back to article Dentist-turned bug-biter given a taste of freedom

Justin Shafer, who last year sparked a complaint to the FBI for discovering a dental software vendor's unprotected FTP server, will walk free until his trial begins. Although his vulnerability work upset some of his targets, Shafer's detention wasn't directly about hacking: he took exception to repeated FBI raids, went public …

1. Mephistro
    Angel

"...another of the release conditions is that he submit to a mental health assessment."

For the sake of balance, the FBI boss who ordered the first raid should be similarly assessed. Just saying.

1. FozzyBear
      Alien

Not just the FBI Agent, but all on the Law enforcement side involved in this should be assessed. There seems to be a awesome lack of common sense from all involved here

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

When we say "Drain the swamp," this is what we're talking about.

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Swamp draining in action

Big John, here is your chance to show us deluded liberals how foolish we are. We knew there were gross problems with the legal system but doubted that Trump could or would do anything about it. As this is what you are talking about, please tell us what Trump has done to help Justin Shafer? What has he done about the FBI agent who ordered the raid or Patterson Dental?

2. Teiwaz

Does the Potomac have alligators?

They'll shout whatever slogan and wave whatever banner you want to get support...

But the wildlife have no intention of spoiling the environment in which they thrive....

And your wild-card outsider will never get around to it, he likes the warm wet mud in the swamp, he's always liked it.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Big Brother

drain the swamp

"all on the Law enforcement side involved in this should be assessed"

Agreed - a clean sweep across the ENTIRE department, and review/removal/re-write/destruction of B.S. laws like those "broken" in THIS case.

Although outing officers AND their families, if he blatantly did THAT, is a bit problematic, LONG jail terms for doing so is ridiculous.

It's like the "process crimes" that are often used to intimidate people, such as General Flynn. Make ONE mistake in something you tell the FBI, and they can CHARGE! YOU! WITH! A! CRIME!!!

NOT a good thing. WAY too heavy handed. Swamp needs DRAINING.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: drain the swamp

Flynn didn't make "just one mistake", and his lying to the FBI was far from his only crime. That's the only crime they're CHARGING him with, because his other crimes are being swept under the rug in exchange for his cooperation. The reason they charge a cooperating witness with one crime is to allow the FBI to have continuing leverage over him in case he stops cooperating.

It must be exhausting to keep trying to put a rose colored tint on Mueller's investigation, as it closes it on your orange hero by the day.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Flynn did make just one mistake - having a symbolic "R" after his name. If you want to lie to the FBI with impunity, have a "D". Ask Cheryl Mills and Hillary Clinton about that, they have lied and had their lies exposed, yet, charges ?.......Crickets.

For a second opinion one could ask Martha Stewart or Scooter Libby, neither committed a crime but were deemed to have lied on the basis of recollections, but not being the politically favoured types, suffered significant penalty.

The other way to get away with it is to be in the FBI, then you can lie and obfuscate and not only get away with it but be celebrated for your "sticking it to the man".

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Flynn was (maybe still is) a registered democrat. Remember, he worked for Obama before he worked for Trump - so since he's in trouble the right wing media lately refers to him as a "former Obama official" trying to distance him from Trump.

He had ethical issues working for Obama, and was "asked to retire" a year before he was due to leave because of those issues. Reportedly the only personnel advice Obama gave Trump in their meeting in the White House after the election was not to hire Flynn, guess he should have listened!

2. frank ly

What is 'cyberstalking' ....

.... and why is he facing charges for it?

1. FozzyBear
      Black Helicopters

Re: What is 'cyberstalking' ....

In this case cyberstalking is defined as

Publicly showing the ineptitude of the investigating officers and making them the laughing stock on social media

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Mike Lewis

The real story

In the original non-Disneyfied version of "The Emperor's New Clothes", the child who cried out "But he isn't wearing anything at all!" was smothered and the parade continued on.

4. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

It's the "naming FBI officicals on FB" bit that gets him the "cyberstalker" tag.

But if you found a route into a system that handles patient information with no security and you told the company about it and they called the FBI maybe you'd be a bit pi**ed off as well?

Top tip.

Don't directly name Law Enforcement Officials.

