back to article PayPal paid $US233m for company that leaked 1.6 million records

PayPal has “identified a potential compromise of personally identifiable information for approximately 1.6 million customers.” The good news ist that PayPal is not to blame for the likely leak. Fault can instead be ascribed to TIO Networks, a Canadian payments outfit that PayPal paid US$233m to acquire in February 2017. That …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All this talk

of becoming a cashless society.

Not whilst shenanigans like this are the norm.

And FTR, Identity theft insurance is pointless / worthless.

1. EnviableOne

Re: All this talk

Especially when the biggest data leakage recently is from one of the biggest ID theft providers

2. smithsmooth11

This doesn't surpprise me at all, this is how your details get stolen used for fraud, conpanies sell on details just imagine how many passports drivers licence details and bank statments been sold on !

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Why I don’t use PayPal...

...another reason to he very long list.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why I don’t use PayPal...

Read the article.

It's not PayPal that's lost the money It's a company they've bought out, reviewed their systems as part of the takeover process and identified they'd had a data leak at some point.

So if it weren't for PayPal, those customers might never have known they'd had their details exposed / stolen.

4. Daedalus

There isn't one!

Years ago somebody coined the acronym TIO:There Isn't One! to describe the UI of a simple quiz app (it just had an LED that came on if the answer was right).

Looks like these guys had a TIO firewall/security app.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like