back to article Big Mike is going to make HPE's life a living Dell: Server sales surge

Dell is set to overtake HPE and become the number-one server vendor in terms of revenue and unit shipment numbers, according to IDC. Meanwhile, Lenovo's server shipments are under severe pressure. IDC's third-quarter Worldwide Quarterly Server Tracker has two tables and a chart showing what's going on. Here's the server vendor …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just curious...

So HPE, that Compaq merger. How's that working out for you?

1. Sandtitz Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: Just curious...

"So HPE, that Compaq merger. How's that working out for you?"

Yeah, perhaps Bill and Dave shouldn't have even formed the company.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

'Yeah, perhaps Bill and Dave shouldn't have even formed the company.'

If you knew your HP history, you'd understand why Carly Fiorini instigated the merger, as well as being fully aware the neither Bill Hewlett or Dave Packard were involved at any level in the running of the company at that time.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge
          Facepalm

"If you knew your HP history, you'd understand why Carly Fiorini instigated the merger, as well as being fully aware the neither Bill Hewlett or Dave Packard were involved at any level in the running of the company at that time."

Oh, I know the history. Do you? Bill & Dave were not involved, since both were already dead.

To blame HPE's recent slump from the top position in server sales because some 15 years ago HP and Compaq united? I would only blame the management (Carly) for not using the potential Compaq brought into the house.

Compaq servers and PCs were better engineered than the HP equivalents, both in hardware serviceability and the software/firmware management (Insight Manager, iLO). HP practically adopted Compaq's computer design and management software, and until recently the personal computers were rather identical in looks and internal organisation to what Compaq provided back then. (internally they still use have similar designs, and not just the torx screws).

Without the merger Dell would probably had overtaken both HP and CPQ and both would have withered away, but this is just whataboutism, who knows.

2. Morten Bjoernsvik

How SGI doing in HPE

>So HPE, that Compaq merger. How's that working out for you?

Wasn't that back in previous century? I'm more interested in the SGI acquisition. that was a sad day for HPC. All their boxes look terribly boring now. HPE Superdome Flex. Funny they resurrected the superdome name.

3. Mark 110

Redundancies

So. I am not seeing any stories of Dell redundancies. Lots of stories of HP redundancies. Whilst HP are moving into defensive mode, Dell, having gone back private, are aggressively attacking the market and winning. I really don't know the ins and outs, but when Dell was in public ownership it went into decline . . . Now he's back in charge the numbers speak for themselves.

If I were the HP chair I would wonder if I had the right CEO.

1. EarthDog

Re: Redundancies

That is why you should never go public. You lose control of the company. The business should be owned by owners made of of founders (if still alive), management, and Workers. People who care about the company. As soon as you publicly trade a company, you have to please the stock markets. Which can lead to a "keep the stock price up at any cost" approach. *Cough* IBM *cough*.

Many companies went bad when they went public. Google is an example. Dell shows the opposite example.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

I really don't know the ins and outs…

So how do you know that they're doing well? Could just be an attempt to grab market share at any cost. The privatisation was also effectively partly financed by the taxpayer because it's so loaded with debt.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm sure Dell is winning more due to EMC's footprint in the data center, but I wonder whether Dell is doing as well as the numbers state. The ODM growth is head-scratching, as well. Those are quite large leaps.

Though IDC has been in the box-counting business for a long time, and has ways aside from taking the vendor's word for it (easier with a publicly traded company), the growth numbers border on incredulity.

I'm not in total disbelief, though, since it seems that the HP breakup has HPI/HPQ much better dialed and successful in client and printer land, consistently beating out Dell head-to-head. So it makes sense that Dell has chosen to focus entirely on the data center, to the expense of the rest of their business--and is succeeding with that focus.

4. CheesyTheClown

Moving to Raspberry Pi

I’m not joking. For performance, reliability and stability, we’re dumping data centers. The fact is that it is no longer possible to build a proper data center because vendors like Dell, HP, Cisco, VMware, Microsoft, etc... have all decided that to show huge returns, they would make things so big that our budgets became so focused on building data centers that we couldn’t afford to develop the business systems that actually ran our businesses.

Then we realized that we can move our Microsoft stuff into Azure and move our active directory, email, office, sharepoint, etc... to the cloud.

Then we did a lot of research and learned that what we really needed was a reliable systems platform that would be scalable, high performance, manageable, etc... so we are focused now on dumping our data center into the cloud. Then we’ll replace VM by VM with service by service.

The DevOps team is building an OpenStack, ASP .NET Core 2, MongoDB, MariaDB distributed solution on Raspberry PI. It will be a multi-year project, but it will move 90% of the money spent on infrastructure and IT into business systems. Software licensing cost from Microsoft and VMware alone will save us $2 million a year.

BTW, performance of 200 Raspberry PI 3s has absolutely destroyed two full Cisco/NetApp all-SSD 40Gb/sec ACI racks on absolutely every business process by designing our software and system together. For large data processing, Map/Reduce is far better on 200 PIs each with an mSATA SSD than on any NetApp product we’ve seen.

The only real cost now for infrastructure is the Netscalers. We hope to find a better solution than that in the future.

So... moral of the story. If you want to run a business, build your IT to run your business. If you want to run a data center... you can do that too. But data centers and server virtualization shouldn’t be the focus of any company trying to run a business.

1. Rainer

Re: Moving to Raspberry Pi

Isn't the HP(E) Moonshot server about ARM CPUs?

A while back, somebody on reddit asked about these and one of the VARs in the forum said that he had multiple customers look into them, seriously, and after doing the math came back with normal x86 servers (or blades).

2. anastrophe

I was with you all the way up to the msata drives, has there been new rpi launched recently?

Last I knew the rpi was constrained by a usb2 interface shard with the 100mbps Ethernet port.

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Interesting the but the RPi is effectively an EOL platform because Broadcom has lost interest in it. You might want to look doing the same with something like the Banana Pi: better chips and faster peripheral access.

5. John Crisp

Anyone mention

paying for firmware to fix their buggy code.... ?

:-)

My next ones won't be HP.

1. hoola Silver badge

Re: Anyone mention

And Dell don't have buggy code? The grass is always greener in the other field. Compared to iLO the IDRAC is a waste of space, as for much of the rest, it is an x86 server........ nuff said

Dell are only interested in one thing, that is to buy the market. The do not care about repeat business, only the next punter that is sucked in with the sales spiel.

Who is actually buying these servers? All the numbers suggest is that one of the big cloud providers has just furnished their latest bit barn with Dell as this time it was the cheapest.

1. WageSlave

I'm sorry but I can't let those comments go unchallenged.

I'd be interested to understand why you believe the iDRAC is not up to scratch - most of my customers love its ease of use and remote management capabilities.

And whilst there may be the occasional "fire-sale" to win a specific deal, in my experience it is very much the exception, not the norm. The part of Dell EMC I work in is all about building lasting value and long-term relationships with large, international customers, and that's never achieved by simply buying business.

#IworkforDellEMC

1. Tall

Dear collegue, you forgot to mention Dell EMC Services are 2nd to none!

#IworkforDellEMC

6. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Only one real winner

And that's the ODMs. Now it's private Dell won't have to disclose how much it cost to get the sales.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Only one real winner

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/dell-technologies-hold-conference-call-130000623.html

2. Jbry

Re: Only one real winner

Pretty sure that despite being private, Dell still releases audited financials to the public....presumably because they'll eventually be spinning off pieces again, but I digress.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like