back to article Bulletproof Coffee lacks bulletproof security: Nerd brain juice biz hacked, cards gulped

The Silicon Valley-backed nutrition upstart specializing in butter-infused coffee says evil code injected into its website was covertly gulping customers' payment card details for months. Bulletproof 360 Inc., purveyors of the fatty coffee touted as a wonder-treatment for mental clarity and weight loss, admitted that from May …

1. David 132 Silver badge
    Coat

Buttered coffee?

How nasty-sounding.

Anyway, serves them right for trying to run a website based on Java.

1. Korev Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Buttered coffee?

I'm sure they'll have fixed it in an instant

1. David 132 Silver badge
        Coat

Re: Buttered coffee?

A pun like that is grounds for dismissal. You've bean warned.

(edit: I see someone has already done the "grounds" pun, several comments further down. Serves me right for not reading the entire thread. You may all now point and laugh at me if it makes you feel better. Ah well, I can't Kona the market in weak coffee puns)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"minus one day on October 14"

World Standards Day.

I'll leave people to make their own mind up on the irony or sarcasm of that one.

Personally it did make me chuckle.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

gotta love the quotes in fastcompany

>And the ban on milk and sugar was one of the many biohacks he had practiced over 15 years (and $300,000 in doctors and 3-D radioactive scans of his brain metabolism) trying to rid himself of “brain fog” and 100 pounds of extra weight.

biohacks? isn't that just called a 'diet'?

>Asprey claims that drinking the coffee and other health hacks helped boost his IQ by more than 20 points.

So he learned not to spend $300,000 on Doctors?

1. macjules

Re: gotta love the quotes in fastcompany

2 ½ heaping tablespoons ground Bulletproof Coffee Beans

1 teaspoon – 2 tablespoons Brain Octane Oil

1-2 tablespoons grass-fed, unsalted butter or grass-fed ghee.

(https://blog.bulletproof.com/bulletproof-coffee-recipe/)

From the above I think you have to start off weighing in at 25 stone. Adding 2 tablespoons of "Brain Octane Oil" (it is actually just 100% coconut oil) plus 2 tablespoons of ghee into coffee would make me seriously ill. IMO Butter belongs on toast, crumpets, baked potatoes and as yak butter in the occasional history monk's tea.

Here's a better solution Try to eat less and exercise more.

There, FTFY Silicon Valley - Paypal donations are always welcome.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: gotta love the quotes in fastcompany

IMO Butter belongs on toast, crumpets, baked potatoes

And (as ghee) in cooking curries. Adds plenty of flavour (as long as you don't have the curry so supersaturated with chilli that you can't taste anything else)

4. ThatOne Silver badge

Well, the idea is not exactly new, in Tibet they've been drinking butter tea for ages. They just never thought of marketing it to hipsters.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

in Tibet they've been drinking butter tea for ages

Tibet, eh? Where not only can everyone be extremely cool, but also interminable yakking about is likely an integral part of many a business plan. I think they might be hipsters already :-)

5. Nolveys

"Set course...for the...venture capital...nebula. Scotty... I need...maximum fuck it."

"I just canna do ait cap'ain, ait's jus' too much fuck it!"

"Scotty...you...must...do...it...before...the...next...financial...melt...down."

"If ai reroute pewer from the security an' quality control systems than I mai be able ta reach maximum fuck it, bu' it's dangelous cap'n!"

"Just...do...it...,...Scotty!"

6. TrumpSlurp the Troll
    Thumb Up

Buttered coffee

Strong coffee with double cream and butter is awesome.

I still haven't worked out why you have to buy it from a web site, though.

Ah. Read the blog which is 50% bullshit and 50% good stuff.

Amazing how you can only get the benefits if you buy the special ingredients from the firm.

Probably explains why I'm not a Silly Con Valley millionaire.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Buttered coffee

Amazing how you can only get the benefits if you buy the special ingredients from the firm.

Personally, I'll be sticking to my preferred breakfast: Bacon and egg butty and a mug of coffee...

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/3-reasons-why-bulletproof-coffee-is-a-bad-idea

Interesting, following up the obsession with "grass-fed butter", I hadn't realised just how different (currently) the UK/EU and Australian cattle feeding practises are to those practised in the US.

Perhaps, if I could package the Bacon and egg butty and coffee into a Nespresso style pod, some Silly Con Valley investors might throw money at me...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Buttered coffee

Strong coffee with double cream and butter is awesome.

FTFY

7. EveryTime

I wonder if the real embarrassment to the company is the same as the Ashley Madison crack: their actual sales are dramatically different than what they claim.

In the A-M case it was revealed that the vast majority of the customers were male, and most of the female profiles were fake.

In this case I suspect that they have few individual customers, and that they sell mostly to image-conscious companies.

8. Terry 6 Silver badge

fatty coffee touted as a wonder-treatment for mental clarity and weight loss,

Maybe the Darwin Awards need a sub-section.

Just a thought.

1. Milton

"Maybe the Darwin Awards need a sub-section"

You're on to something there.

Q: How to raise the population's average IQ by weeding the stupid from the gene pool?

A: Create lots of ridiculous food and drink fads, with basically pointless idiocies like, oh, say, internet-connected kettles; expensive machines to squeeze juice for you; "special" anti-oxidant smoothies that are actually less healthy than just eating fresh fruit (but ten times the cost); or some absurd wheeze to sell coffee with added fat ... and include the newly Crispr'd virus which silently brings on sterility.

Catch enough nitwits with more money than sense *before* they've had a chance to breed, and you have a brilliant way to improve the gene pool and get rich.

For ages I've been wondering what was the point behind all these imbecilically superficial fads—now I take my hat off to the cunning genius of this diabolical plot.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This could be huge....

...names addresses, bank details of people already with money, proven to be gullible and susceptible to peer pressure and marketing.

It's a fraudsters wet dream*

*Teenage Bedsheet Coffee coming to a Shoreditch Coffee Boutique soon.

10. unwarranted triumphalism

There you go then

Serves them right for being different.

11. Teknogrot

Quoted tweet retweets Reg tweet which links article. Recursive sourcing looks weird guys.

12. David Lawrence

Who spilled the beans?

They deserve a roasting. Grounds for legal proceedings? Java joke done already so I'll not do that one again - see? I filtered it for you.

13. Alan J. Wylie

Previously?

So is this a different breach to the one they disclosed on September 15th?

https://justice.oregon.gov/consumer/DataBreach/Home/GetBreach/905485622

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like