back to article Aussie Catholic School forced into hasty cover-up over suggestive Saint

A Catholic School in Australia has been left red-faced after a newly commissioned statue of a revered saint appeared to be offering to share more than a few loaves and fishes with the little children. Blackfriar’s Priory in Adelaide wanted to beautify its grounds with a statute of beloved Peruvian St Martin de Porres …

1. frank ly

Some people ....

.... see what they want to see.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Some people ....

That's religious people for you.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That's atheists for you.

See, two can play at name calling......

1. LaeMing
          FAIL

@AC, as you amply demonstrate, two can't.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

and go out of their way to be offended.

1. jake Silver badge

And some go out of their way to celebrate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maiden_Paps

2. Chris G

I had to click on the link, The people who see anything suggestive and/or offensive in that shadow seriously need to get real and get a life.

I was under the impression that it was their god who came up with breasts in the first place as a convenient system for feeding babies, where is the problem.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I had to click on the link, The people who see anything suggestive and/or offensive in that shadow seriously need to get real and get a life.

If you consider that it is being installed at a school, I think you'll find that a couple of swift strokes with a pupil's marker pen would make a profound difference to the statue.

1. snellasaurus

I think the poster above was referring to the SF 'breast shadow' building rather than the statue in the school. I despair at the level of comprehension shown by the upvoters...

3. chivo243 Silver badge
    Coat

Sense of humor

Really, this is funny from an order to production standpoint:

Buyer: Here is a photo of a picture of him giving bread

Middle man: Yes, yes, next?

Sculptor: If that's what the customer wants....

Either that, or someone along the line has a *cough* sense of humor...

1. Captain DaFt

Re: Sense of humor

Either that, or someone along the line has a *cough* sense of humor...

Eh, not the first time it's happened with a statue.

Sometimes, through nobody's fault, these things just slip out. ☺

4. Eddy Ito
    Trollface

Seems fitting, it is a Catholic school after all.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The small boy gently cupping the loaf of bread really does tie it in nicely, doesn't it?

2. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Anonymous Coward
    Angel

Trivia time!--St. Martin de Porres

Founder of the well-known Catholic parental admonishment against pleasuring oneself was also known as St. Martin the Blind.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now that's what you call daily bread.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

I like bread! Without any mayo, obviously...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well, they do call it the Staff of Life...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"When you should have got Michelangelo to sculpt your school statue"

... well, as Michelangelo didn't seem to believe in his sculptures wearing clothes and I expect a Michelangelo "David" with small child might cause even more consternation!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"[...] Michelangelo "David" with small child might cause even more consternation!"

Something like this Bacchus?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Church artworks open to misinterpretation

Other Church artworks that are open to misinterpretation:

Monument of Junípero Serra (with Juaneño Indian boy) on the Plaza de San Francisco de Asis in Havana, Cuba. There are others on the same theme in the US south here and here. His elevation to a saint caused some public protests.

This stained glass window in St. Francis by the Sea Laguna Beach, California takes the prize. Pictures of this window did the rounds about 10 years ago when the Catholic Church scandals were being revealed.

9. PhilipN Silver badge

Graphic

Our Maths teacher drew the usual X and Y axes on the board. Then a line proceeding (for the non-mathematicians) in a drooping North Easterly direction from the origin. A second line in an equally drooping South Easterly direction from the origin, you might say swivelled 90 degrees round clockwise from the first.

Bored 13-year olds start sniggering. "I don't know what made me draw that" he said (probably for the thousandth time).

Ain't nature wonderful.

10. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Devil

Next time just sculpt Mohammed

See what rolls next.

(And then is buried in the news because fascists lying in wait for the next time (to paraphrase Pink Floyd) must not be given a reason to get loud)

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cream cheese

anyone?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pork bun?

2 Corinthians 9:10

He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness.

13. a_yank_lurker

Oops!

I laughed when I looked at the picture. It does look with a quick glance that the saint is holding his ahem. Swambo also thought it was funny when she saw it.

Were any sketches made before the statue was created?

14. Michael Thibault

Oh, please! Jesus and Mary

Gravity doesn't work that way. At all. Very apparently.

15. redpawn

It's not the thing in their hands,

it's their expressions while doing it that makes it... well you know, Catholic.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That's not a bun

THIS is a bun!

17. Amorous Cowherder

It's one of those things where at someone suggests it looks a little rude, then we might all snigger at first sight. However after staring at it for a few more seconds it doesn't look at all rude, it's obvious that what's in his hand is just a round lump of something that is in no way attached to the body and doesn't suggest a phallus at all. You come down to earth and realise it's a religious statue, no one's likely to deliberately make a rude statue in church grounds and you simply need to grow up a little bit and see it for what it really is, just a statue.

Although it's given the church a full boost of worldwide PR which never hurts to raise a few more shekels in the old church purse!

1. The Indomitable Gall

" You come down to earth and realise it's a religious statue, no one's likely to deliberately make a rude statue in church grounds and you simply need to grow up a little bit and see it for what it really is, just a statue. "

It's for a school. Yes, the people looking at it and seeing it as rude need to grow up -- that's why they're called "children".

18. Private Citizen.AU

A little context goes a long way

A love an honest mistake, and filth is in the mind of the beholder, but there is a dark history

"In the past 12 years, at least two former Blackfriars teachers — Stephen John Stockdale-Hall and Ronald William Hopkins — have been jailed for sexually abusing students at the school."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-22/statue-of-saint-and-child-creates-stir/9180724

To be fair a lot of religious institutions and schools have been mentioned in a recent Royal Commission on Child Abuse.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm still waiting for the second coming.

1. jake Silver badge

I've noticed that ...

... folks who make that particular "joke" are usually waiting on the first.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I've noticed that ...

It's always best to come second.

20. Tigra 07
    Pint

Dirty minds...

Can't believe some people are actually looking at that statue and seeing a loaf of bread...

1. jmch Silver badge
      Devil

Re: Dirty minds...

"Can't believe some people are actually looking at that statue and seeing a loaf of bread..."

Yep. It's like the London Olympic logo. Once you see Lisa Simpson, you can't unsee her.

1. Tigra 07
        Facepalm

Re: Dirty minds...

Or the Resident Evil 6 logo...That's clearly bestiality with a giraffe...

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It works the other way t00

The Berlin radio tower under DDR control reflected a cross at its top in the days of the wall--and they couldn't get rid of it after much effort.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Very tame

For over the top church ornament, you can't go past the "Sheela na gig" reliefs in a number of Celtic churches. Just look them up and just think how some celibate mediaeval monk thought that they were appropriate.

23. Mr. Fatuous
    Devil

Cup the cobs,

work the baguette.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon