back to article Uber hack: EU data protection bods launch taskforce

The European Union’s group of data protection watchdogs has launched a taskforce into the Uber data breach that affected 57 million users worldwide. The Article 29 Working Party discussed the breach, which took place in October 2016 but was only revealed last week, at its November plenary meeting yesterday. The taskforce will …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Uberhate circle jerk

Yawn. That's so may 2017. ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

'Yawn. That's so may 2017'

Thanks for that #UberBot...

@Kalanick get back to shredding Waymo documents!

2. TSG

I’m glad Über is being investigated.

After all, they have managed to mangle so many things in their handling of this. First, they screwed up security by storing all sorts of confidential data on third-party services, then they screw up by paying off the hackers (no doubt sending them the signal that hacking Über is profitable), then they screwed up by not telling anyone for months.

And then there’s the way they’ve broken the law multiple times to maximise profit, and the outright toxic corporate culture.

Good Riddance to Über. Rot in hell.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

Re: I’m glad Über is being investigated.

Good Riddance to Über.

But ignoring Über, what about Uber, the US taxi app and corporation.

Mind you the Yankee doodles do think that it should be "Uber, Uber über alles, über alles in der Welt", noting the grammar carefully.

3. Aodhhan

Typical backass governments

Politicians...

Time to hold yourself responsible for some of this. INFOSEC professionals have been harping on you for years to come up with laws and methods of regulating information of private citizens, yet you've balked and pocketed money from lobbyists and other business representatives who have urged you not to get involved.

To me, you're just deflecting all blame onto business after the fact, and won't change as long as big business is tossing money at you.

1. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

Re: Typical backass governments

Downvote from me as we have some very strict privacy/date protection laws in the EU. Coming into force in a few months will be stronger rules under the EU GDPR. The US authorities might not GAS about privacy or fairness, but don't lump all countries in with them.

It will be "interesting" to follow this, and I strongly suspect Uber will find that the EU is "not as friendly" to their slapdash practices as their home country.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like