back to article 10 years of the Kindle and the curious incident of a dog in the day-time

A little worse for wear after the first Christmas party of the season, I stagger up the driveway to be met at my own front door by... a Kindle. The Kindle is tapping one foot while gauging the weight of a rolling pin in its hands. It is furious. It demands: "And what time do you call this?" That throws me. My dad used to ask …

1. Craig McGill 1

One good reason for the Kindle...

I'm trying to nag the kids to spend less time on tablets and phones but it looks a bit hypocritical if I'm on mine, so I've gone back to the Kindle to show that I'm reading and not doing anything else.

I keep meaning to pick up Jerusalem, but I may need to go to the gym first before getting that bad boy (and finish Artemis and the new Brookmyre)...

The Kindle has been a cracking device though - moreso for what it brought to the market than the hardware - but the price on the books has been getting ramped up a bit of late. I hope this reflects authors getting more royalties...

1. tiggity Silver badge

Re: One good reason for the Kindle...

The Kindle has a web browser .....

1. David Shaw

The Kindle has a web browser ..... the original 3G kindle's (experimental) web-browser even worked via whisper-net (sim-free UMTS) behind/thru the great firewall of China

good call on the Gutenberg txt repository too, I d/l every book in every language on that site (before I was banned) to use for part of my password-finding dictionary

modern kindle paperwhite works really well on a beach , tho' not tried it yet on a Chinese beach

2. VinceH
      Thumb Up

"The Kindle has been a cracking device though - moreso for what it brought to the market than the hardware - but the price on the books has been getting ramped up a bit of late. I hope this reflects authors getting more royalties..."

Upvoted for that last paragraph in general, and that final sentence in particular.

3. TheVogon

Still nothing to replace my Kindle DX with....

4. mr-slappy

No, it doesn't. I share royalties of about 10% of the cover price with my co-author, irrespective of the format. Most (half?) of the royalties for a physical book go to the bookshop, for Kindle presumably that's Amazon.

2. muddysteve

I really like my Kindle

It hasn't replaced books for me - I still read real books in bed, but the Kindle is great for holidays. Long battery life, plus the screen is much less tiring to read than a phone or tablet.

I can also have the Kindle app on the phone for journeys, and it stays synced with my actual Kindle.

3. frank ly

"Weirdly, the dog's owner didn't respond; ..."

But did the dog let you know that it understood your clumsiness and that you were forgiven? (They can do that.)

4. Mage Silver badge
    Boffin

Kindle, Kobo etc

The cheap kindle is only 6" and 167 dpi.

Better Kindles and Kobos are 270 to 300 dpi.

Font support is limited. Only serif, sans and mono can be reliably used on all platforms. Stupidly the early Kindles couldn't (and still can't) do non-Latin fonts

Yes forget about images.

Ironically the internal content of ePub and mobi/AZW is basically HTML and "responsive". But eBook GUIs and the management on device are garbage, like some sort of DOS program. Internally all eBook readers use either Android or Linux, so the 10 year ago lack of support for Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Cyrillic, Hebrew and Arabic was inexcusable.

Basically Amazon ported the Mobi reader and since has hardly more than updated DRM and spyware. It's sad how crap the Kobo and Amazon software is.

Anyone with an eReader, or reading eBooks on a phone or Tablet App needs Calibre (free). Lets me read Amazon Kindle books on my Kobo, my old Kindle DXG is too heavy and awkward for annotation.

The Kobo Aura H2O is better than Kindle Touch for annotation via Calibre.

It's a pity Amazon never did audio support properly and then ditched 3.5mm jack.

It's a pity Amazon is ripping off readers, authors & publishers with the subscription service / Prime / KDP Select.

It's a pity Amazon now sells eBooks that don't work on ANY eReader, only on an App.

It's a pity Amazon now have a format that if you download direct to eReader (3G or WiFi) you can only ever use their so called Cloud to transfer if ereader lost/broken and can't personally backup. Always choose download via PC, transfer via USB and keep WiFi/3G off on any eReader from any maker. They want to spy on your reading habits.

