back to article SurfaceBook 2 battery drains even when plugged in

Microsoft's acknowledged an embarrassing issue with its SurfaceBook 2 laptop – its battery can drain even while plugged into its power pack. Microsoft's billed the laptop as offering “Powerhouse performance” thanks to the presence of NVIDIA GeForce GTX GPUs in most models. Redmond's also promoted the machines as offering …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pathetic response

You'd think a company like Microsoft would know by now that a response along the lines of "you're using it wrong" is going to cause more damage to your brand and long-term be more costly than quickly fessing up to the problem and fixing it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

'cause more damage to your brand'

M$ don't care! Why? They're a Deaf Cult. It makes sense. Why else mess with your Windows & Office golden nugget and mess-up the UI. Or turn your OS into Facebook & Google slurp. Or use front-line home users as guinea pigs for windows updates.

There's an unanswered question here about how Microsoft got to be so big. especially as they killed off most free-tech support long ago. The truth is, many of us on sites just like this worked for Microsoft informally, by having friends / family / colleagues / girlfriends calling up in the middle of the night with a crisis etc!

We helped Microsoft sell gear that wasn't ready for primetime, because we acted as the glue to make it work. Well no more! I refuse to help a single person who uses anything from Office365 to Windows10. I won't be that gimp anymore. I've been clear with friends / family / colleagues, don't call me, I don't want to know. But if you change your mindset towards FOSS, I'm your guy!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: 'cause more damage to your brand'

"I refuse to help a single person who uses anything from Office365 to Windows10. I won't be that gimp anymore. I've been clear with friends / family / colleagues, don't call me, I don't want to know. But if you change your mindset towards FOSS, I'm your guy!"

This! Both teenage kids laptops run Linux - one Dell bought new with it preinstalled saving £80 over the windows version) and the other easily changed to Linux Mint. All run the software they need and zero issues since day 1. Fuck their Windows 10 spyware and Office 365 rent-not-own software.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Well good for you! you tell 'em!

2. handleoclast

Fuck their Windows 10 spyware and Office 365 rent-not-own software.

I definitely agree with you about Windows 10 because the UI is shit. Nowhere near as shit as Win 8. Not as shit as Vista. But far shittier than Win 7 (or even XP). Fuck them.

I definitely agree with you about spyware. Fuck them.

I definitely agree with you that Office (in any incarnation) is buggy shit not fit for purpose. Fuck them.

I don't fully agree with you about rent-not-own. Software is as overpriced as it is partly because you get "free" bugfixes and security fixes for some period after purchase (mainly because Microsoft are thieving bastards, but the price does have a component for continued fixes). Users would be better served (by an ethical company) if the software were free but they paid for support. Except many people would forgo support, and we'd have even more infected machines than we already do.

So the best model is software rental, which would mean Microsoft wouldn't have to re-arrange the entire UI every few years to make users think it's a good idea to purchase a new version. Most UI changes from Microsoft have been to create a new revenue stream, not to improve the product, and often the only way to drastically change the UI (enough to make it seem like a must-have upgrade) makes it worse. Of course, that rental model is only a good idea if the company is ethical, honest, and cares about its customers. Microsoft will just use it as a way of forcing lock-in (sorry, you can't export your data from 365 in anything other than a simple text format that discards a lot of vital information).

Rent-not-own is a good idea when dealing with an ethical, honest company that cares about its customers. Neither renting nor buying is a good idea when dealing with Microsoft.

1. Updraft102

"I definitely agree with you about Windows 10 because the UI is shit. Nowhere near as shit as Win 8. Not as shit as Vista. But far shittier than Win 7 (or even XP)."

To me, the Windows 10 UI is the worst MS has ever come up with. Win 8.1 is pretty appalling out of the box, but it can be fixed, for the most part. The entire "app" portion of Windows 8.1 can be uninstalled, ripped out by means of aftermarket tools, blocked, and ignored, with the Win32 half still intact. You can't do that in 10, as Microsoft removed so much functionality from the Control Panel that you can't get by without Settings anymore. A lot of the system dialogs that used to fall under Control Panel (even if you got to them without opening the control panel) are now in Settings. You can't escape the ugly, idiotic UWP styling that has infected Windows 10, and before they've even finished migrating to that, they've started on a third "design language" in the same OS.

Vista was okay, UI wise. It wasn't as good as XP or Win 2k, which to me are the gold standard of UI design, but Vista was still pretty usable with some tweaking. Vista's problems didn't stem from its UI, which is nearly identical to that of Windows 7, and its very real performance and stability issues were corrected in time. By the time it passed out of extended support, it had been a decent OS for some time, though its name was hopelessly tarnished by then.

Windows 10 is far worse than either 8.x or Vista, as I see it. Windows 8's issues were and are still removable, and what lies underneath is a stable and competent desktop OS. I'm a purist when it comes to UIs, but I chose to upgrade from 7 to 8.1 (suitably modified) about a year ago. Vista's issues were a function of it being rushed to market before it was ready (it was already massively overdue) and MS giving in to Intel regarding the "Vista capable" nonsense, both of which faded in time. Windows 10's flaws are designed in, and they cannot easily be removed. Even if you do manage to do it, the insane update schedule means that even if you manage to dig the flaws out, they'll just be put right back in within a few months, and the means you used to de-stupidize it may not work after that. A Windows 10 installation that may or may not be de-stupidizable is a no-go.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Software is as overpriced as it is partly because you get "free" bugfixes and security fixes for some period after purchase (mainly because Microsoft are thieving bastards, but the price does have a component for continued fixes)"

So what you're saying is, basically, it's worth paying a lot for buggy insecure software because the developer's going to fix some of the flaws after you've paid for it?

Hmm... They've got us well trained, haven't they?

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Both teenage kids laptops run Linux

So do mine. I actually gave them a choice - showed them various screen shots of desktops (including Windows - which I assumed they would have picked).

My daughter (11) went for gnome 3, son (14) for cinnamon.

Problems? zero.

Bundled ad/spyware? zero.

Complaints? Daughter wants 2 monitors.

2. Joe Werner Silver badge

"The truth is, many of us on sites just like this worked for Microsoft informally, by having friends / family / colleagues / girlfriends calling up in the middle of the night with a crisis etc!"

... guilty, I guess. And we felt good doing it...

1. GX5000
          Angel

Some of us on sites just like this worked for Microsoft formally as well, and digital, HP, Compaq etc, etc etc...

3. Admiral Grace Hopper

"I won't be that gimp anymore."

I reached that point with Vista. I'll happily use Windows if I am being to do so, but not in my own time. I helped my pro bono support clients migrate to Mac or Linux and life has been so much better since.

All I know is that first you've got to get mad. You've got to say: 'I'm a human being, god-dammit! My life has value!'

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

All I know is that first you've got to get mad. You've got to say: 'I'm a human being, god-dammit! My life has value!'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4ijDjKj4ZQ

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: "fessing up to the problem and fixing it"

I don't see that this is a problem that can be fixed. This is clearly an issue that was on the table at design stage. Meetings were had, decisions were approved and now here we are. Microsoft obviously knew this was a possible issue, but likely decided it's potential was not hazardous enough to upgrade the power brick.

And now the SurfaceBook 2 needs to be throttled in order to charge the battery properly. I somehow doubt that just changing the power brick for a more powerful one will do - I'm guessing the electronics handling the charging in the SBook 2 won't be able to handle the surge. Laptops in general are the high-wire act of PC electronics - they are calibrated to respond to specific and precise conditions and nothing is supposed to get them outside of their defined comfort zones.

So I really don't see how this can be fixed.

Unless I'm wrong, of course, and you can just plug in a more powerful brick and be done with it, but in that case this whole issue is even more stupid.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

So I really don't see how this can be fixed.

I do. They just need to stop marketing it so ambitiously, and avoid making (implied) claims that it can run at full chat continuously. Even if they stuck in a 120W power brick, what's that going to do to the temperature of an ultra-thin laptop with no proper cooling? It'll cook the battery for starters, damaging life expectancy, it won't be so good for the electronics, although it will be great for slow cooking fresh human thigh meat, on the bone.

For the minority that need a laptop capable of continuous duty at 100W+, there's far, far better options from the makers of laptops targeted at gamers, and they'll be thicker, heavier,far more expensive and have better cooling solutions.

Any millennials wanting the profile of a Chromebook, the price of a vanilla business grade laptop, and the power of a full-fat i7 and matching GPU may need to go and learn about physics, economics, and common sense. This "problem" is just a fairly normal combination of marketing over-promise, and gullible customers.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

> I'm guessing the electronics handling the charging in the SBook 2 won't be able to handle the surge.

I believe it's a function of Microsoft's power connector, rolled over from previous Surface models.

3. Boy Mulcaster

Re: Pathetic response

You would if they seemed to care. The way Windows 10 updates tells you that they don't. I've had to help out two friends recently who purchased the current low cost netbook configuration of 2Gb RAM, 32Gb solid drive with Windows 10 Home as presents. They did this because 'Windows is what everyone uses' and now they have found out why everyone needs to stop using it. The update process is not only prone to failure (one unit would not update as it had a Microsoft wireless mouse usb dongle in the USB 2 port, who would have thought) neither could update with the size of the drive and needed a USB stick of at least 16Gb to do the update (no where was this process made clear enough for a new user), it then took around 4 hours to update and knocked out the usb charger drivers in the process (I got these all working for them in the end but the trauma on their faces was clear, when I said this might happen any time there was a major update).

I'm not saying a Chromebook is the best thing but the lack of hassle and speed of the updates alone sold them to my friends.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

My first (and only) Windows Phone, a Nokia 710 used to do this using Nokia Drive/Here maps with GPS.

My first (and only) Windows Phone, a Nokia 710 used to do this using Nokia Drive/Here maps with GPS, when charging via micro usb, the phone would die even though plugged in.

At least MIcrosoft are consistent.

2. Captain DaFt

Well, who would have ever thought that someone would buy a computer and use it to its advertised max potential?

Clearly, not Microsoft!

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

thought that someone would buy a computer and use it to its advertised max potential

In the early 80's, we bought a set of mains-bourne intercom units for use at home (and up to Dad's greenhouse) from Radio Shack[1].

They kept failing - they would work reliably for about a week and then one (or more) of the units would fail and need to be replaced.

In the end, Dad asked for our money back. Shop manager tried to argue with us that they were failing "because you keep them plugged in all the time and they were not made for that". Dad pointed out the fallacy of selling intercoms that required you to go to the other end to ask someone to turn on the intercom before you could use the intercom..

All done in front of a fairly full shop. Money was refunded ASAP so as to not lose more business than they already had..

[1] Which was our first mistake. Every bit of electronics we bought from there seemed to fail after a couple of months. Stuff bought elsewhere was reliable..

3. sequester

Remember back when Apple did the same thing?

… because their chintzy magnetic power plugs couldn't cope, and nobody cared?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. phy445

Re: Remember back when Apple did the same thing?

I don't recall their power supplies failing to deliver enough juice. I do recall that the wiring in some of the connectors would eventually fail due to the strain generated when unplugging them. I don't think that is the same magnitude of problem as this one.

Full disclosure: I have multiple laptops at home, both Apple and several Wintel variants. In the last ten years one Apple power supply has gone TITSUP, I've lost track of the number of repairs and replacements for the windows machines' power bricks (the ThinkPad being the worst).

1. wallaby

"Full disclosure: I have multiple laptops at home, both Apple and several Wintel variants. In the last ten years one Apple power supply has gone TITSUP, I've lost track of the number of repairs and replacements for the windows machines' power bricks (the ThinkPad being the worst)."

So by Windows machines you mean ones that would have gone titsup running Linux as well or are you trying to imply Windows was at fault ?

Fujitsu was always the worst for me, not because of the power bricks but because of the fact they were so shoddily made that when you picked them up half of the screws underneath used to fall out.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

So by Windows machines you mean ones that would have gone titsup running Linux as well or are you trying to imply Windows was at fault ?

Unfortunately, people think "PC" == "Windows", or if it's not Apple, it's Windows.

2. Peter X

My old MacBook 3,1 will run the CPU (Core2 Duo) at half clock speed if used without it's battery. I don't know why this is, but my suspicion is that the PSU is unable to supply enough juice if the CPU is running full-tilt and presumably relies on the battery to pick up the slack in those instances.

