back to article Lloyds' Avios Reward credit cardholders report fraudulent activity

Thousands of Lloyds Avios Rewards American Express credit card customers have been targeted by fraudsters, the bank has admitted. Reports first emerged on air miles site Head for Points, where readers asked if the credit card had suffered a major data breach. One said: "About a week ago my wife's Lloyds Avios Amex card was …

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Blah Blah Blah

Our dedicated Fraud Operations team are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to assist any customers impacted by fraud.

What a wonderful way to produce ZERO infromation and ZERO customer confidence in whole 3 paragraph. That clearly competes for the "most vacuous and meaningless PR statement of the year" award.

Why on earth would you use a middleman instead of going directly to Amex (+/-) BA is beyond me.

There is no need to get that card from Lloyds - you can get it directly.

But... You never know... Every train has its customers and every fraud has its marks.

1. FrogsAndChips Silver badge

Re: Why use a middleman instead of going directly

Every card has its benefits that the other cards don't offer. With the Lloyds card (disclaimer: don't have it, not related, blah blah), if you spend enough you can reveive a free upgrade voucher on a BA flight each year. On the other hand you don't get a sign-up bonus. There are people who happily switch between all credit cards to maximise their bonuses and benefits.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Why use a middleman instead of going directly

I have one of these. You actually get an amex card and a MasterCard. I never use the amex because I have a BA amex which gives you more avios points. The Lloyds one is worth having because a lot of places don't take amex and you also don't pay any commission when using it abroad. The ba amex does, so I avoid using it abroad.

So yes, if you collect avios it is worth having.

It was the amex cards that were stolen. Mine was, despite it never having left my house.

I want answers.

2. wolfetone Silver badge

"A very small number of Lloyds Bank Avios Rewards American Express credit card customers have been affected by recent fraudulent activity. This has affected less than one percent of customers who hold these cards and we have introduced additional controls to provide further protection."

But it's happened. How did it happen? That's what we want to know.

Ever feel like you're in front of a dam, and you can see a few little holes in it pissing out tiny little streams of water, with cracks eminating from them? That's how it feels with the finanical industry and other utility companies and their attitude to holding customer data.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Dunno if it's related, but my Amex card (not Avios, nothing to do with Lloyds) had some fraudulent transaction attempts a few weeks ago. Amex fraud systems blocked the transactions and sent me emails/SMS (I called them on a number I trusted rather than replying direct, obviously...) and it was all sorted out (destroy old card, new one sent out), but now wondering if there's something else going on here.

3. Blotto Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Is it an issue with Lloyds, BA or AMEX

Is it an issue with Lloyds, BA or AMEX

1. JimboSmith Silver badge

Re: Is it an issue with Lloyds, BA or AMEX

It'll likely be with Lloyds or Amex, BA just sell them the Avios and allow them to use their branding.

2. katrinab Silver badge

Re: Is it an issue with Lloyds, BA or AMEX

Lloyds. Amex are acting as the card network in the same way as Visa and Mastercard, though unlike Visa and Mastercard, they also issue their own cards. MBNA (Bank of America) also issue Amex cards. BA allow you to redeem the vouchers you get from Lloyds.

I have the TSB version of this card, which I never use. It started life as a Mastercard from MoreThan, who gave me a pretty decent cashback offer. They sold their credit card business to Lloyds, and it got changed to a Platinum Mastercard, then became the Airmiles Duo and then the Avios Duo. And finaly the TSB Avios Duo when they demerged. I used it for a few months last year when they had a 5% cashback offer for a few months, and stopped using it again when they stopped that offer.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm sure IBM have it all in hand....

1. Blotto Silver badge

we are doomed

5. Paratrooping Parrot
    Paris Hilton

Is the fact that the card details were stolen and Lloyds going down around the same time a coincidence?

6. katrinab Silver badge

Any problems with the TSB version of ths card?

TSB use the same IT system as Lloyds, and used to be the same bank. I checked my account, and there are no transactions and a £0 balance as expected, but do I need to keep monitoring it?

7. sitta_europea Silver badge

Don't worry, everything will be fine now that we've outsourced all our IT.

-- Lloyds spokesperson.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like