It's obvious this SW company is clearly very thin skinned and has very poor disclosure handling processes in place. Clearly some PHB can't cope with any level of criticism.

5. Gene Cash Silver badge
    FAIL

Nice to hear we're still the land of free speech. Is America great now?

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Big Brother

"Nice to hear we're still the land of free speech. Is America great now?"

it's an ongoing process. It's hard to drain decades' worth of SWAMP in 11 months.

1. Swarthy

RE: Is America great now?

Even slower going when you have to bring in your own 'gators to replace the ones you've "drained".

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: RE: Is America great now?

...and even after 11 months, you've not only managed to fail to fill al the official posts yet, but have sacked and replaced some of the few appointments actually made.

6. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Clearly a good move on Patterson Dental's part. By having the publicity descend on FBI officers it's maybe deflected attention from Patterson Dental's Eaglesoft having security issues. That would help avoid the Streisand effect drawing attention to such security issues with Patterson Dental's Eaglesoft. BTW, doesn't HIPPA have anything to say about such issues?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Security issues with Patterson Dental's Eaglesoft.

Security issues with Patterson Dental's Eaglesoft? I need to check this out, securitiy issues with software and services provided by Patterson Dental and their Eaglesoft product would create real problems for public data protection.

If true, this will be bad for patients. Does anyone know how they are dealing with this, have they acknowledged that someone has identified a potential issue and they are working on a fix where an issue is identified?

Will Patterson Dental be the next big data breach?

2. handleoclast
      Thumb Up

One should be very careful

About repeating the sentiment that Patterson Dental's Eaglesoft has security issues (as mentioned by several commentards). That might influence google's search results in a way that leads searchers to conclude that Eaglesoft, from Patterson Dental, has serious security issues.

Let me repeat. Be careful about mentioning the serious security issues with Patterson Dental's Eaglesoft. It cannot be stated too often that one should take very great care about mentioning the serious secuirty issues with Patterson Dental's Eaglesoft.

Damn, we need a "sit on this and swivel" icon. I've gone with the closest equivalent.

1. Valerion

Re: One should be very careful

Thanks for the warning.

I shall make sure not to mention security issues when it comes to Eagelsoft, from Patterson Dental.

2. Mephistro
        Thumb Up

I'll follow your advice and not comment about Patterson Dental's Eaglesoft bugs and security issues or the risk for patient's privacy caused by said bugs, and I'll advise people in other forums I visit to do the same.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"About repeating the sentiment that Patterson Dental's Eaglesoft has security issues (as mentioned by several commentards). That might influence google's search results in a way that leads searchers to conclude that Eaglesoft, from Patterson Dental, has serious security issues."

I'm afraid we've been careless. If you search for patterson dental security on Google el Reg comes 5th.

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
          Holmes

So, just to make sure I understand, Eaglesoft, from Patterson Dental, is INSECURE. Is that right?

1. wayward4now
            Linux

"So, just to make sure I understand, Eaglesoft, from Patterson Dental, is INSECURE. Is that right?"

Yes, and it should not be mentioned otherwise the search algorithm will boost their search rating.

3. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

Patterson Dental, taking the phrase 'open wide' too literally.

7. Nick Kew

Cyberstalking?

Sorry, I think I'm missing something.

Are you saying that this is effectively two coincident stories about the same man? That is to say, one of disclosing a vulnerability and another of his harassing some innocent third-party?

Or is the cyberstalking charge purely a manifestation of a traditional Shoot the Messenger reaction?

1. Steve Foster
      Facepalm

Re: Cyberstalking?

Erm, no, it looks like the FBI raids were the result of the STM reaction, the cyberstalking charge seems to be the outcome of the "he embarrassed LEO" reaction.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stop resisting

You're under arrest for resisting, stop resisting (said to unconscious handcuffed person), kick to the head, punch to the ribs, I said stop resisting. We need 3 more officers, he won't stop resisting (now in a coma) bam, bam, stop resisting I said!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Quite a lot to digest on his blog post...

For those interested:

https://justinshafer.blogspot.com/

It surprisingly hasn't been taken down. Hopefully won't get your door kicked in for reading...

10. hayzoos

I will have to check with my dentist if he is aware that Patterson Dental's Eaglesoft has security issues.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like