4. redpawn

If it discharges while plugged in,

does it mean that it will charge while unplugged?

5. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Quite common in phones

That's quite common nowdays. If I turn on the aug reality mode or the black box mode in my sat nav software it drops 1% for every 5 minutes it is running while on a 2A dedicated charger.

1. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

Re: Quite common in phones

It could simply be that the charger isn't what it claims to be. Or that the cable is bad (the cable makes a huge difference).

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

It could simply be that the charger isn't what it claims to be.

It is - tested, measured. It is a proper 2Amp standalone 12V module which is wired directly into my car accessory circuit.

Or that the cable is bad (the cable makes a huge difference).

Brand new cable, the phone charges from 5% to 75% in under an hour in idle and draws wattage which is equivalent to two amps at the 5V.

Plain and simple - it consumes more than 10W in that mode. You can use it as a warmer in that mode. I never run it for more than 10-15 minutes, I suspect it will not survive it. Or you may cook eggs on it.

For the reference - the software in question is Sygic and the phone under test was my old Xperia M4.

2. BongoJoe
        Facepalm

the cable makes a huge difference

Oh, no. Let's not go here again!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This is not unusual with gaming laptops. There was quite a lot of chatter about Gaming laptops and inadequate power delivery last year. Acer, ASUS, and MSI were all guilty of the same. Probably many other gaming laptops are guilty as well.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

You are spoiling us Mr El Reg

Another two minute hare on MSFT, what a time to be alive!

1. Avatar of They
      Thumb Up

Re: You are spoiling us Mr El Reg

If they weren't so bad and didn't do such stupid things as often as they do, it wouldn't be a problem.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: You are spoiling us Mr El Reg

The two minutes of hate has been rescheduled. It will now happen when you laptop turns off and you lose stuff even though you've got it plugged in.

7. Bronek Kozicki
    Joke

This is sooo smart

Finally, a working solution for battery wear when a laptop is attached to power supply all day long. Just keep depleting the battery nevertheless!

8. TrumpSlurp the Troll
    Facepalm

Your battery is very low - please connect to power supply immediately

Oh, you are already?

9. 0laf

Fit for purpose?

Sell a device as a 'powerhouse' with an i7 and a 1070 gfx which implies strongly it will be sued for gaming which will tax the system. But then supply insufficient power so that at some point the device would fail to function as intended because it's power system can't cope.

If you bought a van that had a capacity of 10T yet when you filled it with 10T it would fail to move. That would be a fraudulent sale would it not?

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: Fit for purpose?

0laf, don't be silly. This is the equivalent of you driving around with a tanker following you, pouring fuel into the tank at a rate slower than you're using it. The windows laptops here don't fail immediately, they work at full tilt for a period then fail. No one has said what that top load is, or how long it takes to drain the battery and no-one who's commented so far seems to give a fuck beyond jerking their knees at evil MS and moaning about the fact the windows GUI isn't the same as it was 10 years ago.

I am really surprised by this state of affairs, I came here for detailed discussion of specs and power usage!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Do you really think that most people working in IT for a living rush out and buy a bleeding edge device from Microsoft?

A largish chunk of us are so traumatised by making this mistake previously that we stay the hell away from new microsoft products until some other poor sod has done the testing and the fixes for the problems they discover have been released. Hell, many of us have been so traumitised by that one time we didn't do this that we've been avoiding new microsoft releases for longer than new entrants to our profession have been alive.

Personally, I tend to have my personal IT set up with bullet proof reliability as I never, ever want to do lots of debugging of crappy bleeding edge devices in my own personal time. I do it all day at work because I get paid quite well to do it, but I just want to go home to things that actually work.

That having been said, it shouldn't be hard to make your own charger with a higher capacity transformer. If you didn't have to worry about shoddy design on the laptop connector not being rated for the higher current, or the laptop itself melting from prolonged usage because it's probably not got adequate thermal management for the user actually having the audacity to use the device, that is.

Which brings me back to avoiding new releases until other people less clued up have learned the problems the hard way. :/

2. MrT

"I am really surprised by this state of affairs, I came here for detailed discussion of specs and power usage!"

Haha! Thanks for that - I like to start the day with a laugh!

