back to article AI researcher pulls best Blue Steel in Yves Saint Laurent fragrance ad

An AI researcher has taken time out of his busy schedule to appear in an ad for Yves Saint Laurent's scent for men called Y. Alexandre Robicquet appears in a video for the fragrance, which opens with him riding to his office on a motorbike. Of course. He then fiddles with his pen, while moodily gazing at a bit of code with …

1. sorry, what?
    Coffee/keyboard

Y...

Did I even read this article?

1. sabroni Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Y...

It's Friday. You're killing time before (more) beer!

1. Korev Silver badge
        Joke

Surely a Magnum of champagne would be more appropriate

2. Montreal Sean

I read the article hoping against hope that they would say the robot from Short Circuit walked the runway...

Oh well.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

AI has become a tad overhyped?

That's a bit of an understatement, isn't it.

1. Chris G

allthecoolnames, damn I was going to say that.

3. John H Woods Silver badge

Now that's a good looking bloke ...

... but, according to the news today, women are happier with less attractive men and according to Mrs Woods, she is absolutely ecstatic.

1. Rajiv_Chaudri

Re: Now that's a good looking bloke ...

"according to the news today, women are happier with less attractive men"

Since when has it ever been about the attractiveness of a man?

A 350 pound AI researcher making $300k will find himself plenty of "happy" women.

1. Hollerithevo

Mr Chaudri, with that attitude to women, no wonder you must have to think this way.

Also, do you know and 350 pound AI researcher making $300k? If so, is he surrounded by vamps only into him for the money?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Mr Chaudri, with that attitude to women, no wonder you must have to think this way.

That attitude applies from somewhere around 30M, not 300K. Once you get into that bracket you can definitely consider this:

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/features/are-you-in-a-mixed-attractiveness-relationship-20171113139015

or this:

https://despair.com/products/love

Gold-diggers are a fact of life. So is the fact that they are predominantly female. It is simply a consequence from the fact that most money is with ugly, prostate case males above 50. Just look at Trump's cabinet's and their wives for an example.

However, in order to get into that category you should be looking at M per year, not 300K. At 300K$ an ugly fat AI researcher will find a matching ugly fat AI researcher. That is also a fact of life.

4. Peter X

Hang on... so, you're saying that working in IT is cool now? So cool that "sexy" brands actively try to identify with jobs in IT?!!

Seriously, this is a total game-changer. Can I finally apply for a job at Reynholm Industries?

Also, is this the harbinger of an approaching apocalypse?

1. Wensleydale Cheese
      WTF?

"Seriously, this is a total game-changer. Can I finally apply for a job at Reynholm Industries?"

Bloody hell.

Number one in the list of "Perks":

Unisex Toilets (12th Floor Toilets voted #1 in National Toilet Cleaning Finals)

FWIW, here's the rest of the "Perks"

* Staff Training/Coaching Sessions

* Vending Machines

* Regular Social & Team-Building Events

* Team Atmosphere

* Full Kitchen Facilities

* Spectacular Views from all Office Windows

Nowt special, but the BOFH will approve of the height of the Office Windows.

1. Morten_T
        Joke

I'm sure the Regular Social & Team-Building Events will come shortly after the BOFH has "upgraded" the vending machines :D

5. jake Silver badge

Yet another ...

... self absorbed twat who insists on stinking up the planet with his perfume.

Pardon me for not being impressed.

1. m0rt

Re: Yet another ...

And you would say the same if he just farted?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Probably not, since that's an entirely different signal.

2. jake Silver badge

Nah. Farts are a normal part of digestion. Nowt wrong with farting.

Perfume, on the other hand, is olfactory pollution intentionally inflicted upon the rest of us by the idiot affecting an almost inconceivably blind vanity. In other words: It fucking reeks! There is no place for perfume in modern society. We have this new-fangled thing called "showering". Avail yourself of it.

2. Hollerithevo

@Jake, really? I am not into men's perfume or colognes, as I think a man should smell of soap and cleanliness, but Chanel No. 5 on a woman (not too much, just enough) is head-swimming. She has to be over 35 -- it is not a girl's perfume. Mmmmmmm......

1. jake Silver badge

Hollerithevo, really. Call me old-fashioned, but I very much like my wife to smell like my wife, not the way the marketing wing of a multi-billion-dollar-per-year couturière who has never met us thinks she ought to smell. When you think about it, it'd be kind of silly to marry, and then ask your spouse to stand downwind of you for the rest of your lives!

The perfume contained in most soaps smells 'orrible. IMO, of course.

Little girl's perfume is silly, just like most little girls. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Adults, on the other hand, should know better. (That's not a sexist comment (little boys are silly too, just in a different way), but I'm absolutely certain somebody will try to portray it as such. Have fun, I won't bite.)

On the gripping hand, if we all liked the same exact set of "stuff" the world would be an excruciatingly boring place when you think about it. Vive La Différence!

1. Natalie Gritpants

I'm with you, You're wife smells great

6. anothercynic Silver badge

Awwwww...

... Some sour faces on here... Why? Because you're not really, really, ridiculously good looking? Would you have preferred some Magnum instead? Or Le Tigre perhaps?

I wouldn't kick him out of bed, you know... *smirks* *walks off*

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Awwwww...

Sorry, anothercynic. The die-hard narcissistic don't float your way. Or anybody else's way, for that matter.

7. ThatOne Silver badge
    Flame

Another perfume hater here; It acts on my over-sensitive nose like pepper spray, especially indoors and at the industrial quantities most people use it.

Wearing perfume is the best means to make sure I won't come anywhere near you, even if you're drop-dead gorgeous and the last woman on earth.

/rant

1. Cederic Silver badge

re: perfume hater

I find it contextual.

When dancing, women tell me I smell nice - because of the careful combination of showering and a light fragrance.

In bed, it stops me breathing properly so one of us is leaving the bed, fast.

So it's useful upfront then needs discarding for business. As it were.

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Another perfume hater here

Likewise. Mild perfumes - not a problem (much like onions - I hate the taste of them as a main flavour but like the background note that they add when used in small quantities.).

Full-on, in-your-face perfumes? That's when the remnants of childhood asthma rears its ugly head and my airways close alarmingly. In one of my previous workplaces, I used to provide IT to an HR office. I made every attempt to not go into the main office before about lunchtime as the volatiles would mostly have worn off before then.

8. StuntMisanthrope

Le Stereotype Impossible

It's the ladies. At school it was Chun Li and joysticks. A-Levels was science, so no go. At Uni, I wore a dress in class as hadn't started shaving and it made the other lads feel better. Now it's happening in France. I'm not saying I'm upset, just a little bit miffed. Should have practiced something else....#stillworsethanFB

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like