back to article Massive US military social media spying archive left wide open in AWS S3 buckets

Three misconfigured AWS S3 buckets have been discovered wide open on the public internet containing "dozens of terabytes" of social media posts and similar pages – all scraped from around the world by the US military to identify and profile persons of interest. The archives were found by UpGuard's veteran security-breach …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

YABCSP

Yet Another Bloody Cloud Security Problem.

Now if all these were on premises and behind the mandatory MIL Spec Firewall (or three) it would not be news.

Putting your faith in the Cloud seems to expose any little issue to the world (every man and his dog, cat and mouse)

And the PHB's, Governments are all queing up to move everything lock stock and NHS Records into this possibly/blatantly insecure environment.

We are surely doomed, doomed.

1. Gordon 10

Re: YABCSP

The tech is as last as secure as your average company firewall - it's no different to leaving dozens of open ports in your firewall.

Arguably locking down an S3 bucket is a damn sight easier than configuring an enterprise class firewall.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Unhappy

"result of trying to hire the cheapest sysadmin money can buy."

I think they succeeded.

2. dan1980

@Oliver Jones

"Not really a cloud problem - just the inevitable result of trying to hire the cheapest sysadmin money can buy."

Yes and no. I think the problem is two-fold but both related to the 'cloud'. First, you have the notion that the cloud is cheap, cheap, cheap and quick, quick, quick. The second is the feeling of outsourcing to 'the cloud'.

The two concepts work together with the result that people using the cloud may have a tendency to view it all as someone else's problem - the outsourcing and cheap prices means that you just don't have to be as rigorous as you might with in-house solutions.

Not in all cases, by any means but it's a pervasive theme - it's a trap that is apparently easy for people to fall into and the marketing and reporting of cloud-based services bolster that.

3. Amorous Cowherder

To be honest this is not a cloud problem, as usual it's a "weakest link" problem. Security is only as good as the weakest link. Most cloud based systems are secure by default. Heck, AWS dumps you into a VPC by default. It's the morons and idiots that open up the security 'cos it's always easier to just switch it off than to actually bother to learn about the security mechanisms correctly.

The same old story I've seen for donkey's years in IT. The vendor that insists on having root/Administrator/SYSADMIN to install their shitty little application that write 3 records a day to a database. The lazy developer who writes code that only works with sysadmin permissions. The moronic operators who share the sysadmin passwords with all an sundry.

Just 'cos we've moved to the cloud doesn't mean these fecking eejits have gone away. The Cloud (tm) cannot fix stupidity, it might be useful but it ain't that good!

1. flyfisher111

As we say here in the US, you can't fix stupid, even with duct tape.

1. handleoclast

Re: you can't fix stupid, even with duct tape

Are you sure about that?

Duct tape wrists behind back. Duct tape over mouth. Duct tape over nostrils.

Stupid fixed in minutes.

2. Stoneshop
          Holmes

As we say here in the US, you can't fix stupid, even with duct tape.

Oh, you can. No problem.

You just have to make sure to dispose of the body afterwards without leaving traces pointing to you.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

...dispose of the body afterwards ... I find that in the Southern states, an alligators and some local swamp in the back 40 are good at this.

2. kain preacher

That's getting of stupid not fixing stupid.

1. handleoclast

@kain preacher

That's getting of stupid not fixing stupid.

How else would you fix stupid? If you manage to educate the person, the stupid is no longer there. If you remove the person from situations where the stupid is not a problem, the stupid is no longer there (in the place where it caused you problems). I just gave you a quicker, and more certain, way of removing the problem, which fixes the problem.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yeah, it is not specifically a 'cloud' problem. However from my experience the move to 'cloud' meant that the people who had direct responsibility for things like the Company Firewall were 'let go' or 'rightsized' or whatever. The snake-oil salesman from AWS or Azure or whoever promised that it would all be taken care of and that the company didn't need to bother with these home grown experts any longer. It would all be done automatically.

Yeah and pigs might fly someday.

The PHB's and beancounters saw the reduction in expensive headcount as a guarantee that their job was safe for a bit longer.

I now spend some of my days quietly telling prospective developers that they are wasting their time learning to code. It will all be done by AI within 10 years.. They should learn AI and Robotics skills instead. The rest of the time, I'm in my shed making stuff from wood.

1. EarthDog

Not just reduction in head count but in shifting liability.

2. Stoneshop
          Boffin

Yeah and pigs might fly someday.

A couple of JATO rockets, a set of wings and a bunch of ty-raps would do the trick I'd think.

Knowing where the flight will end is a matter of plugging the right numbers into some formulas, which will at least tell you the area to keep out of.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Just 'cos we've moved to the cloud doesn't mean these fecking eejits have gone away."

It just gives them something else to get wrong.

4. Bernard2017

Sysadmin permissions? You mean root? Please tell me you don't use IIS or whatever they call it now.

4. Oh Homer
      Mushroom

I'm more interested in (or rather, depressed by) witnessing yet another example of America's obsession with controlling the planet, then whitewashing the true motive with the usual "terrorism" rhetoric (where the definition of "terrorism" seems to be "anything that doesn't support the notion of American supremacism").

Leaks like these only confirm, over and over again, what we've already known for decades.

5. vytas

No, you troglodyte. The point is they didn't configure it behind the mandatory firewall. Just because it's on a different network segment is no reason not to ACL it.

6. CriticalCat

Assuming of course that the information wasn't released deliberately.

Its not exactly ground breaking news!

2. JimC

Mind you

if all this stuff is publicly accessible and visible social media posts...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

... the archive was collected as part of the US government's Outpost program, which is a social media monitoring and influencing campaign designed to target overseas youths and steer them away from terrorism.

So:

US military messing with social networks trying to influence overseas citizens to behave in ways they like = good.

Russian military messing with social networks trying to influence overseas citizens to behave in ways they like = bad.

Got it, thanks. It's all clear now.

1. JimC

Got it, thanks. It's all clear now.

I must admit the arrant hypocrisy is somewhat glaring. The west has shown no hesitation whatsoever in telling other countries citizens how to vote. Indeed I seem to remember a US President stepping in loudly on the UKs EU referendum.

Hell, its probably even the duty of one's spooks to try and influence other nations' voters to vote in a way that advantages their own country. And its interesting (and depressing) to consider how much damage has been done round the world in the last decade or so as a result of the US' rather romantic view of revolutions, which is all tied up with their own self deceiving vision of their history.

This side of the pond we're a bit more aware that revolutions tend to put bad guys in power, even if they are on the right side... and even if they *are* on the right side they are still bad guys.

1. eldakka

Re: Got it, thanks. It's all clear now.

That's what I don't get about the whole "fake news" and "Russian hacking of political parties private, civilian" systems kerfuffle is about.

For the last few hundred years, what we seem to now be calling fake news directed at political interference, was called propoganda.

Everyone did, and still does it.

State sponsored radio/television stations that broadcast into foreign territory promoting you interests. Funding interests groups. Providing arms, money, intelligence, training to rebels. Political assassinations. Treaties with carrot/stick elements (e.g. TPP...) that might influence the potential treaty partners government/bureaucracy/business/citizenry along a certain path. Air-dropping flyers/pamphlets saying how good you are and how bad they are. All the way up to outright military invasion.

Everyone from tin-pot dictatorships to superpowers does it to influence their neighbours. The only real difference is the definition of neighbours - for tin-pots it's usually countries with shared borders, for superpowers it's the entire world.

2. oldvlc

Yes, well Obozo was a pathetic neophyte and I am sorry for his arrogance. That arrogance, especially when dealing with our 'opposition' party, did great damage to the reputation of a once ok country. And his operatives tried to upend Israeli elections also if you recall. The current state of US politics is chaotic. I don't recall in my lifetime more rancor here.