A broken dream, due to greed and carelessness.

1. Nattrash
      Go

Re: Kindle, Kobo etc

@ Mage:

You're absolutely right (on many things actually, but particularly) on turning off wifi/ continuous air plane mode. Not so much on the tin foil hat issues perhaps (for me), but more on the general performance of the thing.

When my partner decided to get one, the Kobo (Touch, Fleabay for ~ £15) came loaded with the lastest version of the OS software, yes, presenting the UI in her native language, but also with LOADS of crap, showing her what she "missed out on". And (not) surprisingly, these ads refreshed frequently, slowing the thing down even more. Overcoming her anxiety, I convinced her to factory reset it and return to the original Kobo base OS. Which is brilliant! And 10.000.000 times better than the later, higher version crap! No ads! Works with Calibre! Fast! Responsive! Less power draining! More reading time! And you can activate/ use/ read books (oh dear!) without the obligatory "Not registered? Create a free account to start using your device"! (Catching breath after so much marketing excitement!)

So yes, I agree wholeheartedly. Whatever you do, don't turn the wifi on, and look into whether a factory reset gives you "a better reading experience"...

PS - Reading up on it, there are lots of folks out there who do very interesting things with their (old) eReaders (e.g. hackaday.com, koreader on github). Can even remember finding a guy who used it as his dash/ instrument panel for his ultralight! An application where crappy images can really help (help. Help! HELP!!!)

5. Schultz
    Facepalm

I really liked my Kindle ...

but exactly two years after purchase, it decided that the warranty period was over and refused to move beyond the screensaver. I loved the battery life, beat my Samsung phone by months. But the life span of the Samsung beat the Kindle by years.

An outdated phone and a dead Kindle, which one to replace?

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: I really liked my Kindle ...

New ones do that. The original was bombproof. I still have a Kindle mark 1 (the one with the keyboard) and it still works and the battery still lasts for a couple of weeks.

1. Alistair Dabbs

Re: I really liked my Kindle ...

My first was the Kindle Keyboard, which I liked very much. It was very thin and light. A recharge lasted 6 weeks or so. The only problem was that it stopped working one week after the 12-month warranty expired. All that Amazon could offer me was a replacement at a small discount. I declined, which was just as well since just a few weeks later they launched a new improved Kindle series costing £20 less than the discounted replacement they’d offered me.

6. lglethal Silver badge
    Go

e-ink is the benefit of a kindle

e-ink is the Major benefit of a kindle over tablets. It makes reading for long times so much better!

But god are you right about pictures being crap. I've given up reading Fantasy series' or anything that requires you to occasionally look at a map to see what they're talking about (travel guides are a prime example). Anytime you need to jump around in a book, you can pretty much kiss your enjoyment goodbye, as you'll be wasting Long minutes trying to find the right page/sector/Quadrant/parsec where the map is located, and then many more trying to get back to where you were.

Still cant complain for having books when travelling, being able to pack a couple of dozen different books for 300g is not too shabby! :)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"[...] the ultra-low resolution and maximum JPEG compression of pictures in e-books renders illustrations like this illegible."

The same happened with a real book. There was an out of copyright PDF version online - but it crawled and jumped erratically when scrolling. So I ordered a printed copy - which was a relatively expensive "print on demand".

The book's contents were a catalogue of sculptures published in a 19th century architectural magazine. Just about every page was a black and white picture with a short title.

Online the pictures were of an adequate resolution. In the printed version they were high contrast with no grey gradation. They were all just unrecognisable black and white smudges. The supplier couldn't see any problem.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"In the printed version they were high contrast with no grey gradation."

Not a surprise. Printing images properly requires a proper printing process, inks and paper - and the original files need to have the proper information, or they have to be added during the printing process. I'm not sure many "print on demand" service will go through a proper process for a single print, but for a very high price, I'm afraid.