Comments like "A laugh, you say? Try looking down in the shower", or "I've got a set of 'Speak your weight' scales you can borrow" to no doubt follow...

;-)

2. BongoJoe

As a full time motorhomer, I take an interest in what's out there with the new builds (the old ones are still better, in my view: which almost echos the Win7/Win10 viewpoints).

Anyway, Olaf, one of the UK firms of motorhome manufacturers released a year or so ago a new range of motorhomes with lots of groovy and fun extras.

One slight problem; the weight of the thing (the payload to be accurate) was in excess of what was allowed to be driven on the roads. It didn't stop them selling the motorhomes though.

10. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
    Go

Compare to hybrid cars

Yes, you can use the petrol engine to charge the batteries, but if you want maximum performance we can run both the engine and the motor to the drivetrain at the same time.

If you don't need maximum performance at any time, we can switch back to recharging the batteries with it.

11. Andy The Hat Silver badge

To hark back to the broad band story

Did they forget to include the 'up to ...' clause in the marketing :-

The Surface can deliver 'up to' quite a lot of welly. The Surface can deliver 'up to' lots of battery life. Deliverance of welly and battery life are mutually exclusive. Do not use your Surface to develop a particularly taxing power point just before heading off to a meeting to deliver that power point as it will have eaten your battery which can cause 'up to' a lot of bad language and 'up to' significant damage to the Surface as it contacts the wall.

1. BongoJoe

Re: To hark back to the broad band story

Do not^d^d^d use your Surface to develop a particularly taxing power point just before heading off to a meeting to deliver that power point

As they say, fixed that for you.

Yours, a previous victim of Powerpoint bludgeoning.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Trading standards?

Fit for purpose?

Misleading advertising?

Nuff said.

1. Commswonk
      Facepalm

Re: Trading standards?

Misleading advertising?

Thinking back to yesterday's "broadband" article the ASA might not see it as materially misleading advertising, so no certainty of help there.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The same problem we had with Intel powered Windows tablets - they would discharge faster than they could be charged. A bit of a pain in the rear, as we were using them for a Point of Sale application and needed to test for hours on end (the customer had insisted on Windows tablets since they had other apps that would only run on them). In the end my employer had to get multiple tablets for each developer...

1. wallaby

I had the same issue with the Nexus android tablets, recharge on them was abysmal

1. sabroni Silver badge

re: I had the same issue with the Nexus android tablets

No you didn't, that was just Google permissionless innovation in battery usage! A completely different thing to what those MS bastards are doing!!!

14. Tigra 07
    FAIL

Faiiiiiiiil

Up to 17 hours battery life, can't always be charged, "keep an eye on power management settings", "will never completely be depleted".

How...Just how, do you fuck up that badly that even your excuses are contradictory?

Seems like comments from 2 different reps: one saying it's not an issue, and the other apologising.

15. jms222

Quite normal

This is the same for virtually all mobile devices certainly my phone and laptop. When working hard they barely if at all charge. From the manufacturer's point of view either you supply it with chunky enough power supply (both in and out of the product) and put the price up and mobility down or this.

If you want to do something that requires serious (electrical) power then don't do it on a mobile device.

1. MrT

Re: Quite normal

The thing is that most mobiles come with something like 0.5-1A plug-in USB chargers and they all try to squirt power down hair-thin USB data transfer cables. I've found it better to use specific charging cables that have fatter power cores and no data cabling connected, which works even on a 1A PSU, but even better if using a max 2.5A or 4.5A / 2.1A per port multi-USB PSU. My old SGS3 was particularly poor at keeping up with power drain playing a game when plugged in until switched to a different cable and charger. There may be some proprietary higher powered fast charging tech involved for a few that stops a PSU swap, but even they could do better with a fatter cable.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

Meh....

...people have done calculations and you would have to run an intensive at full belt for about 10 hours solid for it to be an issue.

On top of this, it will throttle it back once running low, so it will actually never run out.

Off to the Daily Mail now to get less sensationalist news.

1. The Indomitable Gall

Re: Meh....

" ...people have done calculations and you would have to run an intensive at full belt for about 10 hours solid for it to be an issue. "

No, it's not only an issue when it runs out during plugged-in use, it's an issue as soon as you unplug with the intent to use it on the go, but find it's got no bloody battery left.