1. JimC

Re: The current state of US politics is chaotic. I don't recall in my lifetime more rancor here.

Yes, same this side of the pond. I think its a major problem for our political system. Whereas the other party were once "people with some strange ideas who I suppose probably mean well" now they are "evil monsters who want to destroy civilisation as we know it".

And the result of having two sides who gallop for the extremes can only be bad for the rest of us.

3. Alistair
        Windows

@ JimC:

"consider how much damage has been done round the world in the last decade or so as a result "

Decade? Dear lord man. CENTURY!

2. EarthDog

It depends on which side you want to win. Me, I'm sticking with the obese cheeseburger eaters because *no ne* of value likes borscht.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

It depends on which side you want to win. Me, I'm sticking with the obese cheeseburger eaters because *no ne* of value likes borscht.

+1 for the борьщ reference. Valid point.

I shudder at the the thought while admiring the metabolism of anyone capable of digesting a real one - the one where you stick a spoon and it stays vertical for at least half a minute before starting to slowly tilt to one side. Compared to borsht cheeseburgers and Mountain Due are diet food.

By the way, if you think Russian borsht is horrid, wait until you try the Ukrainian take on it (Ukrainian cusine is essentially Russian, but with a double dose of cholesterol). Unfortunately we did not take this one into account when taking sides (maybe we should have).

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

+1 for the борьщ reference. Valid point.

It's "борщ", not "борьщ". And it is quite tasty and rather healthy.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

It's "борщ", not "борьщ"

I stand corrected. Too much time spent in other Slavic countries so my Russian spell-fu occasionally gets confused :)

As far as healthy... If you are going out in -20C to chop wood - yes. If you are eating it and then going back to a desk job - I beg to differ.

A properly done single portion of the Russian variety exceeds the daily dose of cholesterol and and calories intake for an adult male. The Ukrainian variety is outright lethal unless you have grown up with it so your stomach can digest stuff like that.

3. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

US military messing ... = good.

Russian military messing ... = bad

I think it's more generic than that:

Us messing = good

Them messing = bad.

It's always been like that, and always will be. No news here.

4. The_Idiot

Meanwhile...

... 'give us back doors to, like, _everything_! I mean, we'll keep them safe and secret, we promise!'

Sigh.

1. EarthDog

Re: Meanwhile...

They did say they would pinky swear.

5. Amorous Cowherder
    Facepalm

Wow, 17PB of pictures of cats, people moaning about work, comments on the latest sports event and those bloody annoying memes that remind you to give yourself a "mental hug" every day. Hmmm, valuable stuff indeed!

1. eldakka

Not to mention all the sex tapes/photos that are probably doing the rounds amongst the administrators and their friends...

1. leenex

Don't mention pizzas. That can get you shot.

6. Captain DaFt

Hmm, I wonder..

"Massive US military social media spying archive left wide open in AWS S3 buckets"

Or could it be: "How to pull a Snowden without becoming a Snowden?

The timing does seem to be suspicious what with all the "Russians are gaming our elections!!" hype recently.

7. Triumphantape

Meh

I'm fairly certain you aren't going to get much intelligence from "social media" posts. /smirk

8. oldvlc

This is why I sparingly post. Think of all the organizations out there eager to nail anyone, not

only the US military.

9. TXITMAN

I wonder

How many posts are from el reg?

Department of Homeland Security (DHS)

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)

Coast Guard (USCG)

Customs and Border Protection (CBP)

Border Patrol

Secret Service (USSS)

National Operations Center (NOC)

Homeland Defense

Immigration Customs Enforcement (ICE)

Agent

Task Force

Central Intelligence Agency (CIA)

Fusion Center

Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA)

Secure Border Initiative (SBI)

Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)

Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms (ATF)

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS)

Federal Air Marshal Service (FAMS)

Transportation Security Administration (TSA)

Air Marshal

Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)

National Guard

Red Cross

United Nations (UN)

