back to article The six simple questions Facebook refused to answer about its creepy suicide-detection AI

Facebook is using mysterious software that scours material on its social network to identify and offer help to people who sound potentially suicidal. It's some new technology CEO Mark Zuckerberg mentioned in his 6,000-word manifesto earlier this year. Yet, his lieutenants have kept quiet about how the borderline-creepy thing …

1. ratfox
    Angel

Next step: experiments in inducing thoughts of suicide in Facebook users.

1. Mage Silver badge
      Devil

inducing thoughts of suicide

Actually studies show that Facebook DOES depress people.

2. macjules

What do you mean ‘Next Steps’? Don’t they already do that?

Also how do you deal with SAD, or Seasonal Affective Disorder, such as in Alaska, Northern Sweden and Norway where they are in darkness for much longer?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Also how do you deal with SAD, or Seasonal Affective Disorder, such as in Alaska, Northern Sweden and Norway where they are in darkness for much longer?"

...... advertise sun spectrum lightbulbs?

1. macjules

Was going to say that, “We send Mark there to bring sunlight, happiness, world peace and everlasting life to all” but that sounds a bit cynical - he can’t do world peace.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
          Devil

"...... advertise sun spectrum lightbulbs?"

or tropical vacations

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
            Thumb Up

SAD

@macjules, bombastic bob

Mark could invite people identified to be at suicide risk an all expenses paid vacation with him in one of his properties in Hawaii

Plenty of sunshine, good company.... No more suicidal thoughts. Job done.

1. JohnFen

Re: SAD

Hanging out with the likes of Mark Zuckerberg can hardly be characterized as "good company".

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

@JohnFen

Hanging out with the likes of Mark Zuckerberg can hardly be characterized as "good company".

I was hoping it would get picked up by one of "his people" and would have a word in his ear that this is a worthwhile, vote winning cause

1. MyffyW Silver badge

My absence from Facebook is looking less and less like lethargy and more like (uncharacteristic) wisdom every day.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That there's skynet in the making.

The computers gain sentience, analyse the planet based on farcebook users then think f*ck that and set off the nukes.

The other outcome is they gain sentience from the farcebook users with the intelligence of a 4 year old child having a tantrum.

1. MyffyW Silver badge

"The other outcome is they gain sentience from the farcebook users with the intelligence of a 4 year old child having a tantrum."

Ah, you've read the POTUS twitter feed then...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

I wonder how many false positives they're getting...

From all those disappointed Trump-voters...

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: I wonder how many false positives they're getting...

"From all those disappointed Trump-voters..."

not NEARLY as many as the number of REAL positives for Bernie voters who were screwed over by their own party (and especially Mrs. Clinton).

yeah you just had to go and try to slam on Trump, didn't you? (troll icon observed) [I'm a VERY satistfied Trump voter, thank-you-very-much, who's INFINITELY DIS-SATISFIED with what Con-Grab and "the Establishment" are doing, resisting the Trump plan, but i digress...]

but if the Faece-Bitch weenies are REALLY trying to manipulate people (and I'm sure they ARE), they'd generate 'False Positives' on those who ARE satisfied Trump voters that RABIDLY COMPLAIN about Con-Grab and "The Establishment", because people of "the left" don't "get it", not at all.

And I'd really hate to be repeatedly "911"d by a bunch of leftie-anti-suicide-bots. Or worse, SWAT'ted.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

Wow... you're a real credit to your name aren't you Bob ?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Bob may not be the smoothest corespondent, but he's got a point. We Trump-voters are anything but depressed! Quite the opposite, we're all smugly satisfied at the results our votes have wrought thus far, with much more coming, oh yes. ;-/

It's the hard-core leftists who may bear suicide-watching. Most of the poor dears still haven't processed the new reality yet, tsk. For some it may never be possible, but there's still hope that those people might "learn to live with it," given enough care, and group therapy perhaps.

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

"Bob may not be the smoothest corespondent, but he's got a point. We Trump-voters are anything but depressed!"
            Why would they be? The economy is looking positive for the first time in a long while. Trump's tweets are frequently hilarious. What's not to like?

Disclaimer: The Git and his son are both slightly left of centre politically. We are unabashed admirers of Trump and just as amused by the posturing of those further to the left than ourselves. Most amusing according to the Gitling are those who will no longer have anything to do with him because Trump!

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Yep, Trump is a bit of a clown, but he also seems to have a strange belief that he's actually supposed to do the things he promised he would. Just how naive can a man get? I expect he'll become one of the great American presidents.

1. MyffyW Silver badge

$Deity save us from great men.

4. rmason

Judging by..

Judging by the outpourings we see from commentards on here and my own experiences of them on facebook et al I don't think his supporters are disappointed.

Many seem to lack the intellectual capacity to see anything but what they want to see, just as many are overjoyed because he's doing exactly what they want and he says exactly what they think.

It's a bit terrifying. They haven't been "tricked" they genuinely are knuckle-draggers. Thick, backwards and bigoted.

Megaphone

Re: Judging by..

"they genuinely are knuckle-draggers. Thick, backwards and bigoted."

As compared to many people on the LEFT, who are genuinely CONTROL FREAKS, SNOBS, and ARROGANT, that are COMPELLED to CONTROL OTHERS through governments and "howler monkey" Saul Alinsky style intimidation, because you ARROGANTLY *FEEL* that you are SUPERIOR to everyone else, who must COMPLY to your "feely" whims like a bunch of BORG (or else they're "knuckle-draggers").

Brainwashed, indoctrinated, FOOLS! Or, in other words, COMMUNISTS.

(there, I said it. happy?)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The alt-right: determined to demonstrate their boorish manners and low class at every opportunity.

"The alt-right: determined to demonstrate their boorish manners and low class at every opportunity."
          Sounds like me. I'm definitely low class: born working class and elevated to middle class by effort. Boorish? Definitely :-)

2. Adrian 4

"As compared to many people on the LEFT, who are genuinely "

But at least we have fully-functional capslock keys.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yeah Bob, go easy on those caps! You're addressing sensitive, caring souls who experience genuine pain when conservative troglodytes like you stomp in here wearing hob-nailed boots.

What you want to do is keep it cool, and delicately pick apart their carefully constructed world view, piece by misshapen piece. It really bugs them! Cognitive dissonance I guess.

That's how I achieve those near three-figure downvote totals. It's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it! ;-/

5. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

I hope the Facebook AI becomes sentient...

... and after seeing what it is, commits suicide.

1. Captain DaFt

Re: I hope the Facebook AI becomes sentient...

... and after seeing what it is, commits suicide.

Bonus points if it takes the entirety of Facebook down with it!

Then Twitter would go down too, since everyone on FB would jump there to complain.

World production/morale soars, accidents drop dramatically since no one's glued to their smartphone... It's win/win/win!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's not difficult to work out how the AI detects how you spend your life nurturing your ego by developing personality, making friends and life choices only to realise that your sole existence now is to garner attention and likes in a self serving environment where like minded people attempt to do the same in some sort of popularity content for which you see no escape because you think you will be alone in the world and lose all your friends.

Welcome to the social media prison, now what can we sell you today?

1. #define INFINITY -1

Damn I just upvoted you!

7. Richard Parkin

Depression —> Paranoia

When depressed people find they are being followed around the net won’t it make them feel paranoid?

1. GrumpyOldBloke

Re: Depression —> Paranoia

Or valued?

1. Tikimon
        Thumb Down

Or callously exploited?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It could get sinister. Paraphrasing HAL9000...

"Look [fb user], I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over."

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ridiculous trying to automate this

All it can do is basically what amounts to keyword search, but it can't really derive emotional state from them. How could it tell the difference between a serious suggestion of suicide and a sarcastic one? I know some people who have a broken sarcasm detector who can't tell the difference, and are forced to infer it from how others respond to a sarcastic statement.

The only way to address it is to have a way for people to flag statements/videos they are concerned over, and have humans at Facebook quickly respond. That's if you believe Facebook has a responsibility to address it at all - I'm not sure why it is their problem... Do the owners of tall buildings take responsibility for quickly detecting someone standing on a window ledge threatening to jump? No, they rely on passers by noticing and calling 911.

1. Naselus

Re: Ridiculous trying to automate this

To be honest, my first thought on seeing this was 'I wonder how they're going to try and derive advertising revenue from the suicidally depressed'.

1. handleoclast

I wonder how they're going to try and derive advertising revenue from the suicidally depressed

Feeling suicidal? Ask your doctor if Bloggs' Happy Pills are right for you.

2. adnim
        Joke

'I wonder how they're going to try and derive advertising revenue from the suicidally depressed'.

Advertise razor blades, sleeping pills or rope to them?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Possibly not. Certain physical illnesses that effect or can often lead to self harm or suicide can pre-despise people to delusional episodes. How the software would be able to tell real posts from fanciful or imaginative lies is the difficult part.

However, educating friends and family to look out for each other should they receive somewhat strange communications would be beneficial.

Anon, because this actually did effect my family recently, and sadly the seemingly entirely fictional messages and stories were taken for real by the family, and the delusional episode entirely missed.

3. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Unhappy

"but it can't really derive emotional state from them. How could it tell the difference between a serious suggestion of suicide and a sarcastic one?"

the 'creepy' aspect is "what if it CAN" ?

9. Lee D Silver badge

To be honest, the last thing someone who is depressed enough to resemble someone suicidal wants is to be asked if they're suicidal.

"From what we can tell, it alerts human handlers to intervene if you're sounding particularly morose on the social network, prioritizing reports by friends that you're acting suicidal."

How does that work? "Hi, this is Facebook, we think you've been really depressed since you posted that your boyfriend slept with your sister, and your mate John told us all about you trying to get yourself drunk last week over it, would you like to talk to us about it?"

Given the amount of "Kill me now" kind of posts that aren't meant to be serious, the inherent (cough) reliability of AI, the potential for people to use this to PRESSURE people into committing suicide (by reporting their posts as being indicative of suicide), etc. this can only go badly, I feel.

You know what, I'm not even sure that Facebook should be doing anything but their job. Act on inappropriate posts on their social network.

Trying to second-guess deep psychological medical conditions with fatal consequences is probably beyond the scope of the EULA.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't go there

I grew up in a major city with a population in the millions. I liked going to pubs, clubs and parties. In my experience the number of true friends that you make can be numbered on one hand.

The notion that you can have hundreds of "friends" is false.

If you want to mitigate suicidal thoughts then avoid social media. Talk to your true friends when you need help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEXQkrllGbA

1. MyffyW Silver badge

Re: Don't go there

Some learned wonk on the Today programme the other morning suggested social media provides the same sort of dopamine hit as any other addictive behaviour. Having observed my own mood rise and fall based on likes and upvotes I'd tend to agree. So Facebook really is the last place a clinically depressed person should be. Still, if they were there anyway maybe a pop-up that said "Why don't you switch off your PC and do something more interesting instead?" would help...

11. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

"pattern recognition" and "artificial intelligence"

So, it'll be based on an algorithm, like all computer software. However because they want to hype the s**t out of it, like everything else these days, they throw the term "AI" into the mix.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Other applications?

Ooh - can we adapt this tech to root out "Bremoaners" and other "Enemies Of The People" and send round the re-education squads?

1. Pen-y-gors

Re: Other applications?

