back to article AT&T, Comcast trash, kill Nashville's Googley broadband cable rules

An American city's efforts to make it easier for Google and upstart ISPs to compete against cable giants has been unceremoniously unplugged. Middle Tennessee District Court judge Victoria Roberts decided [PDF] last week that Nashville overstepped its authority when it streamlined the process for carriers' engineers to lawfully …

1. Nolveys
    Windows

Good thing we've got all this vibrant competition on which the scrapping of net neutrality is predicated. The future of broadband in the US sure looks bright.

2. ratfox

What's that about FCC rules aiming to facilitate one touch make ready policies? Does Ajit Pai know about this?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Does Ajit Pai know about this?

Ajit Pai only knows what AT&T, Comcast and Verizon tell him he should.

3. aeio_
    Devil

One Touch Make Ready? I know, how about: Touched With A Chainsaw.

That way all providers see the exact same thing. It's also Ready For Installation and if you're putting up new lines, you might as well fix it like it's supposed to be.

But this won't fly, though -- the poles are too heavy to toss. :-(

4. Mark 85

Confused here....

So the pole owner (Nashville Electric Service) didn't object but the users (AT&T and Comcast) did? I wonder how Nashville Electric Service feels about this since I'm sure there's a "rent" charge for the cabling on their poles. Something's missing from the article methinks.

5. RyokuMas
    Thumb Up

Nice to see Google on the receiving end of this sort of crap for once...

6. neghvar

I wish we had a system like South Korea.

A single entity owns, operates and maintains a single country-wide WAN. It leases nodes to ISP's. The more nodes, the more bandwidth. So not only does this open a healthy competitive market, but also allows the operation of ISP's which focus on a certain customer base. An ISP could focus on customers who would use bandwidth for emailing the grandkids and checking on their retirement investment. Low bandwidth for a very low price.

All this is what gives South Korea the recognition of fastest internet speeds. A healthy competitive market with many ISPs all vying to find that fine line of a healthy profit margin and lowest cost to highest bandwidth ratio to attract the most customers.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like