Assassination

Attack

Domestic security

Drill

Exercise

Cops

Law enforcement

Authorities

Disaster assistance

Disaster management

DNDO (Domestic Nuclear Detection Office)

National preparedness

Mitigation

Prevention

Response

Recovery

Dirty bomb

Domestic nuclear detection

Emergency management

Emergency response

First responder

Homeland security

Maritime domain awareness (MDA)

National preparedness initiative

Militia Shooting

Shots fired

Evacuation

Deaths

Hostage

Explosion (explosive)

Police

Disaster medical assistance team (DMAT)

Organized crime

Gangs

National security

State of emergency

Security

Breach

Threat

Standoff

SWAT

Screening

Lockdown

Bomb (squad or threat)

Crash

Looting

Riot

Emergency

Landing

Pipe bomb

Incident

Facility

Hazmat

Nuclear

Chemical spill

Suspicious package/device

Toxic

National laboratory

Nuclear facility

Nuclear threat

Cloud

Plume

Radiation

Radioactive

Leak

Biological infection (or event)

Chemical

Chemical burn

Biological

Epidemic

Hazardous

Hazardous material incident

Industrial spill

Infection

Powder (white)

Gas

Spillover

Anthrax

Blister agent

Chemical agent

Exposure

Burn

Nerve agent

Ricin

Sarin

North Korea

Outbreak

Contamination

Exposure

Virus

Evacuation

Bacteria

Recall

Ebola

Food Poisoning

Foot and Mouth (FMD)

H5N1

Avian

Flu

Salmonella

Small Pox

Plague

Human to human

Human to Animal

Influenza

Center for Disease Control (CDC)

Drug Administration (FDA)

Public Health

Toxic Agro

Terror Tuberculosis (TB)

Agriculture

Listeria

Symptoms

Mutation

Resistant

Antiviral

Wave

Pandemic

Infection

Water/air borne

Sick

Swine

Pork

Strain

Quarantine

H1N1

Vaccine

Tamiflu

Norvo Virus

Epidemic

World Health Organization (WHO) (and components)

Viral Hemorrhagic Fever

E. Coli

Infrastructure security

Airport

CIKR (Critical Infrastructure & Key Resources)

AMTRAK

Collapse

Computer infrastructure

Communications infrastructure

Telecommunications

Critical infrastructure

National infrastructure

Metro

WMATA

Airplane (and derivatives)

Chemical fire

Subway

BART

MARTA

Port Authority

NBIC (National Biosurveillance Integration Center)

Transportation security

Grid

Power

Smart

Body scanner

Electric

Failure or outage

Black out

Brown out

Port

Dock

Bridge

Cancelled

Delays

Service disruption

Power lines

Drug cartel

Violence

Gang

Drug

Narcotics

Cocaine

Marijuana

Heroin

Border

Mexico

Cartel

Southwest

Juarez

Sinaloa

Tijuana

Torreon

Yuma

Tucson

Decapitated

U.S. Consulate

Consular

El Paso

Fort Hancock

San Diego

Ciudad Juarez

Nogales

Sonora

Colombia

Mara salvatrucha

MS13 or MS-13

Drug war

Mexican army

Methamphetamine

Cartel de Golfo

Gulf Cartel

La Familia

Reynosa

Nuevo Leon

Narcos

Narco banners (Spanish equivalents)

Los Zetas

Shootout

Execution

Gunfight

Trafficking

Kidnap

Calderon

Reyosa

Bust

Tamaulipas

Meth Lab

Drug trade

Illegal immigrants

Smuggling (smugglers)

Matamoros

Michoacana

Guzman

Arellano-Felix

Beltran-Leyva

Barrio Azteca

Artistic Assassins

Mexicles

New Federation

Terrorism

Al Qaeda (all spellings)

Terror

Attack

Iraq

Afghanistan

Iran

Pakistan

Agro

Environmental terrorist

Eco terrorism

Conventional weapon

Target

Weapons grade

Dirty bomb

Enriched

Nuclear

Chemical weapon

Biological weapon

Ammonium nitrate

Improvised explosive device

IED (Improvised Explosive Device)

