back to article Yahoo! Groups! Go! TITSUP! for! Days!

Administrators of Yahoo! Groups have complained that the service has become unstable and unreliable. Members of the Yahoo! Groups manager's forum have reported groups going offline, posts that fail to appear, disappearing graphics and other TITSUP* incidents. “Okay, after four days, we're back up and running. No explanation …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yahoo are irrelevant & shit

Leave and go elsewhere.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Yahoo are irrelevant & shit

That's a bit harsh, eh? But largely true.

Thing that amazed me was that Yahoo groups still existed. I thought they'd gone the way of Geocities long ago.

2. Steve Button Silver badge

Where?

1. Gnomalarta

https://groups.io They have tools to migrate existing Yahoo groups and members, see https://groups.io/static/yahootransfer . I'm sure it's what the owners of Yahoo! want long term.

1. CP in NJ

Would they also house a backlog of thousands of messages and photos? And what would it cost? Right now, Yahoo Groups are free....

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It took 4 days for someone to notice

1. CP in NJ

It didn't take me four days to notice - but it took someone four days to direct me to this discussion!

4. CP in NJ

Can't do that. Well, technically, it IS possible, but there are several groups of which I'm a part whose archives - encyclopedias of us, if you will - are in Yahoo's files. Extricating those archives would be several full-time jobs for a long period of time. And then, where would they be stored???

2. Lusty

Freetards

How much have these poor users spent on support over the years only to be abandoned?

1. Steve Button Silver badge

Re: Freetards

Riiiiiight commentard. And I'm sure if GMail stopped working for several days, everyone would just sigh and say "Oh well, we haven't paid anything for this so it's fine".

We have come to rely on these things, regardless of whether we're paying or not. And we are paying anyway, because these things are ad supported plus they harvest all the data. But the added "friction" of having to pay directly for these services mean that most of the people that use them, just wouldn't. They would organise things with email / txt or whatever they used to use.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Freetards

It's the old "no fee, no contract, no obligations" trap that people fall into

3. jake Silver badge

Somebody noticed?

Shocking!

4. Dan 55 Silver badge

Yahoo Mail is TITSUP too

Well, the part that deals with managing disposable addresses. It hasn't worked for months.

Perhaps the cleaner at the Purple Palace is too busy these days.

So, which provider does IMAP IDLE and disposable addresses and isn't Google or myself (because I can't be bothered with managing a mail server)?

1. AustinTX

Re: Yahoo Mail is TITSUP too

Agreed... I have some Yahoo email accounts which forward to other inboxes. For the last couple of weeks, mail arriving for a period of time will stop being forwarded. Then, I'll get newer emails. For the rest of the day, the older messages will start to gradually trickle in among them.

2. The Boojum

Good. That should put a dent in hacking statistics for a little while.

1. Tuppenced

Weirdly, I'm getting far less Spam since the YoHo Mail outage!

3. AndrueC Silver badge
      Boffin

So, which provider does IMAP IDLE and disposable addresses and isn't Google or myself (because I can't be bothered with managing a mail server)?

If you use a wildcard system (or even the little known '+' notation) there isn't much managing to do. I can give a new address out without having to tell the server anything. The only time I have to manage anything is when blocking the occasional rogue address.

Oh and every year having to figure out how to update the certificate all over again. As with most things SSL that's usually hell :-/

5. Steve Button Silver badge

"Alternatively, are there other sites that provide this service?"

That's the question I was wondering. I haven't found anything similar (not looked THAT hard though), but have tried several sites such as Google Groups (which is pretty much sort of usenet) but they don't work quite the same way. Like allowing attachments, and having admins for the group.

1. AustinTX

Re: "Alternatively, are there other sites that provide this service?"

I had high hopes for Google Groups, but unfortunately they're just... somehow really ugly. And setting up permissions is really not intuitive. Google hasn't updated them in years so we all know they'll be on the chopping block before long.

1. jelabarre59

I had high hopes for Google Groups, but unfortunately they're just... somehow really ugly. And setting up permissions is really not intuitive. Google hasn't updated them in years so we all know they'll be on the chopping block before long.

One feature of Yahoo Groups that Google Groups either is unable or unwilling to do is to have multiple posting emails for an account. Maybe I might be forwarding some excerpt from an email I received in a secondary account. YahooGroups will let me define alternate emails I can send from. Google? Yeah, too hard for their "programmers" to figure out something even the Yahoos-atYahoo could do (OK, perhaps it was set up in the days when they had two or three programmers that had a clue between them). A minor nuisance, but it bites you in the ass when you forget to switch your "from" email address in Thunderbird.

It's probably because Google don't think you'd ever need anything other than GMail, or that you might actually use an *email client*.

1. Tuppenced

Google Groups used to be Amazing, but they downgraded it seriously shortly after Marissa left G for Y

2. CP in NJ

Not Google Groups. They know too much already and don't give value for the personal knowledge they glean from users.

2. Gnomalarta

Many Yahoo groups have moved to groups.io see my reply above.

3. Tuppenced

Groups io

Written by the guy who started what became Yahoo Groups.

Most of the facilities Yahoo Groups users like.

Only downside is cost of storage, but if you don't need much there's no problem with FREE.

6. m0rt

That's Telecom company DMAing buggered then.

So if your new phone numbers aren't working....

7. a pressbutton

Motown had groups

and you will recognise many of their greatest hits.

- Heard It Through The Grapevine

- You cant hurry love

- Superstition

- My Guy

... but I cannot think of anything the yahoo groups did.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Florida1920

Re: Motown had groups

... but I cannot think of anything the yahoo groups did.
      "Tobacco Road."

Gonna leave, get a job

With the help and the grace from above

Save some money, get rich and old

Bring it back to Tobacco Road

Bring that dynamite and a crane

Blow it up, start all over again

Build a town, be proud to show

Gives the name Tobacco Road

But it's home, the only life I ever known

I despise you 'cause yer filthy

But I love you 'cause yer home

8. lsces

Alternative to egroups?

Many people keep pushing on-line forums as a replacement for the service that egroups used to supply before they were bought out. The bottom line is that there is STILL a place for a well managed email based listing system so that one does not spend hours each morning going around numerous on-line sites just to see if anything has been posted. I come down stairs, put the kettle on and look at my in box and ALL of the stuff is there. 95% can be ignored or shelved for later and the important stuff picked up and cleared. NONE of the on-line replacements play well with this simple and productive method of working ... that is while the add laden yahoogroups is at least sending out the emails ...

1. tiggity Silver badge

Re: Alternative to egroups?

Fully agree, I don't want to have to trawl Facebook (or whatever social media is most popular) to find a few posts amongst the tsunami deluge of dross.

I want simple emails in my inbox (well, in my case filtered into a sub folder specific to the relevant mailing list, which is all yahoo groups mainly get used as)

2. Dave559 Silver badge

I would upvote your comment again, if I could, just for the tip of the hat to the egroups name.

Almost (but not quite) all of the lists that I am a member of have migrated to (as it were) other forums, but, yes, I started with YahooGroups way back when it was egroups, and the web was new and clean and shiny, and unsullied by advertising, and people did things because they were cool and community minded.

As others have said, email may be a bit “simple”, but so many times it seems to be easier to find a useful message again than search a forum or attempt to dredge through Facebook posts, etc.

3. Tuppenced

Facebook is doing it's little best for us.

Facebook GROUPS are hugely better than ordinary nasty Facebook.

But having everything readable in your Inbox beats websites every time.

And every Group has a website to go to if that's your bag.

4. shahka

check the lotto result online here

9. AustinTX

DO NOT SWITCH TO NEXTDOOR.COM

Don't do it. Nextdoor is gobbling up the world's "neighborhood" forums. USA, Netherlands, Canada... Most of the biatching (see sitejabber.com) you'll read is about people fighting with each other and admins failing to moderate properly. But it gets worse. The corporation itself is keen to treat the admins and their users as pawns in their little games. Nextdoor will watch you and kick you out for ideological reasons. You won't be free to set your own rules, or make your own allowances and follow your own culture. Plus, the platform is stuffed with ads now.

Google "dawson neighborhood seized" and read about what they did to one group who ran an "alternative" forum for it's neighborhood, to get away from the vindictively-censored Yahoo group their Neighborhood Association ran. Nextdoor said they were cool with it and would stand by free speech. The forum grew to hundreds in no time. Then, Nextdoor kicked off the admins and turned the site directly to the neighborhood association's old Yahoo forum admin.

10. jelabarre59

Administrators of Yahoo! Groups have complained that the service has become unstable and unreliable.

Wouldn't that have required them to have been Stable and Reliable at some point in time?

11. wrangler

Yahoo Groups allow polls, a useful feature that we use daily to gauge attendance at get-togethers.

OK, it's just basketball, but it's nice to know if we have enough guys to bother going to the gym.

12. Tuppenced

Consider the possibility, Guys, that Oath is merely moving all the data to their own Servers (good) before it has the infrastructure in place to tell us what's happening (not so good).

13. CP in NJ

Just joined....

...because someone in one of my Yahoogroups linked to the article that "inspired" these comments.

To the person complaining about advertising in Yahoogroups, I see several ads on this page that are awfully familiar as "sponsored content" on other pages. They go to the same junk pages with 5% dated-but-oh-so-sensational content and 95% clickbait garbage. I and my friends, both cyber and "real life," use Yahoogroups pretty much for e-mailing (either digests or individual e-mails, depending on the group); if they have advertising, it's one unobtrusive line.

Anyway, as of today (12/2/17), the Y-groups web pages seem to be back and functioning. There's a new URL, something with "neo" in it, but I get to the pages from the links on the e-mails, so I confess I don't know what the URL is now.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No Taboola, no Outbrain..

The Register doesn't run any sponsored content recommendation ads. So whatever ads you are seeing on our site, you ain't seeing those.

1. Dave559 Silver badge

Re: No Taboola, no Outbrain..

And we thank you for that!

Those sort of ads are just the worst …but what happened next will surprise you!

14. hairstylestips

one of the best group to entertain the users across the globe and got many friends

most of them are business persons, fashion designers, IT managers and much more

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like