back to article Florida Man… pockets Uber cash to keep quiet about data breach

A 20-year-old Florida man who lives with his mom was the "security researcher" that Uber paid off last year not to reveal a massive hack of its systems. In a typically Uber take on network security, the ride-hailing app company paid the man $100,000 in October last year to destroy data he downloaded on 57 million users, …

1. beep54
    Unhappy

With any luck, this will kill off Uber. But we haven't been having much luck lately, have we?

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge

It looks very much as though the new CEO is trying to reform the company and come clean with discoveries of malfeasance as they come to light. Under those circumstances, wouldn't it be better to have a reformed company than a bunch of people out of work?

1. Warm Braw

Better ... than a bunch of people out of work?

I'm afraid that argument is wearing a bit thin, having been used in the context of asbestos and cigarette manufacturing, coal mining, arms deals, ...

And in this case, we as consumers of hi-tech goods and services have been overpaying consistenly so that the providers of those goods and services could subsequently use the excess profits to subsidise the operation of a wholly dysfunctional and unsustainable taxi company that destroyed jobs at sustainable and established taxi companies.

It's a struggle to see a moral imperative in there...

1. Bernard M. Orwell

Re: Better ... than a bunch of people out of work?

Find me a corporation without scandals, criminal activity or malfeasance in the closet...

2. Mongrel

In my eyes the onus is on them to them to prove they've changed not on me to assume that the new guy is telling the truth "this time".

I reckon if they can go 12-18 months without any new scandals (including covering up old scandals) or "WTF have they done now" reporting then we can start saying that they've turned over a new leaf

3. Velv

"wouldn't it be better to have a reformed company than a bunch of people out of work?"

Isn't one of their major claims that nobody works for Uber?

2. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
    Flame

My favorite quote

"So, if you mention extortion again, I'll have your legs broken." - Travis Kalanick (CEO Uber) Mayor Carmine DePasto (Animal House, 1978)

3. J. Cook Silver badge
    Joke

I'm willing to bet there's a cabinet over at Uber HQ that's being rapidly emptied of Pepto-bismol. (Or other antacid products)

1. Velv
  4. Peter Gordon

What a shit show. But fair play to Khosrowshahi for coming clean.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

But fair play to Khosrowshahi for coming clean.

Hardly. He was brought in specifically to clean out the Augean Stables that are Uber's headquarters, and he will be on a typical US tech CEO megabuck contract. If he doesn't make demonstrable progress the investors who allowed his appointment would have him fired.

What concerns me is that there seem to be no limits to the rankness of Uber, and potentially all we're seeing is the easy to fix stuff, and the things a lot of people already know are wrong. Whilst firing the guilty is desirable, it guarantees nobody guilty will step forward of their own accord. If individuals or small cabals are associated with particular malfeasance, and nobody outside knows, then the dirt remains. Imagine a scenario where a large part of Uber's code actually belonged to somebody else - if that was known only in the heads of a senior manager and a couple of coders, they won't admit now, and the problem just sits there like a UXB. Doesn't even have to be an IP or tech issue - imagine the wrongs that Uber's HR people have connived to, or hushed up, or the sticky dirt the finance people have on their hands.

1. Michael Thibault

"He was brought in specifically to clean out the Augean Stables that are Uber's headquarters, and he will be on a typical US tech CEO megabuck contract."

Easy money. I'd like that job, not least because it would be a short stint.

2. Missing Semicolon Silver badge
        FAIL

Werner Von Braun again

So, New Uber (the cleaned-up, de-toxified version) gets to keep it's massive market power, which it was only possible to build by being old-evil-lyin'-cheatin'-Uber?

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

to have his machine undergo forensic analysis to ensure that the data has been fully deleted.

"And do you have a backup?"

"What's a backup?"

"Good enough."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like