Even "expensive" edition may not get it right - I bought the catalogue of an exhibition of Manet's painting a few months ago, and I was totally disappointed by many images - I wowed to inspect better any of them I'll buy in the future.

But I have also many books about photographers' work that are printed excellently, in B/W or color.

2. John Lilburne

Most digitized books, especially those by Google, are atrocious when it comes to illustrations. They are indeed grey/black smudges lacking the detail of the originals. Mind you some of the hardcopy reprints of out-of-copyright books are equally atrocious. I recall a 'complete' Sherlock Holmes book where the illustrations were scanned with an over-the-top contrast. Comparing those illustrations with those in the original Strand Magazine was a revelation as to just how butchered some of these things can be.

That said I dislike e-books intensely they do not give me the same tactile feel. I can't quickly scan back through the pages to relocate something. Having read a book I can recall where in the book some information was, and whether it was on the right or left hand page or not. I cannot do that with an e-book. I mostly read non-fiction and like to jump about within the volume, again that is not convenient with e-readers.

So although we have a kindle it is mostly unused.

1. jelabarre59

That said I dislike e-books intensely they do not give me the same tactile feel. I can't quickly scan back through the pages to relocate something. Having read a book I can recall where in the book some information was, and whether it was on the right or left hand page or not. I cannot do that with an e-book. I mostly read non-fiction and like to jump about within the volume, again that is not convenient with e-readers.

ears ago, before e-readers and tablets really caught on, I had suggested an electronic/hardcopy hybrid. It was in the early days of the "e-ink" tech, and I suggested a 500-sheet paperback sized "blank" book, which you would insert a SD card into which contained the contents of the book. It would energize the e-ink to create a simulation of a paperback book which you could flip back-and-forth in, and get the tactile sensation of a physical book. Pretty much impossible to do even now.

8. M.Zaccone

Horses for courses

I love my paperwhite, especially for trashy science fiction. Books have their place still, but it's great to be able to take a wide selection of books with me for less weight than my tattered copy of H2G2.

9. Alan Sharkey

I like my Kindle. I only read sci-fi with no pictures and for that, it's great. It's easier to read for long periods than my phone (the out of date OnePlus 5 !)

I think we must agree to disagree.

Alan

10. Terry 6 Silver badge

Cost

Actually, these days many of the books I want for my Amazon device ( A Fire, not a Kindle anymore) seem to be pretty expensive too. Sometimes almost as much as the printed and delivered book, sometimes even costing more. Other times the Kindle edition does seem to be dirt cheap. So, Guards Guards by Sir Terry comes up as £7 print delivered and £5 Kindle. For a couple of quid I'd choose printed unless I wanted it now or/and portable.

More to the point; Lucy Worsely's book on Jane Austen is actually £13 for Kindle,but just a tenner for the printed version - whereas Jane Austen's actual novels are a fiver printed and £0 for the Kindle download. Sort of makes me a bit mistrustful of Amazon.

1. Seajay#

Re: Cost

That's because you pay VAT on ebooks but not on printed ones.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Mildly irrelevant, the cost difference varies by amounts not in line with VAT. And Kindle ebooks don't have the print and delivery costs. Also 20% of significantly less cost price wouldn't bridge these gaps.

1. Seajay#

I'm not sure it's irrelevant, but yes it's not the whole story.

I suspect that part of the higher cost of ebooks now is that they are under tighter control. You can't resell second hand ones, you can't take them out of the library both of those things limit the price of paper books but not ebooks. Plus it's just plain old market forces; ebooks are more convenient, people will pay higher prices for them, if people will pay more, copyright owners will charge more.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

E-books

still full of the errors that are subsequently corrected in the print version.

still full of the errors that are never corrected.

There fixed it for you.

As a published author with two of my books available on Kindle, I did the good deed and corrected the errors when they were reported to me. I reported errors in other works by other authors who could not care less about the quality of their work. Even glaring factual errors in a non fiction book go uncorrected. One replied to me "Well, for $1.99 what do you expect, Shakespare?" (Yes, that was how it was spelt).

