back to article Australia's new Foreign Influence laws expand phone snoop powers

Australian prime minister Malcolm Turnbull has announced three new laws aimed at reducing foreign influence on domestic politics and they include new snooping powers. Speaking at a press conference today at Parliament House, Turnbull said the bills are designed to prohibit foreign donations to Australian political parties and …

1. FozzyBear
    Flame

The laws were modelled on similar legislation offshore and Turnbull said local additions have strengthened the drafts.

So I'm guessing they did a find/replace on the word America and replaced it with Australia. Turnball the sock puppet of the U.S.

1. Tac Eht Xilef

"Turnball the sock puppet of the U.S."

Less "sockpuppet', more "condom"...

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

"Less "sockpuppet', more "condom"..."
        Shouldn't that be scumbag?

2. Truckle The Uncivil

Vichy

I will settle for "parliamentary leader of a vichy government"

2. Truckle The Uncivil

The cheek of this coming from the head of the Liberal Party that co-operated with the CIA to replace Australia's government in 1975.

3. Just Another Fuckin Anarchist
    FAIL

What's the bet that....?

If this law doesn't keep Murdoch and News Corp from meddling in Australian politics, it's not worth the paper it's printed on.

4. P. Lee

How does this work?

At what point does influence become "foreign" and what should we do about it?

If Australians agree with Russians, are they disqualified from the public discourse? Do we try to hunt down all posts from non-Australian IP addresses on Facebook and make them disappear during an election year? Perhaps we are only going to be allowed to express views which co-incide with official Australian political parties. Do we silence media companies who are more than 50% owned by non-Australians? What if share transactions alter things during an election year?

What is an advert? I get that you might be able to identify this on TV, but what about youtube channels? Is Ben Shapiro an advert for a political side or an independent commentator? Does Putin have a channel? Is that different?

It all seems to tend towards oppressive rules and conveniently flexible legislation.

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

Re: How does this work?

"At what point does influence become "foreign" and what should we do about it?"
      Even though I'm a naturalised Australian, I am also a British citizen. I have been influencing Australian elections* since turning 21 years of age these many long years ago. Is that going to become a criminal offence?

* By voting

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like