Abu Sayyaf

Hamas

FARC (Armed Revolutionary Forces Colombia)

IRA (Irish Republican Army)

ETA (Euskadi ta Askatasuna)

Basque Separatists

Hezbollah

Tamil Tigers

PLF (Palestine Liberation Front)

PLO (Palestine Liberation Organization

Car bomb

Jihad

Taliban

Weapons cache

Suicide bomber

Suicide attack

Suspicious substance

AQAP (AL Qaeda Arabian Peninsula)

AQIM (Al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb)

TTP (Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan)

Yemen

Pirates

Extremism

Somalia

Nigeria

Radicals

Al-Shabaab

Home grown

Plot

Nationalist

Recruitment

Fundamentalism

Islamist

Emergency

Hurricane

Tornado

Twister

Tsunami

Earthquake

Tremor

Flood

Storm

Crest

Temblor

Extreme weather

Forest fire

Brush fire

Ice

Stranded/Stuck

Help

Hail

Wildfire

Tsunami Warning Center

Magnitude

Avalanche

Typhoon

Shelter-in-place

Disaster

Snow

Blizzard

Sleet

Mud slide or Mudslide

Erosion

Power outage

Brown out

Warning

Watch

Lightening

Aid

Relief

Closure

Interstate

Burst

Emergency Broadcast System

Cyber security

Botnet

DDOS (dedicated denial of service)

Denial of service

Malware

Virus

Trojan

Keylogger

Cyber Command

Spammer

Phishing

Rootkit

Phreaking

Cain and abel

Brute forcing

Mysql injection

Cyber attack

Cyber terror

Hacker

China

Conficker

Worm

Scammers

Social media

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: I wonder

You missed tails (warning: clicking the link will put you on a list, but please help make it a big list).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You forgot the Mattress Police

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

tl;dr

10. vytas

I dont know....

What's worse, a lowest bidder government contractor, or a government employee.different sides of the same coin?

11. WashingtonWetneck

Computer Security ???

It should be obvious to everyone by now that there is no such thing as "computer security", only the "illusion" of computer security.

It seems that not a week goes by that a new security breech of some sort or another is announced. And this is by firms that make computer security their business, such as the US Department of Defense, Credit bureaus, big banks, etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@WashingtonWetneck

"And this is by firms that make computer security their business"

Has the possibility ever occurred to you that those businesses could also be doing a terrible job? And then obviously blame it on something else.

12. flyfisher111

Its easy to forget that somebody owns that cloud - how much can they be trusted?

I cannot trust them with even my highly unclassified files. Any hacker would surely die from boredom, but I don't trust them not to lose my data.

13. JazzDude

So tired of all the political lies and games… both parties!

HERE, THIS WILL CHEER YOU ALL UP THOUGH!

http://youtu.be/rCBNBD1dm4o

http://youtu.be/F3-TUN7AQbU

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

AWS - Not the only Cloud

AWS is not the only Cloud. It's perhaps the easiest. But serious incompetence all the way around here. Best to go with a Tier 1 enterprise class solution provider instead of something designed for use by Mom & Pops and Pinteresters.

15. HappyJohn

Missed the Point

"...all scraped from around the world by the US military to identify and profile persons of interest."

The point missed: US military created a database using social media to track people. No one else thinks that's scary?

1. Adrian 4

Re: Missed the Point

No one else thinks that's scary?

Yes, but not news.

2. Roj Blake Silver badge

Re: Missed the Point

Scary? Yes.

Surprising? No.

16. steelpillow Silver badge
    Coat

Archive

The Wayback Machine should be told!

17. chivo243 Silver badge

Has to be considered

...these buckets were a free source of information to mine.

Honeypot?

They're gathering social media info, why not info on people who stick their beak into dangerous places?

1. katrinab Silver badge

Re: Has to be considered

I'm guessing that is done by a different department.