I am probably going to stop publishing new works on Kindle next year. The returns are pitiful. I'm frankly getting better results from lulu.com.

1. BebopWeBop

Re: E-books

Shakespare

well to be fair, the man himself appeared to use many spellings (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelling_of_Shakespeare%27s_name)

2. Stoneshop
      Headmaster

Shakespare

That's in case the original Shakespeare keels over.

12. Teiwaz

Mines a Sovos

Solid, moderately ugly, basic. Fairly good battery, good recharge time, even after 6/7 years.

If it'd landed on the poor doggie, it'd be a vets trip.

1. BebopWeBop
      Joke

Re: Mines a Sovos

Might be better off trying a computer repair shop?

2. Wensleydale Cheese

Re: Mines a Sovos

"If it'd landed on the poor doggie, it'd be a vets trip."

Nah. Labradors have very solid skulls.

You know about it when one comes into contact with your shins, at speed.

13. Richard Parkin

Dog was puzzled you apologised not dazed

Dogs have extraordinarily tough skulls and I’ve often cracked my various dogs on the head with a stick or similar (accidentally), apologised only to find they had not noticed.

14. Artaxerxes

Annoyingly the Kindle Keyboard (original) is far superior to the later ones, Amazon seems to have just gone for touch sensitive display just because when it was far more intuitive to just hit the toggle at the side of the thing to change pages.

Ebook pricing is also still all over the place sadly.

I like e-books and I like my Kindle though, it saves so much space and its lighter and easier than carrying a book a lot of the time.

15. macjules
    Black Helicopters

Glad I am not the only one

Terry Pratchett once wrote that the shortest unit of time was the New York Second: the interval between the traffic light turning off the red light and the cab driver behind you hitting his horn.

I think that this has now been surpassed by the Christmas Second. It is where retailing ends of November 5th fireworks, costumes and other mindless tat (which bear no resemblance to poor old Fawkes and Gatesby's plot), and Christmas shopping begins, "Only xx days to Christmas, get shopping!" scream every shop window, TV commercials suddenly change to endless bloody Chanel #5 ads, various retail giants try to outdo each other with vomit-inducing "caring" ads and so on.

This year I am being shoe-horned into "everyone has Alexa, so we don't need keys to get in after school" (not happening while I am alive), "iPhone 8 or X are so cool, everyone has one" (no they don't - your iPhone 5c is all you need for WhatsApp etc) and this is only November.

Icon because, yes I want to retire to my bunker: wake me up on 26th December.

1. Alistair
      Windows

Re: Glad I am not the only one

"Icon because, yes I want to retire to my bunker: wake me up on 26th December."

Sadly, the week after has become just as vile, "The stuff you didn't get that you were whining about before christmas" sales.

I'd shoot for January 12th.

1. MrT

Re: I'd shoot for January 12th...

Ahh, mid-January... adverts for summer holidays in full swing, shops stocking up on Easter eggs, and every magazine picked from a newsagent shelf shedding offers to start saving a fiver a week for hampers for Christmas 2018 all across the shop floor...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I think "Do Like the Bears Do" by The Shrinks may be up your street:

http://theshrinks.com/lyricsMoreDamned1.html

2. Wensleydale Cheese

"Terry Pratchett once wrote that the shortest unit of time was the New York Second: the interval between the traffic light turning off the red light and the cab driver behind you hitting his horn."

The Parisian version of that is the entire queue behind you is watching for the light changing and the entire queue behind you hitting their horns.

They don't muck around with first driver setting off, then second driver setting off, either. They all set off in unison. Failure to comply with this rule means you get a gentle (or not so gentle) nudge from the car behind.

1. Peb

“the entire queue behind you is watching for the light changing ” I wish to god they did this here (uk) to counteract the number of times I’m sat in a queue watching a green light and shouting ‘just what colour do you want it to be! Move!

1. peter_dtm

Like we used to do in London in the 70s ? It took a while to learn not to do that in Manchester (may have been something to do with the endless chucking down of rain affecting brain cells and visibility)

I really hate those who engage brain only after the lights have changed; then their brain has to engage a forward gear; release handbrake; count to 10 in ancient Babylonian before finally moving off at 0.1 inch per sec squared.

2. Terry 6 Silver badge

Which I'd actually prefer to the English version, which seems to be to wait until the car ahead is actually moving before even releasing the hand brake of your own car.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Wensleydale Cheese

I live part of the year in the Paris area and the other part of the year in a large Turkish city. Compared to their local Turkish counterparts I fınd Parisian drivers to be rather mild mannered actually.

3. strum

> the shortest unit of time was the New York Second

That was a Johnny Carson gag from the 1960s (and probably not original, even then).

16. Known Hero
    Happy

YAY

2CV Reference !!!

1. DanceMan
      Facepalm

Re: YAY

"viewed through the windscreen of a Citroën 2CV while driving down a motorway on a rainy night"

I'll see your 2CV and raise you a Porsche 944 parked outside in rainy Vancouver. For the first 10 blocks after starting off you have to squeegee the inside of the windscreen regularly until things heat up and clear. I think there's as much moisture inside as outside.

17. David Nash Silver badge

It would be very handy if Amazon provided a copy of the Kindle version when you bought a proper book, in a similar way to their "AutoRip" where they provide MP3 versions of CDs you buy.

1. Alan Sharkey

I did ask about that when they first started Kindle books up as I have quite a collection of real books too, purchesed from Amazon when they were a bookstore. Needless to say, the answer was a resounding "NO"!

2. Mage Silver badge

if Amazon provided a copy of the Kindle version when you bought a proper book,

It's up to the publishers, not actually Amazon unless it's their copyright or publishing rights title.

I provide DRM-free copy (any format) of eBook if people buy paper version. No mechanism on Amazon or CreateSpace or Barnes & Noble, so folks have to use contact form and some sort of proof of purchase.

http://www.corvidspress.com/contact-us/

I'll be shipping audio versions soon. But Audible only lets you stream, so I'll offer CD, Cassette or download on Corvids Press with included eBook.

Most stupid things are because of actual publishers. Like DRM, which is just as evil as copyright violation, aka "Piracy". Piracy isn't theft, like nicking a physical book, CD or DVD. It's really worse if you make it available to others.

1. J. Cook Silver badge

Re: if Amazon provided a copy of the Kindle version when you bought a proper book,

Yep; the publishers also set the pricing, which is why the electronic version of the book costs the same as the print version, even though the actual manufacturing cost of the electronic version is fraction of a single percent of the print version's price. (I'll not get into the royalties- that way madness lies.)

1. Phil Endecott

Re: if Amazon provided a copy of the Kindle version when you bought a proper book,

> the actual manufacturing cost of the electronic version is fraction of a

> single percent of the print version's price

The 20% VAT largely makes up for that, though.

(This should change eventually.)

2. Terry 6 Silver badge

That's an interesting point; also perhaps explains the strange pricing ratios I moaned about earlier, with some ebooks costing close to, or greater than, printed books. maybe some publishers just don't want to sell ebooks instead of paper ones.

18. handleoclast
    Coat

The one place a paperback is better

Is the toilet. When you're having a crap. And notice at the Magnus Magnusson stage (I've started, so I'll finish) that you've run out of toilet paper. You can rip pages out of a paperback in this sort of emergency. A kindle isn't up to the task.

1. J. Cook Silver badge
      Go

Re: The one place a paperback is better

Two, actually:

If you drop an e-reader into the tub, it's unlikely to survive. a paper book fares much better.

(Yes, I already know about putting the silly thing into a plastic baggie/waterproof case/ etc.)

1. RFC822

Re: The one place a paperback is better

If you drop an e-reader into the tub, it's unlikely to survive.

Isn't the (stupidly expensive) Kindle Oasis meant to be waterproof?

19. hammarbtyp

Still not what I'm looking for...

I have had two e-readers, a Sony which died after 3 weeks of frustrating usage and an original kindle.

My original purpose was to read technical PDF's on something other than a laptop screen. However you quickly find the limitations. Not only do diagrams rarely render well, but they are poorly designed for random access.

My other reason was the whisper net which I reasoned I could use instead of a (then) expensive phone on camping trips for weather forecasts. However the experience was much akin to the WAP experience and the experiment quickly faded. It did however introduce me to the idea and benefits of the always connected experience.

Still when i go on holiday, I dump 10 Sci Fi novels on it and work my way through them. For that it is great

On the other hand I am still looking for a way to read my vast collection of PDF's. Tablets are power hungry, and illuminated screens are not the most restful. PC screens are the wrong form factor. I'm still waiting for a A4 e-reader with high resolution for a reasonable price. It has been promised many times, but somehow never achieved.

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: Still not what I'm looking for...

PDFs

You need 9.7" DXG (gone) or 13" Sony (gone) or at a minimum the 6.7" Kobo Aura H2O, but it now has dropped the SD card slot. The Kobo One ought to work, but rubbish SW.

Ten books is too few. My eBook is about 1/3 full (excluding SD card which I use for PDFs) at about 1100 books. About half are read. Many are from www.gutenberg.org but some from archive.org. No pirate copies.

1. TheVogon

Re: Still not what I'm looking for...

"PDFs

You need 9.7" DXG (gone) or 13" Sony (gone)"

That's what the Kindle DX was for.

20. RealBigAl

Holiday reading

I read Pat Rothfuss' "Name of the Wind" on my kindle. I was mystified when the hero was sent to the Crockery to learn to fly, which was in the description, filled with birds. Took me a while to work it out.

Clearly some automatic spell checker had decided to replace Rookery with Crockery on the e-version and no proof reading had picked it up.

My original kindle with e-ink or whatever it is called still gets a regular holiday every year. Easier to transport than half a dozen books. great for reading in direct sunlight. It rarely gets further outings.

21. Potemkine! Silver badge

Really inappropriate

Driving a 2cv on a motorway is like using a kayak to cross the Atlantic ocean, it may work but it is not fitted for that!

That car was fantastic, able to go everywhere. When many other cars would have been stopped , the "Deudeuche" would go, slowly but surely. It was indeed all the opposite of the Kindle and all these shiny gadgets you change every two years because of the next generation new shiny gadget. A time when usability and reliability meant more than showing off... nostalgia of a time gone with the wind...

22. Gene Cash Silver badge

Not just pictures

They can't get footnotes right at all. Back when Kindle & Nook and all that crap came out, I tried out a couple of Discworld books that had a ton of footnotes.

Results:

* Footnotes at the end of the book with a clickable link to them... but no way to get back

* Footnotes at the end of the book

* Footnotes at the end of the chapter. Sometimes.

* Oh yeah there was a footnote here. Can't find it though!

* NO FOOTNOTES FOR YOU!

I always thought the best way to implement footnotes would be a tappable link that popped up a tooltip-style box, but apparently none of the ebook people agree.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Re: Not just pictures

Big problem with the feetnotes: no page to have a foot at. Your approach of a tooltip box is by far the best but I haven't found a good way to do it.

For now, when I convert text to ebook, I've resorted to putting the footnote inline [* in square brackets].

But it's a real shame... particularly on this Kobo which already *has* this mechanism for the dictionary definitions.

I think that the link to the footnote and return to where you are ought to work - the reader is just rendering xhtml - but does require the manual creating of the links there and back.

2. Chris Holford

Re: Not just pictures; NO FOOTNOTES FOR YOU! ?

Funnily enough I'm just reading

A Tour Through the Whole Island of Great Britain (English Library)

Kindle Edition

Sold by Amazon Media EU S.à r.l.

and it does have footnotes. If you touch the footnote number a box pops up with the start of the footnote; touch 'go to footnotes' and it takes you to the full footnote, after reading the footnote touch the footnote number and it takes you back to the text.