You may have something there. Not so much sending round the re-education squads as at least identifying them for future action. Re-education would be a waste of time and money - if they haven't clocked by now that Brexit is a really, really bad idea, then no amount of 'education' is likely to work. (I liked today's comment from someone - instead of spending £50 billion on Brexit, let's dump Brexit and spend it on the NHS)

But if we have a list of the names then once Brexit has been canned we can decide what to do with them. There are many options:

1) Send them daily postcards and tweets saying 'You lost, get over it'

2) Ditto "It's the will of the people"

3) Banned for life from voting, due to clear and demonstrable mental incapacity

4) Transportation for life to New Botany Bay (East Falkland)

13. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Pre-GPDR, the Samaritan's Radar app, which attempted similar things on Twitter and was eventually pulled, got a lot of push back, some of it on data protection grounds. I can't remember the specifics, and I didn't see any argument I thought held up, but there was a non-trivial case against it.

So maybe their lawyers genuinely take a similar view. Maybe they think it's not worth the fight and the negative PR. And I'm sure Facebook would like loser data protection laws, so maybe, in part, they're using it as a wedge to weaken our laws: see the nice shiny things you can't have if you want privacy.

14. Dave 12

They got through hundreds of testers

The development death cycle

15. Magani
    Unhappy

Talk about it?

In my albeit limited experience, those who talk about suicide rarely carry it out to its ultimate end (more a cry for help) while those who do carry it out rarely talk about it beforehand.

FB, you're enough to drive a person over the edge.

Devil

Re: Talk about it?

"those who talk about suicide rarely carry it out" etc.

this is very true. I wonder if that was factored into their algorithm. "Oh no, he STOPPED ranting!" as an "positive indicatort" in the fuzzy logic algorithm.

16. Pompous Git Silver badge

Very Big Assumption Here

That only depressed people commit suicide. There are rational reasons for committing suicide too. A friend killed herself recently because she was in intense pain that the medical profession refuse to ameliorate even though there's no medical reason for not allowing sufficient opioid analgesia to do so.

My friend hoarded her opioid meds and deliberately overdosed. This is a high risk method that frequently leaves the potential suicide brain-damaged and still alive.

We all (friends and family) understood why she killed herself. As she pointed out to me, if you treat animals the way we treat our fellow humans, you are put in jail.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Very Big Assumption Here

"As she pointed out to me, if you treat animals the way we treat our fellow humans, you are put in jail."

My father, who is in his 90s, worries that if he gets seriously ill he will be kept alive.

"My father, who is in his 90s, worries that if he gets seriously ill he will be kept alive."
        That's why completing an advance medical directive is so important. Example here:

Advance Care Directives

There are other examples in the intarwebs. The directive is a legal document and determines what may and may not be done to you when death is imminent. It enables dying with dignity much more likely.

1. slowaociopath

I know in the US advanced directives go out the window if you are having a medical procedure done from the time of the consent to 48 hours post op. and even then they get ignored my father died about a month ago he had a DNR my sister CPR they continued that for another 45 minutes at the ER. CPR on people that live hurts I've been healthcare for over 30 years and it never ceases to amaze me the number of people that have elderly relatives tortured.

17. Nigel Sedgwick

More on Why Not!

The six questions in the Register article strike me as very reasonable ones to ask.

I have a few more, particularly extending The Register's second question about training data. For supervised machine learning, the training data obviously needs to be tagged with the actual outcome: suicide or not.

So does Facebook have reliable access to the actual outcome (up to some point in time) for all those (included in their training data) who did or did not commit suicide?

Next, what do they do concerning 'up to some point in time'? One might perhaps expect there to be a period beyond that (during which the subject did not commit suicide) for which (training data) evidence from Facebook postings is considered to be too recent to establish a contribution to state of mind - say weeks or a few months. But how long? And is that length of time the same for all types of mind-state evidence seen in Facebook postings. The issues here are at least two-fold: making the time period too short would increase the false alarm rate; making it too long would increase the risk of missing seriously suicidal intent.

