back to article Uber, quit shoveling money into the fire for one second and explain that hack – US senators

Five US senators on Monday asked ersatz taxi biz and lawsuit magnet Uber to provide more details about how it allowed hackers in 2016 to pilfer personal information for 57 million customers and drivers. The data theft, revealed last week and not to be confused with a May 2014 security blunder, led to a $100,000 bung to the …

1. Bronek Kozicki
    Coat

Wake me up when Uber receives some praise - or does something well, even without recognition. That's an event I do not want to miss

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

You will be awaiting the heat death of the universe at this rate.

2. sitta_europea Silver badge

Am I the only one here who suspects that Uber is just a gigantic moeny-laundering operation?

3. Spudley

Last week I asked whether Softbank had been told about this before making their recent big investment. If they hadn't been, then Uber would have some very big questions to answer.

Now I see a sentence in this article that answers the question:

...and why the data loss was disclosed to potential investors but not customers and drivers.

So that's good, in that it implies that Uber did tell Softbank. But it leads to a further problem:

If Softbank knew about the existence of a massive undisclosed hack at Uber, then what on earth made them think that it was a good moment to be investing $10b into them? At the very least, basic due diligence would cause you to wait until it's been disclosed.

4. TheMole

If Uber told their backers about the hack

Do the backers have any legal obligation to notify the authorities ?

1. FlamingDeath Silver badge

Re: If Uber told their backers about the hack

The backers have a legal obligation to make as much fucking money as they can in the shortest possible timeframe, while giving the least back to society. It's capitalism 101, look after #1 and fuck the rest.

You do realise these p̶e̶o̶p̶l̶e̶ money hoarding addicts are sociopaths?

5. Commswonk

Wow!

It also led to the ousting of Uber's security chief Joe Sullivan and Craig Clark, legal director of security and law enforcement.

Uber had a "security chief" and a "legal director of security and law enforcement"?

Who knew?

6. TrumpSlurp the Troll
    Flame

If they are fined

It would have to be an eye watering amount not to get lost in the noise of burning money.

1. monty75

Re: If they are fined

Maybe the regulator will apply surge pricing

1. Gotno iShit Wantno iShit

Re: If they are fined

Maybe the regulator will apply surge pricing

I hope not, there is a massive oversupply of Uber illegal and/or immoral acts in the market leading to low prices.

7. Eclectic Man Silver badge

Investing in Uber

spudley said "If Softbank knew about the existence of a massive undisclosed hack at Uber, then what on earth made them think that it was a good moment to be investing $10b into them? At the very least, basic due diligence would cause you to wait until it's been disclosed."

Maybe the Uber people just told them a bug had been found and they had paid a bug bounty and fixed it. As any viewer of "Yes, Minister" will have realised there are ways of telling people unpalatable things and putting a gloss on disasters that make them seem quite innocuous.

8. ma1010
    Alert

So Uber likely did something illegal?

Other breaking news from Vatican City: Pope rumored to have ties to Catholic Church!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like