First time I've come across this feature. It's very welcome and works well in this book.

BTW dodgy OCR is not limited to ebooks; I've often come across it in print books as well. -especially in new editions of old books.

1. rmason

Re: Not just pictures; NO FOOTNOTES FOR YOU! ?

I was just about to post the same thing.

Footnotes always work for me (huge STP fan). You're either taken to the end of the book, to the relevant one, and then 'back' at the top returns you to where you were, or you get it in a pop up you can 'x' out of.

(paperwhite, love the thing, in use every_single_day)

3. TheDillinquent
      FAIL

Re: Not just pictures - FOOTNOTES

Footnotes are perfectly doable and ereaders will handle them by popping up an overlaid box. The reason they are so often so poorly implemented is usually that publishers won't pay for someone to properly build and format the ebooks, preferring the cheapskate option of getting the office girl/boy to run the author's Word.doc through some bit of software that spits out a poorly formatted epub. GIGO applies here.

As with most things, the end-user experience has been sacrificed in order to save a few pennies because publishers are now run by those leeches who know the cost of everything but the value of nothing.

23. AndrueC Silver badge
    Thumb Up

My Kindle got me back into reading books. Paperbacks tend to make my wrists and hands ache these days. So far my Kindle doesn't. A large screen might be useful in a few years though as having adjusted the font (something you can't do with paper books) I'm now turning pages a lot more often.

But I now carry around with me a device that has over three hundred books of which around a dozen are waiting to be read. I typically read an hour every day which equates to a paperback a week. Definitely my favourite device :)

24. ysth

Who needs kindles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP_1T64XQXA

25. T. F. M. Reader

Reading taste fit for Kindle

By now I have done a bit of backtesting at least twice in order to decide whether a Kindle would be a worthwhile purchase: went over my dead tree Amazon purchases over a year or two back and checked whether there were Kindle versions that I could have bought instead. Only about 25% of the books I paid Amazon for were offered on Kindle, and for those the prices were invariably the same or just a penny or a cent (I use both amazon.com and amazon.co.uk) less than the cheapest printed edition (always new). Conclusion: I'll live without Kindle for now. Though maybe it's time to repeat the experiment again...

Yes, this probably means that my reading taste is not completely aligned with bestsellers.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Missed the point

Mr Dabbs has missed the point - it's not so much an issue of a dog in the daytime, but daytime in a dog.

As the Victorians discovered, nothing sharpens the aesthetic senses quite as much as inserting one's head into an eviscerated animal carcass. However, Mr G. Marx voiced the age-old problem : Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. Our ancestors would marvel at the Kindle Paperwhite, and the miraculous opportunity it affords to finally read inside a dog.

27. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

I don't read that many books, and the ones I do are non-fiction like 'Sapiens - a brief history of humankind'. But when I do read a book, I read it on my iPad, or if it's not to hand, even my phone. If I read more books, I'd probably buy a kindle. But some books, particularly reference books, how-to books or books with illustrations, I feel would be better in dead-tree format.

But what's odd to me, is that my children, who are still just under 20 years old, for all the tech that they embrace, always prefer reading actual printed books. They'll generally eschew electronic formats if at all possible, even if it means carrying more weight around.

28. Muscleguy
    Devil

Other eReaders are available

I have a Kobo, spooked by Amazon going into people's kindles and stealing their book from them. I wanted both nothing to do with that and I'm not wonderful about Amazon either.

I find it renders pictures reasonably well. But then I started doing Science back in the 1980s when you had to actually go to the Med or Science library to read the literature as pdfs and the web hadn't been invented yet. Which meant if you wanted to peruse a paper at leisure you photocopied it, in greyscale. Gorgeous fluorescent pictures rendered in black and white, delicate greyscale electron microscope pictures rendered down.

We survived. Believe me eBook pictures are not that bad. You kiddies don't know you are born.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Other eReaders are available

"But then I started doing Science back in the 1980s when you had to actually go to the Med or Science library to read the literature as pdfs and the web hadn't been invented yet."