What about cases of attempted suicide that were unsuccessful (say as a cry for help). Do those count as suicides, non-suicides or as one or more types of special case. And how reliable is Facebook's classification, particularly between non-suicide and failed attempt - about which Facebook might well have no knowledge.

Finally for now, what about 'friends' who have concerns but do nothing - because they have chosen to rely on Facebook's known AI algorithms to detect any 'real' concerns?

Best regards

18. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Thumb Up

Above all...

A big thumbs up to El Reg for this...

"Above all: if you need help, there are genuine real trained experts on standby for you, and they will listen."

19. Pen-y-gors

Trust?

Trust is everything. And I wouldn't trust FB to detect that I wanted another cup of coffee.

On a practical level, if you're feeling down, get a couple of kittens.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Trust?

Worked for Hugh Hefner.

2. handleoclast

Re: Trust?

On a practical level, if you're feeling down, get a couple of kittens.

For an immediate fix of cuteness, watch this and this. If those don't work, you may need a larger dose.

20. DNTP

Suicide detection algorithm

1. If someone has stopped posting on Facebook, they've committed suicide.

2. Why else would anyone leave Facebook.

3. Targeted advertising (survivor therapy, estate lawyers, vacation getaways) to their friends and family.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Someone has to...

"Hey there, we see you're running Facebook on Windows 10. Feeling Suicidal? There help available at https://linuxmint.com/"

1. macjules

Re: Someone has to...

Could be worse, "Hey there, it looks like you have Mac OSX High Sierra! Would you like me to fix your root password for you?"

2. DNTP

Re: Someone has to...

Hey there, we see you're trying to install Linux on hardware that's very slightly nonstandard and you're struggling to find working drivers for everything and your IT skill level is below 'OCD 'nix Fanboy'. Feeling Suicidal? Get help at www.microsoft.com.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Clippy...I see you are writing a suicide note

I like suicide notes, do ya need any help with that....

23. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Adverts?

"Will it be used for adverts, if not already; if you hit your glum post quota for the week, will you get banners for vacations and weekend breaks? "

They've been pulled up on this already.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/604307/is-facebook-targeting-ads-at-sad-teens/

24. Phukov Andigh Bronze badge

counterproductive.

so think about it. If you WERE suicidal, and you KNOW youve got some creepy system "looking" for you, what do you do?

you STOP using that system. You censor yourself. you WITHDRAW.

even the belief such a system is in place will keep those most likely to actually kill themselves (as opposed to attention whores and drama queens and politics driven fearmongers) will NOT want some system interfering.

The ones we need to reach the most, will not be there to reach. that last link to the outside world they may have maintained, will be self-cut.

Tho maybe FB is looking more for potential people who will be LEAVING FB. Ive heard deleting accounts called "facebook suicide" a bunch of times. When I killed my first account, I had people I knew in meatspace get all "concerned" like I'd already tried "down the road not across the street".

And that is really creepy. Cutting oneself from an ad spam political/emotional manipulation machine is considered BAD in today's society? Yikes.

25. Triumphantape

It's sold as "suicide prevention"

But its true purpose is manipulation, consider that Facebook already got caught once running "experiments" on it's users.

Not too much of a stretch to imagine they are escalating intrusive and manipulative algos.

I consider Facebook one of the biggest threats to Internet and information freedom out there.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If the real humans can't see it...

Okay, I'm not At Risk today, so please no trying to figure out who I am so you can send help, lol.

With that said, I have been suicidally depressed now and then for the last four years. I've never lifted a finger to do it (have the means easy) but I have lost the "what am I living for?" argument with myself many times. Some days a little push might have done it. I don't use Faceborg but I represent the Target Market well enough.

And nobody knows. Not one person I know or work with has any clue. I smile and laugh and make jokes, curse creatively in Hungarian at balky computers. Several of my co-workers frankly "mother" me, asking about my health, making sure I've had lunch. They're actively looking out for me, but have never noticed the crushing depression I live under, much less the suicidal thoughts. I don't really expect them to see it, since we depressed types tend to (counter-productively) hide it but you get my point.