People expect laptops to be at a higher state of charge when you unplug them than they were when you plugged them in.

So... problem.

17. David Lawton

Microsoft seem to have real problems making premium end computers, was it last year or the year before with the Surface Pro where it was 12 months of endless problems like massive power drain in standby .

18. jms222

I agree drain in standby is serious but this article is about the right compromise between being mobile and not.

19. Charles Smith

Class Action?

Dear M$,

You sold a product with known faults. Give us our money back!

What do you mean? ... "This is your business model and you've been doing it for years with your software."

Regards,

Joe Soap Public

20. Dwarf

Windows Sucks

Power ..

21. CheesyTheClown

I’ll piss on the hater parade

I’m going to order a 15” Surface Book 2 with 1TB next week... just waiting on the approval from the boss.

I do intend to game on it, but to be honest, from what I can tell, it should take about 10 hours to deplete the battery with constant gaming at full quality with no breaks. I’m not that guy anymore. I do use a lot of graphics and GPU heavy software, but CAD and graphics aren’t calculating 120 frames a second. They idle the GPU about 85% of the time.

I will develop AR software using it. But expect that since I’ll be mostly coding, I won’t need full graphics more than 5 minutes at a time a few times an hour.

I have used Surface Book since the day it came out. And just like the reason I bought it... when there is something to be fixed, Windows update fixes it. When my power brick was running too hot, they sent me a new one... no questions asked.

As for the Windows haters... especially those bashing Windows 8... I FRIGGING LOVED WINDOWS 8 and still miss it. It was absolutely spectacular. I also have no problem turning off Windows telemetry... just press start, type telemetry, press enter and move the switch to off. As for office rent to own... $99 a year for Office is pretty cheap. I used to pay $249 a year on average to keep Office up to date.

Oh... yeh... could use Linux... hell I did for 6 years. But let’s be honest, Linux as a Desktop sucks. Much better to use Ubuntu on Windows.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I’ll piss on the hater parade

I also have no problem turning off Windows telemetry... just press start, type telemetry, press enter and move the switch to off

I too use Windows, but please be aware that it doesn't have an "off".

The applications you use (what+when), anything you type into the start menu, things you download, full machine and network configuration, when you log in/out, crash reports are all still sent.

1. CheesyTheClown

Re: I’ll piss on the hater parade

I stand corrected, I actually had to modify the registry. I did it so long ago I didn't even remember.

It was a single google and a few clicks and keystrokes. Total work... 1 minute.

A little silly there's no slider, but oh well. It's not exactly complicated.

22. Patrick R
    Windows

So after ~2 years of battery misuse, when it's worn, you can ONLY use your Surface in economy mode???

What about ..."Applying Windows updates.... do not shut down... errr... YES DO !! errr... no... errr... wait"

What about "To update you computer's Bios,

1 plug power,

2. turn off for 1 hour,

3. Turn on again,

4.Run the Bios update.

5. Pray.

23. MrKrotos

I am on a SurfaceBook 2

I am on a SurfaceBook 2, its been working fine for me all day plugged in with the power brick.

After reading all the above I thought I'd better set the record straight, these laptops are grea..................

</sarcasm>

24. FreeRadical

Users replacing Surface tablets with standard laptops - no surprise

I work for a transportation company in Canada. A Manager (who is no longer with the company thank god) made the choice to purchase Surface Pro 3's for our mobile users based purely on the marketing info supplied by M$. Recently, our users (enmasse) began requesting to replace their Surface Pros with standard laptops, citing various reasons related to lack of usability and hardware issues.

This issue outlined in this article comes as absolutely no surprise to me.

These devices were pure marketing hype from the beginning, and still are. As a purchaser of IT equipment for many years, my advice to the general public is to steer clear of this crap. High failure rates and the fact that they just don't live up to the marketing hype should be reason enough. If you want to look trendy in Starbucks, fine, but if you want true usability, nothing beats a good old laptop.

25. doug_bostrom

One of those situations where we definitely do not want the power supply wedged in amongst the sofa cushions.

26. N2

You can't do that with a MacBook Pro...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like