In the UK, this sort of thing is done by BBC Monitoring in Caversham whereas the secret stuff is done by GCHQ in Cheltenham, and the even more secret stuff, presumably by another group somewhere else.

18. Chairman of the Bored

Why cloudy?

I'm not going to defend inherent hypocrisy of policy pointed out by previous posters.

But I think I can explain why this is a cloudy mess. Suppose for a moment you're an army civilian or contract employee sitting behind the mil-spec firewall. You are subjected to hundreds of written and unwritten rules concerning config, hardware, software... many different rule sets from warring bureaucracies above you - each eager to prove its the One True Fount of Authority. On the other hand you've got a job to do. On the third hand you can outsource this pain to a fly by night subcontractor - or a dodgy bit of a major contractor - and let them do whatever they want outside your overlord's realm.

Blue or red pill, which will you take?

19. joedrager

Sounds like Amazon is in the CYA mode for the security breach.

20. jlfliberty

Who are these fools in charge today? We have treasonous soldiers walking off the battle field jeopardizing soldiers’ lives resulting in harm to them and nothing is really done about it.

Does anyone think these fools have any clue of how serious security is? Does anyone remember WW2 loose lips sink ships? The men and women in charge of security that were required under threat of treason to keep their mouth shut?

21. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

The hypocrisy is astonishing...

"which is a social media monitoring and influencing campaign designed to target overseas youths and steer them away from terrorism."

An "influencing campaign" huh? Didn't I hear major outcry's a few months ago that the Soviets might have influenced the presidential elections through some posts on social media? That was obviously not done because how dare they try to influence stuff by sharing "false" information.

And here we are, the US doing exactly the same thing. Oh, sure, this time it's different because you're trying to "help the children". Well, bollocks. Everyone will have their reasons, depending on your point of view, but that doesn't change the fact that the hypocrisy is shining. When someone else does something it's foul play and actions need to be taken, but if you yourself do the exact same thing it's suddenly "different"?

I don't think so.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Re: The hypocrisy is astonishing...

No, it's not "different" - they've been doing it for years, it's just that the politicians are suddenly caught by surprise when it's revealed that the "other side" has cottoned on to it and is doing the same thing. That's been well known too in the inner circles of organizations that have no names - it's just that nobody told their masters in the West. So now the public is aghast - the rest of us are yawning.

22. David 55

File listings

Can Amazon just disable file listings already and make it a hard option to activate (and then only for specific users)? This is getting ridiculous.

23. DanielR

I don't believe they scrape. I believe they exploit security holes in the Facebook API. They just need the profile ID.

24. Mark 75

Why is it even on the internet?

25. Sir Runcible Spoon

usually talking to the armed forces is a "one-way street," Vickery said.

Typically to a certain extrajudicial gaol.

I won't put a joke icon on here, because it isn't really that funny. Shooting the messenger has become an international sport these days.

26. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Failing to secure data scraped from public postings on social media

What next? An unsecure database of images taken of advertising billboards?

1. GSTZ

Re: Failing to secure data scraped from public postings on social media

One would assume that by scraping gazillions of postings from social networks the US military wanted to add real value for their own purposes. Whether such activity is good or legal is yet another discussion.

But they certainly did not intend to voluntarily serve that added value to anyone else having access to the Internet (in particular, they probably did not want to provide the results of their work to potential enemies). Even from that very simplicistic perspective, those responsible for handling the collected data did a horrible job that was highly counterproductive.

But they also created a very dangerous asset that was potentially available to everyone. Some postings here and there from some people may be relatively harmless, but creating enormous amounts of data about nearly everyone can be a very dangerous weapon in the hands of other nations/groups with bad intentions. Effectively doing that kind of dirty work for them can't be something not be taken seriously. Some nations including the US and the UK haven't yet experienced a dictatorship ruling their country - some other nations have or had that ugly experience, and hence do value such oldfashioned terms like freedom and democracy.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like