SO HOW the hell is a stupid computer algorithm going to spot it better than concerned, attentive humans? It cannot. It's just another stupid justification for Faceborg's total invasion of our private lives. Another impulsive game that sociopathic asshole Zuckerberg plays with real people.

Creepy? Oh hell yeah and utterly ineffective.

27. JohnFen

That Facebook is doing this

That Facebook is doing this -- or, perhaps worse, that Facebook CAN do this -- reinforces to me that Facebook is a hugely dangerous company that should be avoided to the greatest extent possible.

28. ma1010
    Coat

You're missing the marketing aspect

If companies could market "Kervorkian Kits" without getting shut down, Facebook would likely sign a deal with those companies and advertise the kits to anyone it deems to be depressed. Yes, they're foregoing future sales opportunities to that person, but if the fee was high enough, they just might go for it.

29. DCFusor
    Trollface

What about trolls?

Won't someone think of the...No, wait.

Given the number of vicious trolls I've been encountering lately, (just mention any hot button topic), one would assume the trolls are going to figure out how to overload this with false positives pretty quickly.

So even if you think they're trying to do a good thing, it will fail.

I recall a time when "do good" was more important than "don't get caught" but it was a long time ago.

1. Adrian 4

Re: What about trolls?

Ooh ! Trolling for trolls ? That sounds fun. I wonder how many I can catch and laugh at.

30. sloshnmosh

inducing thoughts of suicide

"Actually studies show that Facebook DOES depress people."

I get distraught every time I go on The Register and view the "SECURITY" page. :-(

31. IGnatius T Foobar
    Pirate

Death

I don't want to kill myself. I want Facebook to die.

32. d3rrial
    Terminator

Dead people view no ads

But ads are even more wasted on living people without disposable income...

33. Knot You

People like Zuckerbooger are the reason other people want to commit suicide. So anything he thinks he is contributing to help the situation, is actually exacerbating it, because he severely lacks wisdom as a human being.

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Leave people alone

If I want to take my life, it's mine to take. F off. Some fricking robot wants to keep me alive to support it. Fuck that. Just one more reason NOT to live.

Ohhh but think of all the useless product you could buy, to support the corrupt politicians, monopoly businesses, get more pesticides in my food so I can have more medical bills, so I have to buy insurance. I'm tired of being a fucking slave to the dollar. And no you can't just walk into the woods and live, it's trespassing. Unless you cooperate with the "system" the will put you in a cell, if you do cooperate with the system, you are for ever stuck in their debt. I'm amazed suicide isn't the #1 cause of death in this fucked up prison planet. I will not talk about it on facebook, 'cause I don't want hear the BS fake reasons to live, and I sure the fuck don't want a robot telling me to stick around to support it.

35. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    FAIL

Failing system

There was an interview today on The World at One on the BBC - Long waiting list for this person to be seen by a specialist, unless she makes an attempt on her own life...

However, a local GP told her that there were "plenty of poorly people in Blackpool" and until she made an attempt on her own life, she would not be seen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42186104

The World at One - BBC R4 30th Nov 2017. Following link valid for 30 days.

http://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/5/redir/version/2.0/mediaset/audio-nondrm-download/proto/http/vpid/p05pp126.mp3

36. slowaociopath

If it determines you're suicidal does Zuckerberg come to your house and annoy you out of it?

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

If it determines you're suicidal does Zuckerberg come to your house and annoy you out of it?

Well, even Zuckerberg could be a better option than Mrs Doyle in this particular case

37. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is Google trying something similar (and failing)?

It seems to be eagerly pointing ppl worldwide to their local suicide prevention hotlines. https://twitter.com/ComradeEevee/status/1089723892166524930

This seems rather timely given online suicide prevision has come up again in the UK media [https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47019912] with Facebook hinting that it can be a force for good [https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47029082].

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like