back to article Two years later, SAP's making ‘progress’ on clearing up S/4HANA ball of confusion

SAP is “getting there” with its efforts to address concerns around deployment of the latest version of its ERP business suite, according to S/4HANA COO Sal Laher. S/4HANA was plagued by confusion over pricing, licensing, migration and deployment when it was first launched in 2015, and this has had an impact on both awareness …

1. Lysenko

noted a 286 per cent growth in S/4HANA cloud in the latest quarter’s results...

If you're holding a £1 coin and discover a £5 note down the back of the sofa then that's 600% growth!! It doesn't suddenly transform your overall financial status though.

Superficially impressive growth rates are usually indicative of catastrophic prior performance creating a baseline it would be next to impossible to fail against. That's why the leading countries for GDP growth in any given year are usually recovering from wars or other disasters (I think Libya is the leader right now in about 50% - Iraq is around 10% - Syria will doubtless exceed both in a year or two).

1. AMBxx Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: noted a 286 per cent growth in S/4HANA cloud in the latest quarter’s results...

You can always tell when cloud sales are failing when all the talk is about growth rates rather than money.

Looks like SAP are following Oracle into their strange world of unpleasant irrelevance.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: noted a 286 per cent growth in S/4HANA cloud in the latest quarter’s results...

Looks like SAP are following Oracle into their strange world of unpleasant irrelevance.

I'd hope so, but I doubt it.

Once a company has made the awful mistake of deciding that its IT isn't a "core activity" and thrown itself on the mercy of the ERP vendors, there's almost no way back. And that's what will drive S4/HANA sales, because the existing SAP products will have support withdrawn, and the customers will have only two options: Migrate to the next SAP product, or an even riskier Oracle migration.

I worked on an IT review a year ago, and it was very clear that we had no option, our existing SAP platform was losing support in 2023, which sounds a long way off, but for big, complex implementations that is tomorrow.

2. MartinBZM
    Mushroom

Now here is a ClusterFSCK if I ever seen one ...

The deal will see the firms deploy each other’s cloud solutions internally, with Microsoft deploy S/4HANA on Azure for its internal finance processes and SAP moving its key internal business critical systems to Azure.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like