back to article Microsoft adds nothing to new Semi-Annual Windows Server preview

Microsoft's released something odd: a new tech preview of Windows Server's semi-annual release channel with no new features but a few known issues with the potential to mess things up. The first-listed known issue warns that “Dynamic disks fail I/O with STATUS_INVALID_DEVICE_REQUEST, resulting in failures to mount or format a …

1. deadlockvictim

Knowing Microsoft

Knowing Microsoft, this semi-annual preview will produce the most efficient running software they've ever produced.

1. TheVogon

Re: Knowing Microsoft

It's a tech Preview. It's not meant to be production ready.

2. jmch Silver badge
      Trollface

There are no new features to add because it is perfect

1. Tim Seventh
        Trollface

They are features! not bugs!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lets face it if you have a windows server facing the internet and not behind a dedicated firewall then you don't just laugh in the face of danger, you are the danger. (Walter White)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Lets face it if you have a windows server facing the internet and not behind a dedicated firewall"

It's a much lower risk than say a Linux server though. You are about 5 times more likely to be hacked than on Windows Server in an Internet facing scenario.

1. Christian Berger

"You are about 5 times more likely to be hacked than on Windows Server in an Internet facing scenario."

Yeah, those are the usual comparasions between a Linux box running crappy PHP software (like Wordpress) and a Windows box serving static webpages.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yeah, those are the usual comparisons between a Linux box running crappy OSS software and a Windows Server.

TFTFY!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Do you have any verified stats to back up your prodigious claim?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Do you have any verified stats to back up your prodigious claim?"

Yes, but not ones I can publish. However, Zone-H.org do. They are from ~ 2010 but the gap has only got larger since then - as Windows Server security has been significantly improved.

For pretty much anything on that is internet facing - especially when used as a "default" configuration, and especially as a web server - Window Server is (at least over the last decade or so) at way lower risk of being successfully attacked than Linux.

3. Andy The Hat Silver badge

Perhaps this is a new development procedure? Instead of releasing new code then having the annoying prospect of users finding bugs, we now have the 'new development methodology' of introducing bugs to existing code to see who can put up with them for the longest ...

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"introducing bugs to existing code to see who can put up with them for the longest"

You wrote that as if it was something new.

1. VinceH

Close enough. Microsoft are simply trying to see just how much crap they can get away with. At some point there will be a Win10 update that does nothing but add bugs.

(Or has that already happened? I can't be sure.)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Already Past Beta?

"The firewall might not work. It can corrupt data."

So Microsoft's production quality then.

5. HmmmYes

Good. Theyve stopped adding crap to the procuct.

Now they need to start fixing the stuff theyve broken.

Im totally fucked off with MS. They bring out new stuff and break old stuff. Nothing major, just nigly fuck ups that make me wonder is they are on top of their testing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No...

After a few MS MBA's gathered to identify the companies "core competencies" they realised that they were pretty good at making bugs and bugs appeared to give them a guaranteed revenue stream via support.

Hence the move from features to bugs....

1. Peter2 Silver badge

Re: No...

If Microsoft did a new version with no new features, a choice of GUI's and a LOT of bug fixes then i'd be perfectly happy buying it.

After about 6 months when you've discovered the bugs with the latest OS and the applications it's running it's not like you really need much in the way of features because you sort out any deficiencies with third party software. NT, 2k & 2003 hung around recently (and are still deployed in some places) because they do the job adequately; beyond a certain point you don't need additional features as long as programs still run.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"They bring out new stuff and break old stuff. "

Or just remove useful old stuff. I still miss the flashing green on the network con in the system tray which showed actual data transfer (they later changed it so that it would still flash but not in relation to the actual data transfer).

Also the ability to right click the icon and go straight to IP address details.

1. HmmmYes

So, 30 years and many billion dollars later MS basically implement a software version of Amstrads 'card that sounds like a fan'.

1. DJV Silver badge
        2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
          Happy

Re: Amstrads 'card that sounds like a fan'.

Amstrads 'card that sounds like a fan with great dollops of shite hitting it'

There fixed it for you.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"which showed actual data transfer"

Given the speed of actual networks, it could be just wasted CPU cycles to update the icon.

Still, there are too many indirection levels to get to useful data when you click the icon. OK, lusers should be kept away from meddling with the system, but it' not a good reason to make users life more miserable...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: "which showed actual data transfer"

"Given the speed of actual networks, it could be just wasted CPU cycles to update the icon."

