back to article Vanity, thy name is: M1SCO company car reg plates for sale

Whichever fool once proclaimed money can’t buy one class clearly wasn’t privy to the inventory of now defunct tech reseller Misco Group that was recently put up for sale by private equity backer Hilco Capital. The reseller, based in Wellingborough, England, went down in October after running out of cash and failed to find a …

1. m0rt

Also handy for that other bastion of corporate steadfastness, SCO

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Coat

Vanity Plate...

for the official transport of the First Minister of Scotland

current incumbent, Nicola Sturgeon

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Vanity Plate...

current incumbent, Nicola Sturgeon

I think G0 SNP would be more her "style", if it hasn't been grabbed by the corresponding radio amateur already.

2. TRT Silver badge

Re: Vanity Plate...

If it was M15 CO, Andrew Parker would have had it.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Also handy for that other bastion of corporate steadfastness, SCO"

As soon as I saw the headline I thought along the same lines. Two toxic brands for the price of one! The ultimate BOGOF offer!

2. Alister

Unless someone's name is (improbably) Misco, or someone is planning to set up a new company with the same name, I'm not sure that the personalised plate is going to attract much interest.

Maybe they should attach it to the "ride-along floor sweeper" as a combined lot?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Are they auctioning off their massively bloated mailing list?

I heard both Noddy and Big Ears are on there.

3. TRT Silver badge

Depressing place to work?

"fork life trucks"

Just lie down in front of them and life won't be bothering you much longer.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Depressing place to work?

"Just lie down in front of them and life won't be bothering you much longer."

Klaus will see to that. *

* Its about workplace safety, so how can it be NSFW?

1. ukgnome
        Pint

Have a beer - the mention of Klaus instantly rings a bell in my mind and brings back smiles.

2. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

Confidence is a preference for the habitual voyeur of what is known as (forklife!)

And morning soup can be avoided if you take a route straight through what is known as (forklife!)

John's got brewers droop, he gets intimidated by the dirty pigeons, they love a bit of it (forklife!)

Who's that gut lord marching? You should cut down on your pork life mate, get some exercise

1. David 132 Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Confidence is a preference for the habitual voyeur of what is known as (forklife!)

Curse you, I now have that stuck in my head. Modern life is rubbish, modern music more so.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No matter how much money I had in the bank I'd never be stupid enough to buy a nice memorable private plate that makes you stick out like a sore thumb, you don't want to make it easy for witnesses, should the need arise.

1. TRT Silver badge

You try to post as AC, but...

we all know who you are, Mr KVL 741Y

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: You try to post as AC, but...

>we all know who you are, Mr KVL 741Y

And another thing, I'd never change my Austin AmbassadorY-reg either.

Damit, sussed.

2. David 132 Silver badge
        Happy

Re: You try to post as AC, but...

Viz Top Tips circa 1992:

"Dear sir,

Why pay lots of money for a personalized plate? Simply change your name by deed-poll to match your existing licence plate.

Yours,

KBW 300 P, Derby."

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I work on the opposite assumption to that. I have punisher skull decals on the wing mirrors (small ones) and a zelda triforce decal in the rear window that way people know it wasn't me plus I'm a good courteous driver.

1. LewisRage

tediously a relevant XKCD

https://xkcd.com/1105/

5. katrinab Silver badge

Do they still have their Data General Mini Computer?

It was completely useless as a server when I was there about 20 years ago, but it might actually be worth something now as a museum artefact.

6. trevorde Silver badge

About as valuable as a 18M number plate

1. jeffdyer

I once saw D161 TAL just on an ordinary car, was tempted to follow it and make them an offer back in the early '90s when DEC/DIGITAL was still a thing.

7. Fred Goldstein

I guess the UK doesn't have ham radio license plates. In most US states, an amateur radio licensee can order plates with their call sign on it. M1SCO would be a call sign from England.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Information for Americans

UK plates aren't personalised. They are on a fixed format with numbers which (these days) indicate date and letters (related to point of origin), and this changes from time to time as a sequence ends. And mostly they are centrally allocated in blocks to the registering car supplier.. But interesting registration numbers, often with digits that can resemble letters, are "cherished" and can be traded,* especially older formats that better suited creating words. Modern ones are difficult to make words but are OK for initials. BP for example seem to have acquired some that start with BP..., I've seen one or two of these on the road.

M1 SCO was an older format that becomes MISCO. Often the resemblance to a name is tenuous to the point of making the owner look like an idiot. Good ones can fetch high prices But the demand for M1 SCO may be limited.

*Some are withheld, e.g. for reasons of obscenity.

8. x 7

Microsoft UK once had a black Jag with the plate X80XED

Do you think that's still around?

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Many

years ago I saw a Chanel van registration mark: NO5

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Many

>years ago I saw a Chanel van registration mark: NO5

I saw a BT van with the reg SH1 T, in fact I think it's on them all.

2. Timbo

"years ago I saw a Chanel van registration mark: NO5"

I, too, have seen that Transit van, in/around London. The plate is still registered on a "Black Ford" - so maybe the van is still around, even if not the original Transit that I saw (mid 1980's I think)

I've also seem MAG 1C (the late Paul Daniels, was on a Rolls, now on an Isuzu) and COM 1C (Jimmy Tarbucks, on a Merc), though the best one I saw was B EV1L, on a very nice VW Golf....which now seems to be on a Mitsubishi.

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

1. Just Another SteveO

And a few years ago near the Chelsea Embankment was a couple of cars with “2B” and ”NOT 2B”. Think 2B was a Bentley, and I may have recently seen it on a Range Rover - but not at the same place.

1. Niall Mac Caughey

Saw a carpenter's van yesterday: CH 11 PPY

1. Black Rat

D1 OCH seen a few times in Carmarthen

1. jeffdyer

D10 LCH would have been better......

2. Timbo

"Microsoft UK once had a black Jag with the plate X80XED

Do you think that's still around?"

That number plate isn't recognised by DVLA - so it might have lapsed, and the vehicle scrapped. Or it might be on retention and isn't available.

9. Hubert Thrunge Jr.

Around here, when I was a lad, there was a Porsche 944 with the registration 10 RAL, with the spacing slightly different. She looked like she did too.

Not to mention ol' Stavros Parrish with PEN 15 (which he sold some years back)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon