back to article Citrix cracks Windows Store's monopoly on Windows 10 S apps

Citrix has released a version of its Receiver app for Windows 10 S, and in so doing made Microsoft's lightweight cut of Windows for schools a bit more interesting. Microsoft offered the world Windows 10 S in May 2017 and recommended it to schools on the basis that it can only install apps from the Windows Store. That plan was …

1. Mage Silver badge

Win 10s interesting?

I don't think so. Why would anyone want a crippled version of Win10?

What are these machines with enough CPU and screen but less RAM and storage than an $100 Android tablet?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Win 10s interesting?

"Why would anyone want a crippled version of Win10?"

The store only model seems to work for Apple / Google? But yes I guess Android / IOS are in reality crippleware.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It works for Microsoft, too - shame it doesn't work for the users, or developers.

The only thing Windows has over other systems is the software. Get rid of that, and there's absolutely no point in using it.

Seriously, spend an hour on your computer not using any software you didn't get from the store and see how fucked you are.

Funny how you compare a desktop OS to a mobile, however. Quite telling, actually.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Devil

"The store only model seems to work for Apple / Google"

in Android, you can EASILY switch off the "feature" that restricts you to "store only" [cr]apps.

not sure about iOS.

And the "feature" in Win-10-nic S (which stands for something that starts with an 'S') apparently can NOT be shut off, deliberately, by design. Which makes it S. I guess it's full of S.

2. Trigonoceps occipitalis

"Why would anyone want a version of Win10?" FTFY

(I can't believe it has taken so long to make that comment.)

True or not, take your pick.

3. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

"Why would anyone want a crippled version of Win10?"

more like: Why would anyone want a crippled version of Win10?

you're welcome

(aw looks like someone beat me to it. great minds thinking alike)

2. Adrian Harvey
    WTF?

500GB!

<quote> Citrix requires 500GB of disk space and 1GB of RAM to run Receiver </quote>

I think 500MB is more likely... thin client software is not generally given to being fat.

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

S is for ... ?

Has anything tried this edition? It's a fucking joke! Every single reason to use Windows is disabled. And lets face it, those reasons are decreasing.

Can't do anything on it. You can only download apps from the store, that have been vetted by Microsoft. You're stuck with Edge and bing.

You might as well get a Chromebook - at least you wont get the maintenance nightmare of Windows.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: S is for ... ?

" You're stuck with Edge "

Which is faster than Chrome and now has Ublock Origin and Ghostery available.

"and bing"

Which gives far cleaner results than Google that are not full of SEO crap and disguised adverts!

"You might as well get a Chromebook - at least you wont get the maintenance nightmare of Windows."

Have you seen how many patches Google have released for Chrome OS?! And - erm - just like Windows 10 most require a reboot and a long wait!

1. MyffyW Silver badge

"and bing"

The search engine of choice if you're the sort of person who places each-way bets.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The maintenance of Windows that i get annoyed with (and what i think they are talking about) is not just about patches! Its about the endless baby sitting of the OS, Windows just breaks by its self. It can be working fine one day then go to use it the next and it just throws up errors.

Went to play a game last month that had been working fine, nothing had changed, hit the Play button and Windows would start the shut down sequence.

Few days later went to run a regularly used app , DLL's were 'missing' .

Then on top of that crap you have to sit there and wait while updates update your updatings.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Have you seen how many patches Google have released for Chrome OS?!"

Far less than Windows 10 (even though Chrome OS has been out longer)* and a much smaller proportion of RCE and priveesc bugs than Windows 10 too*.

*Refer cvedetails.com

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Far less than Windows 10"

I think you mean far *fewer* ? Are you one of the less intelligent posters or one of the few intelligent posters?!

"(even though Chrome OS has been out longer)"

But one is an enterprise grade fully featured OS and the other is a basically a browser kiosk!

"*Refer cvedetails.com"

50 in Chrome OS itself and well over 1500 in the Chrome Browser!

Windows 10 is on 483 and the Edge browser is on 334.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"I think you mean far *fewer* ? Are you one of the less intelligent posters or one of the few intelligent posters?!"

Fair point, but ad hominem does not bring credibility to a debate.

"Far less than Windows 10"

I think you mean far *fewer* ? Are you one of the less intelligent posters or one of the few intelligent posters?!

"But one is an enterprise grade fully featured OS and the other is a basically a browser kiosk!"

We are talking about Windows 10S remember, which is also just a browser kiosk with a store. Except one with a worse track record.

"50 in Chrome OS itself and well over 1500 in the Chrome Browser!"

Over eight years for Chrome, versus just over two for Edge. If we compare directly over the last two complete years of release to keep this relevant, we see 325 for Chrome and 307 for Edge (i.e. similar).

Of the 307 vulns for Edge, 63% involved code execution compared to 6% for Chrome. Ouch! Guess which one usually holds up better at pwn2own? (hint: not Edge).

And for the record, I'm not a big Chrome user either.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>> " You're stuck with Edge "

> Which is faster than Chrome

Doesn't support assistive technology like screenreaders etc though - bit of problem for education users. In the US it's illegal to spend Federal Funds on inaccessible tech and in the UK, education establishments which don't provide accessible tech are liable to prosecution under SENDA.

When pointed out to MS, rather than fix accessibility in S and Edge, they provided a free upgrade route from S to Windows Pro for assistive tech users - so you can install an accessible web browser like Firefox or Chrome and use NVDA, JAWS etc.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4032817/windows-10-s-assistive-technology-faq

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Edge is slow for me, on actual sites. 4% of web users may disagree. And it uses the same shitty core as IE - as proven by every patch/vulnerability for either one usually applies to the other. But, as long as it downloads Firefox I'm happy.

and I'm sorry, but Windows isn't even close to the ease of maintenance of a chromebook. You obviously haven't used one. Stick the windows logo on it, and you'll love it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pointless OS version

Worked in a school for a couple of years, any OS properly locked down prevents kids installing stuff. All locking it to the Windows store does it create a captive market.

The kids trying to circumvent group policy and scripts etc was part of the fun of working there, I probably learnt more whilst combatting the kids constant attempts to get around our proxy, us VPNs and install various applications from their home burnt disks than I did from 10 years working elsewhere. It was great!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Pointless OS version

All locking it to the Windows store does it create a captive market.

Exactly.

30% of all Windows software sales? Having control over what people can and can't use?

They're rubbing their finger-less gloved hands.

5. SVV

Citrix cracks Windows Store's monopoly on Windows 10 S apps

You will be able to get all 5 of them from Citrix too.

6. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

But

Does your Windows S licence entitle you to run Grown Ups Windows programs on your Window S screen? Or do you need an extra Windows licence to do it legally? Because that happens.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like