Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite and VPN's...

This topic was created by Christopher Lane .

1. Christopher Lane
    Mushroom

Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite and VPN's...

Is it just me or has the pubic beta just nuked all my VPN's? They just never authenticate: -

LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests

10.10 client connecting to 2008 R2 server, no changes made to router at either end or the server so it's definitely the upgrade to 10.10.

Not a biggie as not a production machine but just curious if anyone else had noticed it?

1. Christopher Lane

Re: Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite and VPN's...

No joy with Beta 3 either.

2. Steven Raith

I've not had any problems with it, but then I've only been connecting to PPTP connections on Drayteks. My biggest issue was that the notification breaks on the 'dark' UI.

There's been another update to Yosemite (which also fixes the dark status area problem) so it might be worth updating and retrying?

3. Christopher Lane

No joy with Beta 2. My iPhone and company Winblows 8.1 all connect to the VPN fine through the same Airport Extreme so it has to be down to Yosemite. The server 2008 reports the following in the event viewer: -

A connection between the VPN server and the VPN client xx.xx.xx.xx has been established, but the VPN connection cannot be completed. The most common cause for this is that a firewall or router between the VPN server and the VPN client is not configured to allow Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) packets (protocol 47).

If I turn off the MacBook Pro firewall still no luck. Some how GRE is not passed/allowed/switched on but I'm at a loss I have to say.

1. Christopher Lane

Nor Beta 3, 4 or 5 :-(

4. plarry

Weird... I've been using HMA on Yosemite with no problems. Just had to change my DNS servers, as explained here: http://bestvpnformac.com/dns-settings/

5. Christopher Lane

Resolved!!!! (well...kinda)

I have at last found a kindred soul with the same issue and, more importantly, a solution!

https://twitter.com/seetu/status/496620262209495041

The long and the short of it - set you machine to obtain an IP via DHCP and it works straight away. Set it back to a fixed IP and breaks again. Weird but at least I have a work-around.

6. HDD Recovery

Mac OS X issue

you need to know about Mac OS X Yosemite and the WiFi issues that are plaguing users, including a possible fix. system requirements, bugs and updates, as well as its features and how to upgrade your Mac to OS X Yosemite and more.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Mac OS X issue

Hm. Anyone else affected?

C.

7. comefor

OS X

you need to know about Mac OS X Yosemite and the WiFi issues that are plaguing users

8. David 132 Silver badge

Audio effects plugins for OSX and/or iTunes

This is a long shot, but does anyone here know of a way to simulate vinyl record-type crackle/rumble/hiss effects in realtime while playing music on OSX? I mean, from iTunes/VLC or similar app, not as part of a dedicated $$$ audio editing suite.

Apparently iTunes has a plugin architecture, but my google-fu isn't good enough to find anything that's relevant. Ditto for VLC; their plugin site is a barren wasteland.

A long long time ago, I used an applet called Izotope Vinyl. Can't even remember if it was on Windows or OSX, but it had presets for different speeds and even eras of playback equipment - select "1960s" or "45rpm" for example and it would tweak the audio to sound appropriate - boosting/reducing frequencies and introducing rumble/skipping/scratching/dust artifacts.

That plugin's been discontinued by the manufacturer, although it can still be found from various sketchy download sites. It doesn't seem to work on more recent versions of OSX, though. Damn shame, because it's exactly what I need.

I'm wondering if there's something equivalent. Anyone have any ideas?

9. barronsuse

try another vpn, such as openvpn or lptp etc.

10. aryutry112

If you have a VPN settings file, try double-clicking the file to open Network preferences and automatically import the settings. If double-clicking the file doesn’t open Network preferences, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Network, click the Action pop-up menu then choose Import Configurations. Select the file, then click Import.

11. DidierAubin87

I don't like Beta version >.< will not update my phone anymore. I'm afraid that I will kill it

12. RonneySingh

Cannot use Image Capture with my HP scanner

Am using Mojave 10.14.4. Can't use my HP scanner any more. Telling it to scan just returns a blank image.

I couldn't use my Wacom Cintiq tablet until I found the problem cleverly hidden in the Apple's Privacy and Security preferences.

Now I have to use subscription Adobe and Microsoft software. Thanks, Apple!

I really hate getting a new computer and operating system. It is becoming an increasingly horrible ordeal.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon