activity is not happening all over the gas giant's surface. Given that Jupiter has no solid surface, it should be a continuous supervolcano in all directions. But no, apparently it is only happening at one location. I wonder how the boffins are going to be able to explain that.

1. Muscleguy

Re: 500 K at 350km below the surface

No KNOWN solid surface. There might be one down there at huge pressure. We have ice volcanoes, a moon with a thick atmosphere, mountains, rivers, lakes and rain, a giant volcano which touches space and a planet that rolls around an axis on the plane of the ecliptic. Some sort of volcano inside Jupiter cannot be ruled out.

Note at the pressures at depth most metals will be sold. Earth has an iron core so Jupiter could have one too. I'm sure a hot iron volcano would do the job.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Boffin

"Earth has an iron core so Jupiter could have one too"

Well, Jupiter's magnetic field suggests SOMETHING like that. But I think it may be an ice core, since Jupiter is like a 'failed star' in a lot of ways. If it had been a real star, it probably would've gone 'bang' and shed most things that weren't hydrogen, early on. Instead, it has a lot of hydrocarbons, and probably oxygen as well, though it would've combined with the hydrogen like it did with the carbon, and now you'd have water at the core [as ice or super-compressed liquid].

At least, that's how _I_ see it. Being "that deep" it probably wouldn't show up on a spectrometer, either, just like we only recently found out about the 500k temperatures at the bottom of the red spot.

also Jupiter emits RF radiation, and has a very powerful magnetic field. So there's _something_ going on down there... and an 'ice' (or super-compressed liquid water, more accurately) core that rotates differently from the rapidly spinning planet COULD create one, as water is slightly polarized, and related to hydrogen bonding and all of that. Otherwise you need molten iron and/or nickel, which is considerably hotter.

(one more thing, with 'that many' moons, Jupiter has a LOT of tidal forces on whatever might be down there, particularly a solid+liquid ice core, and that could be 'an energy source', maybe even enough for the 500K temperature under 'the spot')

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

500K? yeah, that's kinda surprising. what's the energy source for that kind of heat?

it also legitimizes the possibility of liquid water and/or some kind of life in the vicinity of "the spot", like bacteria that live near (but not in) underwater volcanos...

5. Jtom

A heat driven storm? As opposed to a cold driven storm? All storms are heat driven (i.e., energy).

6. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Deploy the monoliths.

7. swm
    Thumb Up

JPL is Amazing

I am always amazed at the accomplishments of JPL. I recall their comment about one of the first probes to reach Jupiter. They said that the computer was running slowly because the unexpected intensity of the radiation was flipping bits in the active registers which slowed down the computer. Mind you, it still worked as intended - just slower. Try flipping bits randomly in your chosen computer and see what happens.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like