I think there's some spare cycles that could be used instead. Also there seems to be plenty of other CPU cycles I'd be prepared to give up - the 'Metro' interface for one, the constantly updating tiles etc.

The 0.0000000001% hit on my processor to update an icon I can deal with. The relatively small silicon inn the network card seems to update its own LED without too much trouble.

3. Michael Habel

~just nigly fuck ups that make me wonder is they are on top of their testing.~

Blame the poor uptake of Windows X for that...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Blame the poor uptake of Windows X for that..."

You mean the only 600 million users currently on it and the fastest roll out of any OS ever?

6. PhilipN Silver badge

Sounds onerous

I think you mean ominous.

Or both.

7. Bronek Kozicki

It is Tech Preview

I mean, this is almost advertised as beta release.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: It is Tech Preview

Yet it doesn't preview any tech!

What exactly is the point of a Technical Preview that doesn't preview anything?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

which version was that again ?

Server or Win 10 Fall Creators update ? The horror stories one hears around town about it. After multiple partial downloads blow your ISP data allowances out of water, followed by remediation of problems from partial installs,you may have a working computer with another 25GB space used up. , All one gains is some irrelevant guff about VR or MR instead of something useful. So the server version may be benign in comparison.

1. d3vy

Re: which version was that again ?

The problem here is that people like to complain when things go wrong, they dont pipe up as much when things work, Yes some people have had issues, but whats that % wise of the install base of windows 10?

I have installed windows hundreds probably thousands of times in the past, i don't regale people with the tales of the times that windows installed issue free, I do however tell them about the one time that an in place upgrade screwed my data ONCE 15 years ago.

Its the same with linux, billions of installs across the world.. ticking away just fine. But if you google linux right now the news is full of stories about it not being fit for purpose in Munich and it being replaced with windows... To the layman the perception would be that linux isn't that good.

"After multiple partial downloads blow your ISP data allowances out of water"

Setting up your connection as metered might be a good idea?

"you may have a working computer with another 25GB space used up"

You have x days to roll back from the update, during that time a backup of your old installation is kept on disk. If you don't rollback this will be removed automatically freeing the space back up.

1. Updraft102

"Setting up your connection as metered might be a good idea?"

You mean the option where MS says they won't download anything unless MS thinks its really important, in which case they will do it anyway? As always, it's Microsoft's call, right?

Why should MS have the final say on what circumstances the user would be allowed to not download updates? Why the silliness with metered connections and active hours and deferrals? Why does the owner of the PC have to make their case to Microsoft, according to Microsoft's rules, and hope that the request for control of their own computer is approved?

The quality of MS updates and patches has taken a nosedive right at the moment that they've taken away the user's ability to control these things for himself. This is by no means a surprise; if you fire all of your quality assurance testers, quality isn't assured. Add that to an insane rapid release schedule (which necessitates MORE testing, not less), and you have... well, what we have now.

1. d3vy

"You mean the option where MS says they won't download anything unless MS thinks its really important, in which case they will do it anyway? As always, it's Microsoft's call, right?"

Ahh, I wasn't aware of that, certainly not experienced that myself, work tethered quite often and Iv not noticed any massive downloads... Maybe Ive just been lucky.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"After multiple partial downloads blow your ISP data allowances out of water"

Seriously? A data allowance? Do you live in your mom's basement? I paid $10 extra per month for unlimited for the first year, thereafter free as a customer loyalty bonus.

9. Nairda

If I hadn't read the title line I'd have said you guys were talking about Apple...........

10. Sil

Indeed, it's strange to bring a preview with no new features, one has to assume many bug fixes.

To be faire, there's only one new issue too: Dynamic disks fail I/O with STATUS_INVALID_DEVICE_REQUEST

11. Tim 11

worth installing

I assume the new release contains fixes for bugs that are more scary than the ones they are prepared to tell you they left in.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I seem to recall something something about Storage Spaces Direct, the only damn thing that looked at all interesting which they ripped out for possible bugs. So. Nothing worth bothering about. Wake me when we have old features back or something new worth investigating. And no, a further increase in the licensing cost is not a feature.

13. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge
    Pint

Microsoft doesn't recommend running Tech Previews in production

Here's to the ambiguities of the English language--->

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microsoft adds nothing new.

Except more bugs & reasons to avoid them like a rabbid hooker with so many social diseases there's an alien facehugger refusing to touch her with a ten metre barge pole.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like