The journal publishers have done their best to ensure that that still applies. If your target market is also prepared to provide your product FoC why shouldn't you keep charging extortionate prices even if your cost of sales falls to a fraction of what it was?

29. HmmmYes

I love my kindle. On second now - keyboard to paperwhite, which i fantastic.

Useful for all the rfs i wade thru. And nerd books.

30. KG6EAR

You're ignoring the better eBook format completely.

Why would anyone even talk complain about Amazon Kindles like they were relevant after Apple put out its iBooks format on iPhones, Macs and iPads years ago. Fully interactive, stunningly clear color photos and interactive animation even. The map for your adventure novel can have a hyperlink on every page straight to it. No downside to their format. No advertisements. No fuss. Complete quality fonts and smooth scrolling brilliance. Quite pleasant to read on a Retina-display equipped iPad. A automatic preference to reverse screen color putting white text on black backgrounds at nighttime is awesome for those readers who don't want to destroy their night vision with trying to read black type on blinding white displays in a dark setting. Smaller iPads make great readers for casual reading. And well the battery life might not be "weeks" because it is a full functional gaming unit, it's good enough. The additional ability to play audio tracks so books can have theme music, show videos to explain important points or add audio explanations to map points walk-throughs for technical diagrams or any other reason for using audio adds many further capabilities beyond what any book format could ever do before. It is in fact the one format that blows everything else out of the water. Better than paper. Better than ePub. Nothing else comes close. Take a look https://www.apple.com/ibooks/

I've been writing a D.I.Y. solar book in the format and I can tell you this I wouldn't even consider publishing in a different eBook format. It wouldn't be worth my time. The other formats were crushed in their infancy the second the Apple iBook format was released putting the first total quality eBook format out in the world.

31. doug_bostrom

My favorite:

"May I ask a question?"

"You just did."

32. peter_dtm

Tried e-readers when they cam e out and was not impressed - complete Luddite mode from the Publishing mafia; no attempt to use technology to improve the product and slashing the price while improving margins massively !

Once I found Baen.com for sci-fi needs and BookBub for an endless supply (frequently resulting in purchase of other books by the same author; see also Baen.com regarding his free library) I then used MegaReader on my ithings- but have recently gone completely native & imported ALL my Baen.com purchases to iBooks.

Night reading - black paper; white text auto dimmed; so can read peacefully all night if the mood (or sleeplessness) takes me; & swmbo doesn’t moan & groan about the light being on.

No more hunting for books around the house bookcases/piles/loft (only to realize it’s at my sister’s place)

No more forgetting to pack current book(s) when off on a job/jolly

No more hunting for where I got to (don’t you DARE dog ear ny books) - because the bookmark dropped out/dust cover slipped (frequent occurrence in hotels).

Baen.com publishes in all formats; and you can download as many times in as many formats as you want. Any publisher/retailer not offering that service is only licensing you the ability to read and the book can never be yours.... Hmmm; don’t know about iBook & if you can export an iBook book.... I suspect Calibre will have the answer for that; but haven’t used it since i gave up on bespoke ebook readers.

Being really shortsighted; the iPhone is an incredible reader ! Don’t need my glasses/contact lens late at night..... and the iPad is great for when I have got my ‘eyes’ in/on (and iBooks synch as you would expect; I assume all ebook readers do nowadays ?)

33. Tom 7

Is it possible to really read a technical book on one?

It didnt seem to be the case when I tried. I'm currently reading a >1300 page book on AI. I have a dozen paper bookmarks in it and often three or four fingers for near instant cross referencing. By the time I've retrained myself to do that on a kindle I'll have finished the book.

I've tried reading fiction on one and found it also lacks the quick flick back and forth as it seems to encourage one handed reading which means a complete body movement to free the other hand from the back of the neck to free it up for kindle use.

Everything about it seems to make reading just that little bit harder.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like